1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I hope they go to the .40 cal. It is more powerful than the 9mm and should hold more capacity than the .45ACP.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Maybe they will get a real caliber this time instead of the quaint little European 9sillymeter. :p:D:D:evil::devil::icon_ poke::icon_ poke::icon_ rasta:

·
Super Moderator
37,002 Posts
Double stack 1911...or maybe a 10mm?

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Remarkable timing ................. just as Colt is about to tank again. The coincidence is remarkable! ;)

I foresee a poly bodied 1911 double stack in the military's future!

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I suppose it would be too much to hope for if I wanted to end up being a .45 cal Sig 2022, a sort of polymer framed 220 ?

Of course this just might be the 12th time I have heard they were shopping around since the adopted the Beretta.

·
22,836 Posts
This has been rumored recently. I bet it will be true very soon. Back to 1911 .45 if I had my way!

Reactions: AOCM.RET

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Don't know if those old geezers sitting on those committees are ready for polymer frames, seems to me a slight shift to more Sig 226's would save the country a whole lot of money if they must abandon the 92's.

As for the 1911's, how well do they hold up to sand?

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
It's also providential that, as Beretta publicly announces, then goes forward, with their plans to relocate from Maryland to Tennessee, due to ever more gun control efforts, we have "decided" to replace their core American product? Of course, the Administration wouldn't EVER stoop so low as to punish a company for exercising their own Freedom of Choice, now would they?

It wasn't the actual military who started the ball rolling that gave us the Beretta Model 92, nor was it the military who held hearings, and investigations on the testing methods, the requirements in the bid, or even the caliber. Instead, it was the bought and paid for Congressional representative of the various corporations, masquerading as Representatives of the people, who muddied that water.

The cost of the bid, the testing, and the final choice will be billions of dollars. Then, purchasing the new weapons, training both the end-users, and the support personnel, and the addition of actual guns, spares, and parts into the logistics supply, along with stocks of the ammunition if it's a new caliber, will also be in the billions. You also have to phase out the old guns, parts, and excess ammunition.

As for how the 1911 works in the sand, think back a couple of decades, and how did it work in Gulf War I, where many of the National Guard Unuits were still equipped with them, as were the Marines, and almost all of the SpecWar units. Or back to Iraq and Afghanistan in 2001 and immediately afterward in the hands of, again, marines, and SpecOps. The 1911 platform has been the default line when reliability, accuracy, and durability were overriding factors. Then again, with much less advanced lubricants, and much less trained people, we somehow managed to find the 1911 reliable, durable, and accurate in the sand in WWII. Or in mud, freezing weather, rain and snow in WWI.

To be quite frank, I cannot see how replacing the M9 is actually that important compared to replacing the obsolete technology of the M16 platform. MANY more people use a rifle in combat than a pistol. The M-16 series of rifles has NOT garnered a reputation of indestructibility like the AK series, nor has the 5.56 cartridge even come to be regarded as the equal in the field to the 7.62x39. This despite enough money in R&D to have fielded a completely new caliber AND weapons platform just on the research monies used in the 5.56.

Tempest in a tea-pot.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Remarkable timing ................. just as Colt is about to tank again. The coincidence is remarkable! ;)

But then it wouldn't be a 1911, would it? Poly body? Double Stack? Sounds like a PT145MilPro on steroids.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,002 Posts

Of course it will have to be a 10 round maximum magazine and pass all of the California testing...:mad:

·
Registered
36,663 Posts
This may be new but has popped up many times recently.
I am still in the camp IF it changes its still a 9 MM cartridge. Nato I don't think is going to change its basic cartridge and Europe has the most members plus the 45 has less capcity, more weight per cartridge and the pistol is the second or third weapon you depend on in war.
I bet they have enough extra Beretta parts to run them another 50 years.
Don't overlook the Beretta PX4 though as a contender!

·
Registered
14,798 Posts
How about a Springfield Armory XD with either the 4 inch barrel or 5, in .45 acp of course!

Reactions: JimmyA

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
LOL, just another contractor lobbying effort. Can't release a "solicitation", commonly called an RFP, without an approved Requirements Operational Capability (ROC) from the Joint Staff of which I have heard nothing about. Chicken before the egg thing. If there was an approved ROC, all of the manufacturers would be flooding the news with their new pistols prior to the release of the RFP.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts