Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pawns shops you love it when you get to buy from them but then when you have to either sell or pawn well that's a different stuation. Just got back from having to pawn a gun. Just makes me sick knowing I had to. Car broke down on Sunday in a different city. Poor SW9VE has not been out of my reach since I got her ( meaning out of my home or hand ) . But on ther up note at least I did not have to pawn my Taurus 617 seeing how this is my EDC. Hopefully she won't be gone long.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Yeah, I must admit that I mourn a little over every firearm that I have let go. I always say, "not going to trade or sell this one", but sometimes it happens anyway. I think any owner who really enjoys firearms knows exactly how you feel....

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Been there and done that. I used to live with a roommate who didn't understand that rent came first. The first time I had to pawn a gun to cover the rent, he got the boot. At least it was a common gun and not your grand dad's old 1911.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been there and done that. I used to live with a roommate who didn't understand that rent came first. The first time I had to pawn a gun to cover the rent, he got the boot. At least it was a common gun and not your grand dad's old 1911.
Also as I stated at least it is not my EDC.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My sympathies, guy. Been there, done that. Rent money, yah.

·
Registered
31,893 Posts
A pawn shop will give as much as a gun shop, but you do have the option of pawning it and getting it back out. Gun shops don't have that option.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Some more thought:

I had a guy tell me to never pawn it for more than you really need, that way it's easier for you to get back...

Then I thought, what if I pawn my Sig P226 for $200 and then get in a pinch...? Now I just sold my Sig for $200???

So now I don't know what to think of trying to get the most you can or trying to only get the most minimal amount you can save your butt in the now with.

Either way, having to pawn a gun sux.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
We need to form a club to help out our members.

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
Pawns shops you love it when you get to buy from them but then when you have to either sell or pawn well that's a different stuation. Just got back from having to pawn a gun. Just makes me sick knowing I had to. Car broke down on Sunday in a different city. Poor SW9VE has not been out of my reach since I got her ( meaning out of my home or hand ) . But on ther up note at least I did not have to pawn my Taurus 617 seeing how this is my EDC. Hopefully she won't be gone long.
But it's better than being broke down in Ethiopia in August with no pawn shops, food, water, lights, not a single luxury....

No wait...that's Gilligan's Island...you get the message.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Some more thought:

I had a guy tell me to never pawn it for more than you really need, that way it's easier for you to get back...

Then I thought, what if I pawn my Sig P226 for $200 and then get in a pinch...? Now I just sold my Sig for $200???

So now I don't know what to think of trying to get the most you can or trying to only get the most minimal amount you can save your butt in the now with.

Either way, having to pawn a gun sux.
You shouldn't have to come up with all the money at once to get it out of pawn... You should be able to just pay the monthly finance charge and it would stay in pawn until the full amount was paid

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You shouldn't have to come up with all the money at once to get it out of pawn... You should be able to just pay the monthly finance charge and it would stay in pawn until the full amount was paid
Got $150 for the pawn and what I don't use to get the car fixed I will pay back on the pawn so it will knock it down for when I can get it out. Total $180 to get her back out.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I used to pawn things if needed but not any more. My city passed an ordinance that was intended to keep riff raff from being able to pawn or sell stolen goods. While it seems to be helping a little bit all it's really done is make it a real PITA for the rest of us to sell stuff to them. In order to sell or pawn something in a pawnshop in my city you have to let them take your picture, provide a finger print, let them take pictures of whatever it is you're trying to sell/pawn and fill out about four different forms. After that they call somebody at the police department to have them run the information which takes about an hour for some reason. Once that is complete then they can start to think about doing business with you.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to pawn things if needed but not any more. My city passed an ordinance that was intended to keep riff raff from being able to pawn or sell stolen goods. While it seems to be helping a little bit all it's really done is make it a real PITA for the rest of us to sell stuff to them. In order to sell or pawn something in a pawnshop in my city you have to let them take your picture, provide a finger print, let them take pictures of whatever it is you're trying to sell/pawn and fill out about four different forms. After that they call somebody at the police department to have them run the information which takes about an hour for some reason. Once that is complete then they can start to think about doing business with you.
Don't have to worry about all that here. But I did place with it the original receipt showing I do own it ( also helped that I pawned it where I bought it ) .

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Dave Ramsay:

Baby Step #1 - $1,000.00 in the bank as an EMERGENCY fund.

Sorry about your situation. As a single car family my wife and I dreaded ever having some kind of breakdown in the transportation department. However, since establishing our emergency fund we haven't needed to worry about any car troubles. Even after dropping $300+ to fix 2 window regulators.

Dave says, and it's true for my family at least, once you get that emergency fund of $1,000.00 in the bank you suddenly have fewer emergencies. Not that stuff doesn't happen to us anymore, it's just that a hiccup in our plans IE car trouble doesn't cause us nearly as much financial stress as it used to.

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
773 Posts
My sisters boyfriend was in a pinch for rent money last week, he pawned 6 guns, a few m1 garands and a few others I dont remember what they were. I hope he is able to redeem them as he takes pride in his collection of antique arms. I know one of them was an 8mm rifle, but I dont know what make/model it was.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my girl back. thought it was going to cost $150 + $30 interest but it ended up with and extra $30. $210 total ... but she is home again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts