Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I passed my driving test today. I have one more week of school to go and hopefully will get a job soon after. I have applied with McElroy Trucking and it is looking promising. The best thing about them is they get you home every weekend. They operate mainly South East to South West.

I am looking forward to this new career.

Thanks again for all of those who have been praying for me and my family.

·
Super Moderator
35,529 Posts
Way to go....now a chorus of "On the road again" from all of us at TA.net !!

Keep us up to "speed" with the new adventure.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Drive safe!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Cool. You are in the middle, between the load and the delivery. Both ways!

Tarps & straps, chains & binders. There ARE easier ways of life, but that isn't too bad, if there is a fork-lift around to lift the tarp when loading.

Flash

·
Registered
31,696 Posts
Keep us informed how it goes.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Congrats and good luck in your near to start endeavors.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Congratulations!

One good thing operating down in the Southwest you won't face much in the way of bad winter road driving which can be a real tough haul especially when you have to make a run through the mountains. Having to chain-up and un-chain can make for a rough day.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Now you gotta come up with a CB "handle" while you're truckin.
Do they still use CB radios?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well I passed my driving test today. I have one more week of school to go and hopefully will get a job soon after. I have applied with McElroy Trucking and it is looking promising. The best thing about them is they get you home every weekend. They operate mainly South East to South West.

We pray for you for sure. I assume CDL A. You'll go with a trainer and then OTR. Hopefully you won't have to fudge your log book. If you do always buy fuel at the end of the day. Make sure you get all your truck stop fuel credits cause without them showers will eat your profit. Last time I did this they were $12 bucks. Don't be the guy getting a Navy shower in the Men's room. Sneak a five gallon bucket with extra garbage bags in your rig for when your jammed up on the interstate and need a nature call #2. One last thing, make sure you can pass all the homeland security stuff and if you go into ports you will need a TWIC pass.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Oh, that's great! Just flippin' great!
Now you're gonna be one of those guys sittin' up high in a comfy seat and blowin' your d-mned foghorn at me for drivin' too slow!

Seriously, congrats on what we all hope will be a rewarding career.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts

Thanks again for all of those who have been praying for me and my family.
Congratulations! Usually the schools help with placement, and truck driving is one profession where it's always easy to find a job. And after a couple years of driving, the opportunities really open up. But no matter how you do it, there's just something special about rolling down the road in something that weighs more than most houses. :D

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
That's great. Congratulations!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I wish you all the best in your new career.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congratulations, friend!

New vocations can be a blessing. I know, because from 1968 until 2004 I was in the dental laboratory industry. The last five years I was in the work force, I changed vocations and worked for the largest school district in the state as a safety/training supervisor for the Department of Transportation, teaching folks how to inspect and drive a school bus, and working accidents which involved school buses or other transportation department vehicles...and I can honestly tell you that it was the best job I've ever had!

My prayers and best wishes are with you in your new endeavor. :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Congrats on the new career. Remember to always be as alert as possible and allow plenty of stopping distance. Also be advised that cellphone usage is now a BIG non-no unless you have a hands-free system.

I got my Class A in 2005. Am also endorsed for tankers, doubles and triples. I recommend getting your Haz-Mat endorsement. It costs a bit but you open yourself up to more loads and opportunities to be rolling.

I was OTR for just a short time and then got into the LTL market which is where I wanted to be.

Drive safe, be safe, get home safe.

BK

·
10,379 Posts
Congrats and good luck bud. Keep it rubber side down.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Congrats and be safe!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Atta boy, BT. Keep it on the road.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts