Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my oldest son turns 22 next Sunday. He has wanted his own handgun for sometime but can not afford what he wants. He has always loved this P95 from the day I purshased it over 10 years ago. We went today and bought him a small safe, a box of range rounds a box of SD rounds and I also threw in the Bianchi holster. We placed everything back into the safe inclusing original box and paperwork then placed the safe back into its box and tapee it back up.
He will be surprised when he opens the paper to find the safe and we tell him that every expecting father needs a safe to keep items locked up from their newborns. They are expecting in August. I think he will be shocked to open that safe and find that it is already filled to capacity.

Thoughts on this? Being my son he is already qualified to handle and carry as well as store a firearm. We will go do the paperwork next week to get the weapon into his name legally.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Excellent idea for a gift. I'm sure he is going treasure it and the idea of all the extras to get him started is great. Good job

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Fantastic gift and heirloom for your son! I will do the same with my son someday. And you are giving him a great pistol too with the P95!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fantastic gift and heirloom for your son! I will do the same with my son someday. And you are giving him a great pistol too with the P95!
You know aside from the fact the he always liked the P95, hell he was with me when we bought it. That gun has been through some stuff in the last 10 to 11 years. It has never let me down. It has never malfunctioned that I can easily remember and it is so simple to use. Rack the slide and the thing goes bang unless you're pulling on the decocker lever. I think he will be shocked/surprised that it is now his. He really wants a 1911 as he drools over mine everytime we take them out, but I think for his first handgun this is the best choice. Easy to shoot and maintain. And the thing will litterally shoot even coated and saturated with mud. Please dont ask how I know that, but I do know that.
I thought long and hard about one of the 1911's but again for a first handgun that will be his total responsibility I believe this is the way to go. That and I just couldn't part with any of the metal frames just yet. ;)

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The P95 is a good gun. As you said, it is extremely reliable, affordable, and he already knows it's manual-of-arms. I doubt that he will ever wear it out.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I think that is a great gift.

·
Registered
811 Posts
The P series Rugers are built like tanks. I have a P89 someplace around here.

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
I had a P95. It was a solid firearm and lighter than my other two metal P guns. I prefer my KP90DC, but there's nothing wrong with the P95. I traded mine in on my Taurus M85SSUL when I got my carry permit, easier to tote, so I don't really miss the P95, but it's a solid pistol and will serve him well.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
An excellent idea, and excellent story that will likely be passed on to the next generation also.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
It seems the P series gets overlooked by some and passed for consideration by others but mine has always been 100% reliable and accurate. It wasn't uncommon all that long ago either to get ones NIB for around $300 and sometimes a little less on gunbroker. My P95 gets a lot of love and if I can find a P97 for the right price I'll add one of those too.

·
32,612 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts