Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago my 8 yo HP Windows Vista failed. Two reformattings later, downloaded hundreds of Mbs of updates to bring it to current, and it seems to be doing ok. It's now very apparent to me that even though the hardware still functions ok, the OS and software become obsolete. Even some of the preloads aren't supported.

Anyway, I'm back on-line and I'm not ready to get rid of my old friend that I'm very comfortable with..... yet.

Reactions: rhuber

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
A few days ago my 8 yo HP Windows Vista failed. Two reformattings later, downloaded hundreds of Mbs of updates to bring it to current, and it seems to be doing ok. It's now very apparent to me that even though the hardware still functions ok, the OS and software become obsolete. Even some of the preloads aren't supported.

Anyway, I'm back on-line and I'm not ready to get rid of my old friend that I'm very comfortable with..... yet.
Mine crashed too, but my problem was that the onboard video went south. It was a software problem but also the video died leaving me with no video to see what was on the monitor. I installed a new 2 gig video card and upgraded my RAM to 8 gig. Then I had to do a factory refresh back to Win8 and do over 300 upgrade files. After that I upgraded to 8.1, reinstalled everything I lost and ran virus scans for several hours.

All in all, I worked on this clunk for 3 days solid before it was done. Could have been a virus. Don't know for sure. I did find suspicious files and deleted them and now I am up and running again. The first 3 days of my 7 days off work went to fixing this computer.

I treated myself to Bavarian Creme filled Bismarcks and a quart of Ben and Jerry's Moose Balls, or whatever it is called. My sugar went thru the roof but I caught it on the way down.:D

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I going to repartition my win7 hdd to make room for Zorin 9 Linux, then I will restore my backups (from Zorin 8 made a month before I moved out here).

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I bought an OEM version of Windows 7 from Amazon and have installed it on two older Dell laptops and it works great.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
I liked 7 better than 8 and 8.1, but not as much as I liked XP. I still pine for that one. Had it on a laptop and also one of my desktops.

·
Registered
14,794 Posts
wait til windows 10 comes out. I've been a tester on it and it's the windows 8 desktop with the start menu of Windows 7.

Reactions: Northwoods_Shooter

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When will that be?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Still running XP on my homebuilt.
I actually bought Vista and installed many years ago, used it for about year and went back to XP Pro x86 (32bit).
Then I upgraded the computer again with a new motherboard and 64bit CPU.
Installed XP Pro x64 and except for one major crash and reinstall, it has been running fine.
CPU-Z.jpg
3.0GHz CPU Overclocked to 3.6GHz.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Have four XP machines; two Win 7. Have skipped 8 same as ME & Vista morfs. Have a couple of Win 8 Pro new disk if anyone interested. Hope 10 is an improvement. Have worked on 8/8.1 machines and have learned to hate them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I going to repartition my win7 hdd to make room for Zorin 9 Linux, then I will restore my backups (from Zorin 8 made a month before I moved out here).
Running 64-bit Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" on one of my computers. I've a 2nd HDD in there with a Tech Preview of Win10 Pro. Just switch data cables between the two HDDs and fire 'er up!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Have four XP machines; two Win 7. Have skipped 8 same as ME & Vista morfs. Have a couple of Win 8 Pro new disk if anyone interested. Hope 10 is an improvement. Have worked on 8/8.1 machines and have learned to hate them.
Win 10 is definitely an improvement over 8/8.1. It's what they SHOULD have been all along. I have a eval of 10Pro on one of my drives, and have decided I like it. I can "find" things in 10 that were too well hidden on 8. No 8's in my house; couple 7's, Linux and the 10 eval.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Still running XP on my homebuilt.
I actually bought Vista and installed many years ago, used it for about year and went back to XP Pro x86 (32bit).
Then I upgraded the computer again with a new motherboard and 64bit CPU.
Installed XP Pro x64 and except for one major crash and reinstall, it has been running fine.
View attachment 112564
3.0GHz CPU Overclocked to 3.6GHz.
The overclocking "might" explain the crash. That CPU must get pretty warm!!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I thought this was an English speaking forum, I didn't understand a word.....

Apart from Nedstocktons post that is.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts