Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
____Public Defender Ultra-Lite _____

The cylinder release seems to be getting increasingly harder to push to release the cylinder.

And sometimes.., not always.., but probably 40% of the time, after I close the cylinder the action locks up because the cylinder release button has not fully returned back to the locked position.

When the cylinder is open, both the release button and the cylinder center pin move and rebound smoothly & fully.

Any of you guys have a clue on what the issue might be?? I'm stumped on this one!!

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I had a similar problem with a 605.

The center pin goes through the extractor. When the cylinder is closed, the pin pushes the bolt back out of the way, which allows the hammer to cock.

In my case, what I found was the center pin was jamming in the barrel of the extractor. After ensuring the center pin was not bent, I checked the inside of the extractor and found a rough place (corrosion? although I keep guns cleaned and lubed, I don't commonly disassemble the cylinder/extractor rod for cleaning) on one side, just forward of the ledge that keeps the center pin from coming out the rear of the extractor.

It took a bit of careful sanding and polishing to clear up the rough part, but it took care of the problem.

·
21,959 Posts
An extractor rod that's backing out can cause those sorts of symptoms. Have you checked to make sure the rod is screwed in tight?

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a similar problem with a 605.

The center pin goes through the extractor. When the cylinder is closed, the pin pushes the bolt back out of the way, which allows the hammer to cock.

In my case, what I found was the center pin was jamming in the barrel of the extractor. After ensuring the center pin was not bent, I checked the inside of the extractor and found a rough place (corrosion? although I keep guns cleaned and lubed, I don't commonly disassemble the cylinder/extractor rod for cleaning) on one side, just forward of the ledge that keeps the center pin from coming out the rear of the extractor.

It took a bit of careful sanding and polishing to clear up the rough part, but it took care of the problem.
The center in moves and rebounds smoothly and freely.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Could the crane be sprung?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts