Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

i have ordered a 30 cal check maker, anyone else have one and any comments or tips would be welcome.
cheers all

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have had both his .30 and .32 caliber checkmakers for several years now. I absolutely love them. They aren't as fast as the ones that punch and form all in one operation, but they produce high quality gas checks. I use the .014" thick aluminum roof flashing for check material. You can use copper but it's expensive and the main reason Hornady gets so much for their commercial ones.

You can get around 15 to 16 thousand .30 caliber gas checks out of $15 bucks worth of aluminum flashing when 1000 copper checks will cost you $30 .. Contrary to popular belief, aluminum gas checks don't appear to cause any more wear on the bore than copper ones do. You aren't pushing the lead bullets (gas check or not) that hard. Just my opinion, but Pat Green (his real name) makes some doggone good gas check making dies.

He's only a 1 man shop so you might have to wait a while after you order yours, but you will get it and it will work right or he will bend over backwards to make it so.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
How about a link of phone number?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought the one that punches and forms at the same time, but i was disappointed in the quality of the checks. They looked good, but close examination showed that they were not uniform. I sold it for a loss ($20) to someone whom thought he could improve it. I am still wanting to try pat's, but have a pretty good supply of Hornady and Lyman copper checks as well as Ideal brass checks. One thing Pat offers that caught my attention some time ago is his plain base check maker.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Jim and the rest of you.

My check maker has been despatched to me, so it wont be long now.
i found a source for the alu at .011 thick, here in england but it took some time to find it.
So i am really looking forward to getting it, should be here in about 2 weeks
Thanks for the info and i will keep you posted.
cheers chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts