Discussion Starter #1
Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten
turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put
all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their
heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their
money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the

yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you
like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....

DO YOU KNOW The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8
grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by
53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a
recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only
because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine
and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries
where margarine has been around for less
than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this
is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL
cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact...
HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27
ingredients with PAINT!

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything
else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing
the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or
shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of
things:
No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies
will go near it (that should tell you something)

It does not rot or smell differently because
it has no nutritional value; nothing
will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home
to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic .

Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Bad Hair Day.gif

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Very interesting facts..:puke:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Now I know what to do when I run out just grab a plastic bowel melt it and presto . I read that some where else anduse real butter , it does have a lot better taste . Thansfor info.

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
Anything that messes with breasts is bad IMHO

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Old news. This was reported about 30 years ago, but some may have missed the reports. You can take a tub of margarine and set it outside during the summer and nothing will eat it, not even the flies.

·
Registered
14,732 Posts
We have used real Butter for about 23 years in our house after a pathologist that I worked with at the time explained how bad artificial fats were and in particular why butter was better than margarine.

I figured he should know as he was doing a study on heart disease and would do slides of people's arteries that he removed during autopsy. He would try and interview the family about the person's eating habits as well as running diagnostics on the molecular makeup of the plaques that he found.

I assisted in processing the specimens.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I saw this or something similar and have stopped buying anything that isn't real butter. Saw an interesting thing on FB the other day about how to make your own butter. You take a glass jar, a couple of glass marbles (to speed the process), and fill it about half way with heavy whipping cream and shake for about 10 minutes.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
14,732 Posts
Sorry, but I don't trust the writers of snopes on this as they are not doctors and the position they take on margarine is just silly.

Simply saying that manufacturers have been taking out the bad stuff in margarine now that people are complaining is a little too late. It still is high in other bad fats including those fats that are made bad by the hydrogenation process.

I trust the pathologist and the slides I used to review where you could see microscopically the fat deposited in the veins and arteries. It was disgusting.

We autopsied an 89 year old veteran that had a farm and dairy cows. They made their own butter and drank raw milk. They also grew their own vegetables.

His arteries were cleaner than someone in their 40's that had heart disease and a history of a diet high in fat and margarine.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
We laughed at the "I can't believe it is not butter" commercial from several years back. As a kid I churned butter for both grandmothers. Drank raw milk and hated to milk cows especially in the winter. I am not a fan of the "man made" food products. Probably because of being raised country and enjoying country cooking.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
We were out of real Parmesan cheese so I used some of that Kraft Krap in the green can that the kid likes. It melted and stuck onto the spoon I was using. It was like little globs of plastic. It was hard to scrape off too. Threw the rest in the trash.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Anything man made kills

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Sorry, but I don't trust the writers of snopes on this as they are not doctors and the position they take on margarine is just silly.

Simply saying that manufacturers have been taking out the bad stuff in margarine now that people are complaining is a little too late. It still is high in other bad fats including those fats that are made bad by the hydrogenation process.

I trust the pathologist and the slides I used to review where you could see microscopically the fat deposited in the veins and arteries. It was disgusting.

We autopsied an 89 year old veteran that had a farm and dairy cows. They made their own butter and drank raw milk. They also grew their own vegetables.

His arteries were cleaner than someone in their 40's that had heart disease and a history of a diet high in fat and margarine.
Sorry, I don't trust anecdotal "evidence." ;)

Addressing the veracity of the claims in the OP, some of which are true and some of which are patently false (and since snopes is apparently the work of the Devil), Truth Or Fiction; Heart Foundation; Culinary Lore; Dr. Gourmet; Hoax-Slayer; Truth Miners; Answers.com; lots more on google.com, bing.com, and every other search engine on the intertubes.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
Ok, now I'm hungry.
Someone pass me the margarine so I can make a sandwich.

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
Hey that'll work too although I usually eat margarine right out of the container.
Not sure about bacon lard. Might have to fry it a bit first.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts