Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,850 Posts
Boy, you sure showed that washer where the bear sat in the buckwheat.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I just open the door if I want to see if the clothes are dry. ;)
Great shot from 10 yards with a short barrel too. My bad 2.5" shell 6" barrel. Good shot anyways.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Looks like it was fun...got any more pics of what happened to that washer, I'm sure you didn't just shoot it once!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't think they will let you back in the laundromat anytime soon. You let all the heat out of the dryer.

Reactions: shiftace and djw479

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had other pic's with other rounds used through the gun, however, they have been deleted :(. All I have left is a pic of my gun. Judge.jpg I was most impressed with the federal 000 Buckshot at 10 yards. It made a MASSIVE hole at approximately 2.5 - 3 inches and its widest spot.

Some people criticize the Judge saying, ''It does a lot of things well, however, it doesn't do anything great". I have not found that to be the case. I can shoot 45's and .410 slugs a like at 30 yards with open sights and constantly see 5 inch groups. The new buck shot loads by Federal and Winchester make this gun an elite home defense gun as well, as you only have to point and shoot. No over penetration with maximum devastation. Specifically, the federal load is throwing 4 balls comparable to the size of a 9 MM per shot. I can empty my cylinder in roughly 1.5 seconds, giving us a grand total of 20 shots on target in 1.5 seconds! I have even found bird shot to be very effective with snakes and even a squirrel or two. I just do not think that you can buy a more versatile handgun for the money!

The best part about all of this is, with the severe ammo shortage today, I can still always find all of the .410 shot shells I can handle! (Knock on wood)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Interesting! Your 10-yard PDX1's shot pattern is much tighter than I've been lead to believe. I only shot a few PDX1s out of my Judge and we didn't have a large target that would show the entire pattern. Based on some foilage movement around the target 25' away, I thought the BBs were spreading out alot.

Diameter-wise, how does the PDX1's discs/BBs pattern verse the the Fed Handgun's buckshot at whatever the longest distance is you shot both?

Asking because some folks using larger targets have stated the PDX1's BBs spread wide very quickly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The difference is the long barrel. In my PD the BBs will fill the room at 10 yds. The Fed HG 000 is much tighter in a short barrel.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Now, I am eagerly awaiting the results of the dishwasher test.

Reactions: gyro_cfi

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting! Your 10-yard PDX1's shot pattern is much tighter than I've been lead to believe.
As HankPage said, the pattern is very different in a Public Defender. From a 2" barrel Public Defender, PDX1 will spread to a 12" diameter cloud of BBs at 7 yards. I didn't specifically try 10 yards, but I'd guess that it'd probably be on the order of 18" in diameter at that range.

The longer barrel may or may not contribute to the tighter pattern, though. It depends. It seems logical that it would, but not necessarily, because the barrel is rifled. At 410handguns.com, you can see patterning tests (click on the icon of the Judge on the left). You can see there that for birdshot loads, the longer barrels spray the pellets all over the place in much wider groups, and you get tighter groups from the shorter barrels. The longer barrels, and the rifling in the barrels, cause the whole birdshot load to spin, and the pellets spread out faster because of it.

But in the Federal Buckshot load, which is the best load for the Judge IMO, it actually gets even a little tighter from the longer barrel. On the 2" PD, they list a 2" group at 10 feet, but from the 6" barrel they report a 1.5" group.

They have a page set up for PDX1 separate, and on it, they appear to be saying that yes, the BBs spread further from the longer barrel. However, the defensive discs always stay very tightly grouped.

Diameter-wise, how does the PDX1's discs/BBs pattern verse the the Fed Handgun's buckshot at whatever the longest distance is you shot both?
In my experience, the Federal buckshot is always way, way, way, way, way tighter than the BB spray from the PDX1. I've tried 2.5" PDX1, 2.5" Fed 000, 3" PDX1, 3" Fed 000, from an RJM and a Public Defender, and the Fed 000 always groups very tightly and hits like you'd want a shotgun to hit -- a big slam of force all in a tight group with multiple wound channels. The PDX1 defensive discs hit pretty similarly, but the BBs are a quickly-dissipating cloud that spreads very wide. You can almost keep the BBs on a man-sized target from 7 yards, but only if you aim and hit absolute dead center of mass. If you're off to the side at all, some of the BBs are going to miss the target completely.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I've never shot PDX1 in a .410 but I really like it in other rounds! This kind of makes me want something that shoots .410! :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
What else have you tried it in? For most rounds it's a normal but very effective hollowpoint, but the 410 is just a really unique load. Have you seen the 12-gauge? Looks like they have two different loads -- one was a slug followed up by three buck balls (sort of similar to the 410) and the other load is a segmented slug that hits as one projectile and then breaks into three pieces to make individual wound tracks.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
What else have you tried it in? For most rounds it's a normal but very effective hollowpoint, but the 410 is just a really unique load. Have you seen the 12-gauge? Looks like they have two different loads -- one was a slug followed up by three buck balls (sort of similar to the 410) and the other load is a segmented slug that hits as one projectile and then breaks into three pieces to make individual wound tracks.
I like it in 12ga. It has a one ounce rifled slug and three steel 00 Buck pellets. That should stop an intruder late at night! :D

You are right, you can get it with a solid slug or one which is designed to split into three pieces upon impact.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/...ve/PDX1-Defender-Shotshell/Pages/default.aspx

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wish you wouldn't have shown that.I wanted to see what it would do out of the PD and now my wife is furious.Probably should have stopped with the refrigerator and the micro wave,but it was so much fun I couldn't help myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts