Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at my local Walmart when I noticed that they were putting some ammo on the shelf. All he had in 9mm was TulAmmo. I didn't buy any. OK, did I make a mistake? :blink:

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Depends on the price.
No mistake if you don't reload, can't do Tulammo 9mm., it's Berdan primed.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't mind the stuff, shot quite a bit of it. My 9 will eat it up. I definitely like it being 10 a box around here, so if I saw some, I would have bought it. But don't dwell on things that are in the past :)

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
The prices for Tulammo is close to the reloadable stuff in price but if you don't reload and want to shoot this is the way to go!

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I'd have to think about it. My experience with Tul Ammo for pistols has been iffy at best. 9mm did ok, but had some light loads (caught a bullet in a plastic coke bottle once). The 40s I've used had some hard primers (probably rifle primers) in the mix and I think that is what cause my striker spring in my 24/7 to break.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,284 Posts
My 709 and PT99 will eat that stuff all day long, so if I'm not planning on picking up the brass I'll buy it.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
With the way the ammo situation is now, if the Wally Worlds around here got it in, AND it is still $9.97/50, I think I would buy a few just for extra ammo.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I won't shoot tula or wolf even if it's given to me.. When I first started shooting I ordered 1000rnds of it, at about 350 inconsistance rnds in, pulled the trigger and noticed that the 9mm gun sounded like a .22... I stopped shooting and field stripped the gun. The bullet was lodged about half way down the barrel and enough to allow the next round to chamber... I found the case on the ground and it was split open. After this I inspected the rest of the rounds I had on hand. Out of the balance of 650rnds, I found about 10rnds that had the mouths of the cases damaged/chipped.. I shot the rest that looked good but still had 2 more out of them that the cases still split and caused a squib that had to be driven out of the gun....

So no more tula for me, my buddies that where with me during my experience also voted to never shoot the steel case stuff again...

I'm just lucky I have all my fingers still after shooting that stuff...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
So you guys say buy it but leave the brass lay and we should be ok?

Ive never shot it and know next to nothing about reloading.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I have shot it in 9mm and .45acp with no problems. I had a squib out a box of Winchester .380, it happens and you had better be prepared regardless of the manufacturer of the ammo.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I won't shoot tula or wolf even if it's given to me.. When I first started shooting I ordered 1000rnds of it, at about 350 inconsistance rnds in, pulled the trigger and noticed that the 9mm gun sounded like a .22... I stopped shooting and field stripped the gun. The bullet was lodged about half way down the barrel and enough to allow the next round to chamber... I found the case on the ground and it was split open. After this I inspected the rest of the rounds I had on hand. Out of the balance of 650rnds, I found about 10rnds that had the mouths of the cases damaged/chipped.. I shot the rest that looked good but still had 2 more out of them that the cases still split and caused a squib that had to be driven out of the gun....

So no more tula for me, my buddies that where with me during my experience also voted to never shoot the steel case stuff again...

I'm just lucky I have all my fingers still after shooting that stuff...
Nope - squibs are not like the occasional FTF from cheap-o ammo. In a rapid fire situation the hand could still pull the trigger when the brain sends the STOP signal. The big nasty usually follows!!

i find their 7.62 AK rounds reliable but that's all the Tula I use.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I have a box of tulammo, that I picked up about 4 months ago, still haven't shot any of it,and probably wont until I'm out of everything else... I think you did alright passing it up

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Я думаю что вы насладитесь снять наш превосходный ammo в вашей дешевой американской пушке.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have put several hundred rounds of tulammo through my 1911 without issue, if its all you can find buy it. It is dirtier, but a good cleaning and you ready to go.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Я думаю что вы насладитесь снять наш превосходный ammo в вашей дешевой американской пушке.
Google Translate. (I just had to!)
I think you will enjoy our excellent remove ammo in your cheap American gun.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've fired 100's of rounds of it through my AR, 9 and wifes's 380 with no problems.

·
Registered
36,885 Posts
well I don't shoot it, never have, but mostly cause I reload!
But i find it hard to believe in todays society that as much tula as is sold that there could possibly that high of a drastic failure rate or it wouldn't be still available on the market.
perhaps i am wrong?
as for dirty , well as long as its not corrosive i don't really care about it being dirty, actually I know of no powder thats clean, its the nature of the beast!
I have a couple of stianless semi autoes, they have fiber optic front sights and i can shoot white box winchester and in about 15 rounds the front end is so dirty/smutty that the fine optic sight is totally useless as what it is.

·
Registered
36,885 Posts
Wally World price on 9mm & 40 s&w only went up a buck but they run out as soon as they get some.
Yep!
my regular range/gun shop has gone up about $1-$1.50 a box on the price of their ammo, I am sure that is a wholesale price increase.
I do see them stocking more PMC, Fiocchi, Aquila as its more available than winchester, federal, and Remington.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts