Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, don't laugh. :D I know it's funny that i'm asking about a pellet gun, but I have a good reason. So, there are a group of squirrells that terrorize and destroy my wifes bird feeder in the back yard. I live outside of city limits, so I can legally shoot them with a .22 or what ever, but I want to be a good neighbor and get something quiet and considerate to do the job. I have houses fairly close around me, but they are not on top of me. (We all have 1 acre lots or bigger) So, I figure a pellet gun will do the trick. I can do tree-rat control, eliminate the possibility of collateral damage, and not piss the neighbors off at the same time. There are a ton of pellet guns on the market, by which I was overwelmed when I started looking. I borrowed a buddies and have been using it, and it's done a fair job. It's a beeman, but it's more expensive than I care to consider. I hear Gamo makes a fine pellet rifle, and was looking at the CFX .177 fixed barrell model. It's around 200 bucks, and launches the appropriate ammo at over 1000 FPS.

SO, inbetween the expected jokes, toss me some personnal reviews on an efficient pellet rifle that is at an affordable price.

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
I'd go with a Gamo they have taken the market by storm and are of great quality. And by no means is your question out of line a pellet gun is vary useful to have around.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
The Benjamin 392....22 caliber has great knock down and can be had for $130 or less. They are a pump up instead of a single break barrel, but they will put em down. Whatever you do, a .22 caliber is better, and will be subsonic.

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
Jake is the squirrel master so I would follow him and he is right about the .22 cal. being better then the .177

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I tried to use the same logic on my wife about the poop from all the mourning doves that empty our bird feeders. She didn't buy it and neither would the game wardens I'm sure, but I bought the Daisy pump-up anyway. Darn near as fast as a .22 short. Gamo is also a great gun, but out of my price range for a toy.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
The average .177 pellet is only half the weight of a .22 pellet, as well as having a 1/4 less diameter. We average 55 squirrels a year in our back yard and live in the middle of the city. We have a cheaper model Gammo as well as the Benjamin, and we just get better stopping power from the .22 which is important to me that we bag the squirrels right there rather than them dying later in a neighbors back yard or them limping around making the neighbors think we are horrible for shooting them. I've had open season on them over 10 years in my yard without any problems from neighbors. Not trying to get into caliber wars here, and If you spend enough money on a .177 and get clean head shots all the time, they work fine. Sometimes they have their head hidden and I elect for a body shot.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread but as an interesting aside I once read an article that 'upsized' a .22 pellet from the squirrel/pellet ratio to human/pellet ratio. The pellet became HUGE!

It was about 2" in diameter. Ouch.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Another point of Pellet guns, is for a shtf meat getter. I could easily take enough Doves in my back yard in the trees with one to provide plenty of meat, I usually keep a couple of thousand pellets in reserve. And of course, squirrel stew is pretty good vittles also, shtf or not.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
We've had many pellet gun threads here in the recent past. Jake is the expert squirrel getter with his Benjamin around here, hands down.  8)

Gamo makes a good break barrel for the money, but they get better with a different trigger. I've replaced the one on my Gamo and improved its shootability considerably. http://www.charliedatuna.com/

If I had to choose another Gamo, I'd pick the CFX underlever too. However, springer pellet guns are a bit harder to shoot accurately than pnuematic pumps, CO2, or the pre-charged pnuematic types. That is because all of the "shaking and baking" going on when you release that heavy spring and piston with the trigger. Shootin' a springer as accurately as a non-springer requires practice and a consistent hold.

A non-break barrel airgun is easier to shoot accurately from any position, holding the gun in different ways. Doing these things in a springer will affect the point of aim. It can frustrating for someone not accustomed to it.

I've got both .177 and .22 shooters. If you have the opportunity to compare a .177 vs. a .22 that shoot nearly the same velocities, the .22 is much, much harder hitting. I don't have what Jake has, but a .22 pump pellet gun would be the ultimate easy shootin', always ready, squirrel skull crushin' machine.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
chicharrones said:
We've had many pellet gun threads here in the recent past. Jake is the expert squirrel getter with his Benjamin around here, hands down. 8)

Gamo makes a good break barrel for the money, but they get better with a different trigger. I've replaced the one on my Gamo and improved its shootability considerably. http://www.charliedatuna.com/

If I had to choose another Gamo, I'd pick the CFX underlever too. However, springer pellet guns are a bit harder to shoot accurately than pnuematic pumps, CO2, or the pre-charged pnuematic types. That is because all of the "shaking and baking" going on when you release that heavy spring and piston with the trigger. Shootin' a springer as accurately as a non-break barrel requires practice and a consistent hold.

A non-break barrel airgun is easier to shoot accurately from any position, holding the gun in different ways. Doing these things in a springer will affect the point of aim. It can frustrating for someone not accustomed to it.

I've got both .177 and .22 shooters. If you have the opportunity to compare a .177 vs. a .22 that shoot nearly the same velocities, the .22 is much, much harder hitting. I don't have what Jake has, but a .22 pump pellet gun would be the ultimate easy shootin', always ready, squirrel skull crushin' machine.
Great Synopsis Chico! :thumb:

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Airguns are the forgotten gun on most forums, and we had fun with the threads last summer, but they have some very practical uses and the least of which is not in the valuable training that kids recieve in learning gun safety, training and skill level. Some airguns are just a lot more than an advanced toy, and like cartridge fired guns, they are many and varied.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Tarpon4me,

The .117 cal. should work good for you, I know how you like those challenge shots to the head!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DoubleTap said:
Tarpon4me,

The .117 cal. should work good for you, I know how you like those challenge shots to the head!
LOL, I hear you cameron. Thanks for the thoughts guys. It will be november before I consider the purchase, but i'm going to get one. I'll probably put my own scope on the rifle, as I want a good quality outfit.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
.177 ammo is definitely more plentiful around here. Get a 800 fps - 1000 fps .177 rifle and you'll do fine, too. 8)

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
BTW, if you order from Sportsman's Guide, I think they offer $1.00 "no questions asked return insurance". Air rifle boxes sent through UPS tend to take a bad beating sometimes damaging the gun.

·
Super Moderator
34,959 Posts
I've got a walmart Crossman .177 that has plenty of zip, accurate, cheap. One criticism...trigger sux big ones. Wanna decent trigger, have to spend some bux, I guess. It's chinese built, of course. :rolleyes: It does what I need it to do, though, and I have fun with the grackles. :D

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Some of those triggers on springers are near 9 lbs advertised by the manufacturer! You know that's gotta be on the low side.

I've got a friend with a Turkish made Winchester 800 that has one of those "9 lb triggers". Feels like 15 to me. :eek:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I have a Beeman R-1 that is ridiculously accurate as well as powerful, it has a Beeman variable power air rifle scope on it. I use it to snipe at 9mm casings at 35 yards. A 9mm casing at 35 yards is equal to a man's torso at 1000 yards. The late great Peter Hathaway Capstick invented the sport back in 1984, he called it "Mini Sniping" Very enjoyable and challenging. I've been "Mini Sniping" since I got out of the Corps in 1983 just to keep in practice of reading wind, breathing / trigger control, and such. Here's a link for anyone interested.
http://www.minisniping.org/  Just click on "Articles" it gives the "Mini Sniping" story.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts