Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I think that is a good deal from what I have seen. I do know there are cheaper ones out there, but not with all the same features. I will have to look in my local HD and see if they have them at that price or if that is just a online price.

·
Registered
12,089 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
i noticed this in the item description ... " Please note this is not a noise cancelling hearing protector. "

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Got my electronic muffs from wally world for $25 and they work like a gem. Cant remember the brand.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I paid over $200 for mine and the cat chewed the soft leather cushions off.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
These are only 22db. GUARANTEED hearing loss if you shoot wearing them.

A pistol is 155-160db. (magnums and ported higher) these take it down to 133-137db. High enough your ears will ring, high enough for permanent loss after one outing.

Anyone buying them needs to plug in ear as well.

From the guy with ringing ears that repeats "huh?" All the time.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Same rating as my Howard Leighs R-01526 NR-22 which have been quite adequate on my outdoor range. In any case, ordered a pair for myself for pick up at my local Home Depot today.

Thanks for the heads up. Good buy, great brand and about $30 cheaper than Amazon Prime.

My HD showed 17 in stock.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Well, that was quick - just received message ready for pick up.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked up a couple of pairs yesterday. Of course I haven't shot with them yet, but they're comfortable and as a bonus, they have an input jack (with cord supplied) to play music from your phone or I pad/pod

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
For sure they are comfortable. More so than the Leighs.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I picked up a couple of pairs yesterday. Of course I haven't shot with them yet, but they're comfortable and as a bonus, they have an input jack (with cord supplied) to play music from your phone or I pad/pod
Cool on the input!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

A pistol is 155-160db. (magnums and ported higher) these take it down to 133-137db. High enough your ears will ring, high enough for permanent loss after one outing.

Sitting here listening to only the ringing in my ears.... Never mind, the wife found me..... Lol

Reactions: AOCM.RET

·
Registered
832 Posts

Adding ear plugs, while reducing the db, it really is minimal.

From the Cooper Safety Supply website -

"When hearing protectors are worn in combination (i.e. earplugs AND earmuffs), rather than adding the two NRR numbers together, you simply add five more decibels of protection to the device with the higher NRR. For example, using 3M™ E-A-R™ Classic Earplugs (NRR 29) with 3M™ Peltor™ H7 Deluxe Earmuffs (NRR 27) would provide a Noise Reduction Rating of approximately 34 decibels."

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

"When hearing protectors are worn in combination (i.e. earplugs AND earmuffs), rather than adding the two NRR numbers together, you simply add five more decibels of protection to the device with the higher NRR. For example, using 3M™ E-A-R™ Classic Earplugs (NRR 29) with 3M™ Peltor™ H7 Deluxe Earmuffs (NRR 27) would provide a Noise Reduction Rating of approximately 34 decibels."
Still worth it! Every bit helps IMO... Thanks for that info though! I knew it wouldn't be the sum of the two ratings, but I figured it would be more than that.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Still worth it! Every bit helps IMO... Thanks for that info though! I knew it wouldn't be the sum of the two ratings, but I figured it would be more than that.
Oh I agree, it is worth it and I too thought it would have been more than just a 5 db increase!

After 34 years of turbine engines running 6 feet behind me I can honestly say, huh?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Oh I agree, it is worth it and I too thought it would have been more than just a 5 db increase!

After 34 years of turbine engines running 6 feet behind me I can honestly say, huh?
I have similar noise levels that I've dealt with... I was the drummer in a heavy metal band!!! :eek:

Reactions: NCSmokey

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Don't trivialize the increase as a "bit", the decibel scale is logarithmic so the steps between numbers are not equivalent (not a linear relationship).

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

True, but as the BEST CASE for the muffs is 22db, so the plugs become the primary hearing protection. The muffs just make it easier to hear range commands.

Using surefire plugs in conjunction would be good

EarPro EP3 Sonic Defenders® Earplugs from SureFire

As shooters, we gather ear damage much faster than normal schlubs, so we need to protect them better than the guy that might fire a hundred rounds in his life, rather than that much daily! Always get at least 30db protection, with higher nrr the better. If anyone wants to learn what loss sounds like, strap tuning forks to your head and ring them. Every day, all day, all night. Wear your "eyes and ears"!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts