Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am near the bottom of my store bought patches...they are maybe 2 x 2". Then I got some in a cheap cleaning kit I bought at Cabelas...both the kit and the patches inside were junk...the patches are PAPER. Like dryer sheets.

I don't like to spend a lot on expendable products...I even buy Scott TP in the 1100 sheet roll (extra 100 sheets!) :D

Where do you guys get yours or what do you make them out of if you "roll your own". Old sheets are often poly/cotton. Not sure if old T shirts work.

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Last year I bought some patches @ Walmart and they're like your dryer sheet product, not 100% cotton. So I've been "on the hunt" as well but it hasn't been a big priority. About the only time I remember to shop for a better product is when I sit down to clean my guns. I'm interested in what others use.

On ebay I found 2 vendors that peaked my interest: one has a product named Refuelergy 2.25" 100% cotton squares (250 ea) and sells for $7.88 + free ship. The other is simply named Gun Cleaning Cloth Patches 2" (500 ea) 100% cotton and sells for $14.99 + free ship. The latter appears to be a Army/Navy surplus product which is generically packaged. Midway has a product named Pro-Shot that has a bunch of good reviews.

With the brunt of Winter on our doorstep it'll be time for serious gun cleaning. But I'm CHEAP. I don't want to spend $$$ on this hunt. I may just go down to the Salvation Army store and browse their underwear aisle and look for some lightly worn 100% cotton T shirts and cut my own squares. But as a mental picture comes to mind maybe I won't.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I buy unbleached muslin from any full service fabric store. I cut my own patches, sized by caliber. Kinda fun to do while in the recliner in the evening watching an older western movie or a B&W war story.
Unbleached muslin has no lint, just a thread raveling from time to time. A yard of it goes a long way.

·
Super Moderator
36,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I buy unbleached muslin from any full service fabric store. I cut my own patches, sized by caliber. Kinda fun to do while in the recliner in the evening watching an older western movie or a B&W war story.
Unbleached muslin has no lint, just a thread raveling from time to time. A yard of it goes a long way.
Amazon has it at 6.99 per yard at 60" wide, delivered, which brings it to .0032 per square inch. Times 4 square inches it's .013 per patch plus the benefit of being able to tailor (so to speak) your patch size to the gun.

I wonder if it would cut on a paper cutter?

·
Super Moderator
36,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again! I just ordered two yards from the seller on Amazon which should yield over 1,000 2x2 patches. I had sworn to avoid Amazon since they delayed getting an answer on my Veteran's Day Prime discount and I missed it. I was able to use my Discover cash back money so the muslin is arriving virtually free.

·
Registered
859 Posts
well, i despise that song so much i was almost going to suggest trying 200 grit wet/dry sandpaper as cleaning patches.....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Czechbikr...My wife says to use a rotary cutter.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
36,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Do this....go door to door in your neighborhood and say: "I'm on a scavenger hunt...". I'll bet you'll come up with one in no time. Most ladies who sew have them. Wives tend to hide a cutter from their husbands because we'll use it for who knows what! Then we'll have to face the music and hear this "Honey...look what I found in the garage on your workbench!" Suddenly the room temp gets extremely cold.

·
Super Moderator
36,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update...got my 2 yards of muslin about a week ago. It has a sizing on it that renders a very stiff finish. I decided to cut off a couple of feet and washed it to try and soften it up and make it more absorbant. I dried it a bit with the bed sheets I ran with it but held off putting softener sheets in when drying the muslin. It came out extremely wrinkled and I was able to stretch it out..somewhat. I hacked it up into squares of equal size and haven't run any down the barrels yet. For the little bit of savings, I will be shopping for the best price on the two inch pre-made patches next time I think.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Picked up a package of Allen 2" cotton patches (225 per pkg) for $3.94 at Walmart last night. They also had the Allen cleaning patches which are not cotton. I bought those awhile back and don't care for them. But the cotton ones are lint free and that's what I wanted. Score!

·
Super Moderator
36,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've not tried my ho-made washed muslin patches yet, but I am thinking that I am a ready to wear guy going forward...;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've been using (and like) these triangular cut patches

The notch cut prevents the patch from bulging at the fold and getting stuck when using a jag or loop

They come in three sizes

Really helps when cleaning my .17hmr to have the small ones

I even put them on the end of a bore brush (the brushes come in all the usual calibers)

note the end of the brush is smaller diameter to accommodate patch

0416191742_1577550736567.jpg 17_1577550990712.png 25_1577551020160.png 30_1577551147092.png

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've switch over to RemRodz and love them. They are size specific and have a tight fit. They also work great, hooked up to a drill for polishing the feed ramp and chamber.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts