Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
32,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this stuff can be carried hidden or out in plain sight I am putting this here.

NRA Women | Adding Pepper Spray to Your Everyday Carry Set
This has to do with carrying pepper spray so I put it here. OC can be carried hidden or out in the open as on a belt.

I will say that I believe in carrying a gel product and do along with a CCW gun and knife as well.

Pepper spray can be carried on the belt of in a pocket.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
I agree and second the gel, I've used the spray on a vicious dog and the wind was blowing right at me. Not a good outcome. The gel is more like wasp spray but thicker. You can see it and where it's going. And the Sabre brand I use I stand by. I like the actuator better. Stick your thumb or finger underneath the top and your good to go.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I think well enough of the Sabre gel that I bought it for my nieces, too.

I have been known to drop one of the small models into a jacket pocket. Outside of jacket wearing weather, it doesn't get carried much. Without the added pockets to spread stuff out (I end up carrying several small specialty tools in my pockets for work along with the other necessities of normal life) something has got to be left out when things warm up.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
I prefer the larger can that's in my post. My wife and daughter carry it in their purses. It's normally in an outside zippered pocket. And in their hand walking to their car at a store. It gives me an extra second to draw and finish what ever the attacker wanted.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I carry bear fogger in the car. I'm not counting on my aim with a tiny can. I'd rather make my car uninhabitable so I can run away and they won't steal it or use the long 30 seconds of spray to leave a trail of unpleasantness so I can run away. Gaining distance or area denial is cool but I'm not attacking anyone with pepper. That gel works great if they sit still or if they rub it in or if you get lucky and get some in the eyes and nose. A big blast to the neck is going to do absolutely nothing though if they don't touch it then their eyes.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
back a few year in the 80s i saw a guy that was high on PCP take a can of pepper spay to face and down his throat. It didn't slow him down much. The exception not the rule for sure.
Less than lethal spray has the same requirements of use as using lethal. A permit required to carry for some places with other restrictions.
If you can get to your spray out in time , you can get your gun. The right tool for the right job. I have pepper spray and carry it if the job calls for it.
I don't do those kind of jobs much. Jobs=put myself in a known place where my edc is not going to be the best option.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'm standing by waiting for the inevitable disagreement discussion as to which caliber of nozzle is best for pepper spray...
caliber ? spray would be what size choke to use.
Thats tuff to do if you ask me. The best choke made is one i will never verify the size of.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
I carry bear fogger in the car. I'm not counting on my aim with a tiny can. I'd rather make my car uninhabitable so I can run away and they won't steal it or use the long 30 seconds of spray to leave a trail of unpleasantness so I can run away. Gaining distance or area denial is cool but I'm not attacking anyone with pepper. That gel works great if they sit still or if they rub it in or if you get lucky and get some in the eyes and nose. A big blast to the neck is going to do absolutely nothing though if they don't touch it then their eyes.
Think about it! If your being attacked by a wasp or more is more than likely and you can hit them with wasp spray you most certainly will be able to hit some lunatic that's running his mouth In a threatening manner. That may not rise to lethal fore but sure rises to your afraid he's batcrap crazy and you need to distance yourself from him.

That is totally legal where I'm at and it is used by women all the time if an aggressive person comes to close.

I'm not big on the little key chain ones I have used them on aggressive dogs with wishing more. That's why I advise the larger can shone in my post. It's very easy to carry. If you are carrying an extra magazine you can carry the larger can right next to it.

We are in a whole new world where people can jump on your car and shooting them has been frowned upon. But a medium can of the good stuff can change their mind. JMO!

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
caliber ? spray would be what size choke to use.
Thats tuff to do if you ask me. The best choke made is one i will never verify the size of. View attachment 479820
As bad as that is, it ain't got UV dye in it that makes him glow purple under black light.;)

Personally, I'd like it if the dye was visible under normal lighting. Be kinda hard to deny that you was the attacker when you're running around covered in day-glo green or pink dye.

·
Super Moderator
37,646 Posts
As bad as that is, it ain't got UV dye in it that makes him glow purple under black light.;)

Personally, I'd like it if the dye was visible under normal lighting. Be kinda hard to deny that you was the attacker when you're running around covered in day-glo green or pink dye.
Yep..are the exploding dye packs in the bank's money only visible under a black light? (asking for a friend :oops: )

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
Yep..are the exploding dye packs in the bank's money only visible under a black light? (asking for a friend :oops: )
The dye packs in the bank are placed in stacks of new cash it can be just about any denomination. My friend said if it does not bend it does not spend. It is normally red and IS VERY VISSABLE! So my friend says!

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
I used to carry pepper spray. I've decided, though, that I'd rather kill the idiot. Dead perps don't hire lawyers to sue.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
I used to carry pepper spray. I've decided, though, that I'd rather kill the idiot. Dead perps don't hire lawyers to sue.
Your kidding right! Family members of all these thugs shot while committing a felony has sued the crap out of anything that was even near their lifetime criminals assassination and if your an old white dude your life is over no matter what the evidence against the guy you have.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Personally, I'm not a fan of pepper spray. Not that I doubt that it's effective, but I think it's more likely that an attacker would persist at the sight of pepper spray than they would at the sight of a handgun, simply because the risk is lower. The sight of a gun will always have a more persuasive psychological effect than a spray can will, and chances are good that if a gun is drawn, then it won't need to be discharged anyway.

Most criminals are looking for an easy target who won't fight back at all, but on the off chance that one were to encounter someone desperate, deranged, or extremely determined, I think it's better to have a potentially lethal weapon than one which is strictly non-lethal.

Granted, some folks are absolutely terrified of guns and outright refuse to carry one, so for those folks, pepper spray is a decent alternative, although if I were dealing with a stubborn loved one who refused to carry a firearm, then I would sooner recommend a stun gun or TASER, simply because it's more likely to incapacitate an attacker who may attempt to charge his victim.
Furthermore, many criminals wear disguises which cover their faces in order to prevent them from being identified by a victim should they be arrested or have composite sketches made in their likeness. Even minimalist disguises tend to include a pair of sunglasses or something else which obscures their eyes, which could reduce the effectiveness of pepper spray, especially those in gel form which are often favored over conventional aerosol sprays sice they aren't as easily redirected by wind and have longer effective ranges.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
People are under the impression that you have to hit the eyes of someone on the receiving end of pepper spray, gel what ever your choice to be effective! Horse Hockey! A direct hit to the chest will get to your lungs and face.

The police use pepper ball guns and aim for center mass the puff of pepper powder then travels to the nose eyes and lungs. And is very effective.

For those who have not been on the receiving end of a good quality pepper product I recommend you try it as in this day many assaults are with pepper spray. If hit you can't breathe or see, you salivate like a rabid dog. Your hands go to your eyes. Your lucky to find your butt let a lone draw your gun.

I recommend taking a hit to the face then draw and fire at a moving target such as a LEO B-27 target just moving on a clothesline right to left.

As my father was LEO and the director of the police academy for 6 years. I got to experience both pepper and a Taser for us regular folks your screwed. At the shooting range I was unable to hit the target after being sprayed with pepper spray. Just for clarification I did not get shot with the Taser as I was a civilian and only had it pressed to my back.

And the Taser dropped me like a rock.
Even my daughter and wife's personal Taser will mess with your day. The only difference that I noticed as with most personal Tasers you have to keep contact where the better ones that are available here and for the LEO use have the barbs.

Even those are sketchy as you need both barbs to penetrate the skin and if they are geeked up on drugs good luck.

I hope I have enlightened some here that has not had these products used on the them before. I'm sure most are going to still grab your gun. And hope they put their hands up and scream don't shoot. Only to have the 90 year old lady have a heart attack next to you. Remember you own that bullet the minute you draw your weapon.

If you can find a shoot don't shoot training course I recommend it. I watched a class of 30 cadets go through it and I don't belive even 10 passed. Also for clarification this was 25 years ago and I'm now 62.

Update I'm not opposed to a gun. I have more than I could use. And I'm not afraid to draw if the occasion occurs. I'm just saying right now they are destroying people's lives that legitimately have a strong case to use deadly force. Police have body cams and even with the bad guy walking at the cop shooting to kill as soon as the cop shoots or more than one shoots the sharks/Lawyers start counting bullets and it's never fair when you are a better shot then the bad guy. Read the news folks. Okay I'll step down now. Thanks for entertaining an old fart.

·
Registered
27,879 Posts
Please check the laws in your area.
I did find a minor error in the listing for Michigan, so take this as a guide, not authoritative.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts