Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hutchinson?s Amendment to Protect PA Firearms Owners During Emergencies Moves Forward : exploreVenango.com

HARRISBURG, Pa. (EYT) — After trying for over a decade to change laws concerning the rights of firearm owners in Pennsylvania to be protected during certain emergency situations, Pennsylvania Senator Scott Hutchinson has seen some progress.

Last week, Hutchinson’s efforts to ensure that responsible gun owners are protected against having their firearms confiscated during future emergency situations moved closer to enactment with the amending of Senate Bill 1019 by the Senate Veterans Affairs & Emergency Preparedness Committee.................................

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
I’m surprised that Pa didn’t already have something like this in effect being a gun friendly state and all.

But, it’s a good start!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
All States should have this. Katrina should have been a wake-up call to everyone.

·
Super Moderator
21,897 Posts
TN put one into law right after Katrina! I don't think it took a month.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Georgia has had it a while. It’s also illegal to do gun registries and the state Weapons laws preempt local laws; all bladed Weapons are legal. No waiting periods for purchases. It’s illegal for any city or town to become a sanctuary city. The GWCL is based on “if you’re legal to carry a gun” principal. No classes or qualifications. We just passed the largest tax cut in state history, etc . . . . .

Sigh . . . . life is good.

·
Registered
19,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m surprised that Pa didn’t already have something like this in effect being a gun friendly state and all.

But, it’s a good start!
:smile:...definitely a good start...:unsure:...but I'd wouldn't give PA too much credit. Gun tolerant, maybe but I think friendly is stretching it a bit. Some counties' sheriffs are gun friendly but the state as a whole, really not so much. This guy is a local and was my former state rep before he ran for senator so he comes from one of the more gun friendly counties. I'm actually surprised it's made it this far and frankly, will be quite amazed if it actually passes. Keepin' my fingers crossed.

Reactions: cdkjudoka

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
:smile:...definitely a good start...:unsure:...but I'd wouldn't give PA too much credit. Gun tolerant, maybe but I think friendly is stretching it a bit. Some counties' sheriffs are gun friendly but the state as a whole, really not so much. This guy is a local and was my former state rep before he ran for senator so he comes from one of the more gun friendly counties. I'm actually surprised it's made it this far and frankly, will be quite amazed if it actually passes. Keepin' my fingers crossed.
They've been getting friendlier. Just last year they made it legal to hunt with semi-automatic rifles. As of now, it's only rimfire and only during small game season but it's a start. I think they're testing the waters a bit but things are looking up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Being from SE PA for my entire civilian life I can say that PA is not particularly harsh or easy on gun related laws. One thing that separates it from many states is that there is no training requirement to get a LTCF. candidly, I am not sure that it is such a good thing, although reports of concealed carriers handling guns improperly are practically not existent.

The reality of enforcement of many of the archaic sections of PA gun laws is that they are not enforced. They ought to be changed, but the PA pols are well entrenched in their jobs and they rarely do more than muck up the works.

·
Registered
17,401 Posts
OK................can someone please tell me exactly who was
going to go house to house during an emergency situation
and gather up all the firearms?
That is something that would be worth watching.
Oh no...............we have a state wide emergency!!!
Forget about that. Let's go collect everyone's firearms.
That is way beyond ignorant.
I bet a politician thought it up.............:D

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
OK................can someone please tell me exactly who was
going to go house to house during an emergency situation
and gather up all the firearms?
That is something that would be worth watching.
Oh no...............we have a state wide emergency!!!
Forget about that. Let's go collect everyone's firearms.
That is way beyond ignorant.
I bet a politician thought it up.............:D
You DID see the videos of cops in New Orleans doing just that when Katrina hit . . didn’t ya?

·
Registered
32,257 Posts

But, it’s a good start!
I'm just happy to see that they haven't forgotten about it since Hurricane Katrina when confiscations of guns by the Nat. Guard were rampant. Taking guns away from business owners and grand mothers to prevent looting is wrong. When government starts taking away the ability to protect life and property, it is time to change the government.

I spent time in NW P/A as a young man. Gun Clubs out the ying yang! Get togethers between gun clubs, special competitions of all kinds including archery, knife and hatchet throwing, and the food was great. Then I crossed the state line to the North, and expected everything to turn to black and white, no color and the most archaic gun laws in the world.

Maybe PA just didn't feel threatened by Hurricanes, and maybe now, some places are more afraid of riots, I know I would be in some PA cities, particularly if their team wins a National Title!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Wow, I grew up in PA, yet I was completely unaware of such a thing, glad to hear that it's being amended.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is starting to gain traction ever since Wolf declared a State of Emergency due to the opioid crisis. In one EO, he pretty much banned all open carry for people without a LTCF or a hunting license. And IIRC, the order is still standing. I haven't heard of any confiscations here in PA, and sales and transfers are still going strong, but it is a good start. Too bad Philly and Pittsburgh, due to their large population density, dictates what passes and whatnot, much like NYC and LI dictate what happens all over NY state.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Prior to the NC Justice Reinvestment Act of 2011 we were forbidden to take a firearm or ammunition outside of ones home during a declared state of emergency. Since the passage of this act NC Gun Laws have loosened considerably but our democraps are trying to undermine the progress.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Prior to the NC Justice Reinvestment Act of 2011 we were forbidden to take a firearm or ammunition outside of ones home during a declared state of emergency. Since the passage of this act NC Gun Laws have loosened considerably but our democraps are trying to undermine the progress.
Aren't they always? :(

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Dumb law and should be overturned. I for one was unaware of this law. Like Rickenbacher39 mentioned I do not envision the national guard or even local LEO'S going home to home collecting guns. It would take thousands of them to get it done since there are so many gun owners in Pa. Now for Philly that may be a different story. I even see that as being near imposable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts