Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I love my PT145. It feels good in my hand, has great balance and when it functions correctly I can shot the center out of the bull at 15 yards no problem. The problem I'm having is out of 20 rounds there will be 1-5 rounds that only partially extract from the chamber. The next round being extracted from the magazine contacts the bottom of the partially extracted case jamming the pistol. To clear it, I have to lock the slide to the rear, drop the magazine, and dump the expended casing. I sent the pistol into Taurus and they sent it back with a slip saying they replaced some springs and did some adjustments. I took it to the range anticipating a good day of shooting and damned if it isn't doing the same thing!:mad:
Amybody run into this issue? More important, any suggestions on what could be wrong and how to fix it? I would like this gun to be my carry piece, but I need to trust it and right now I don't. BTW, I've put 200 rounds through this pistol. Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
40,580 Posts
Sounds like a magazine issue to me too. Does it do it with both mags?

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. :icon_ lala:

State of over "1 MILLION" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

Congratulations on your PT-145, love mine too.

You are describing a "double feed" one malfunction you don't want on the street.

It can be caused by a number of things; a dirty chamber, dirty ammo, oversided ammo, a faulty extractor, limb wristing or all of the above.

Clean and lube it, then have a couple of other experienced shooters fire it with good ammo. If the problem persists Taurus will replace the extractor.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
As others have said it could be a number of issues. I would first try to firm up the grip AND focus on having strong wrists. The PT145 is a very soft shooter and requires an extra firm grip to cycle properly. I would point to this especially if you are seing increased issues at the end of shooting sessions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome and all the input. Yup, it does it with both magazines. Never thought of the limp wrist issue. I'll have to focus on my grip. I have a buddy who's an experienced shooter and a gunsmith. I'll have him fire it and check the extractor. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another good possibility could be the type of ammo your using having slimmer lips or thicker. I know tho is off subject but my shotgun does the same thing with Remmington ammunition. I can only shoot Winchester or wolf ect.

SGT. Carter

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first instinct with a semi auto is always mags. But in your case I think you need to check your grip. Limp wristing sounds like a bad thing, but it actually just means you are absorbing recoil with your wrist instead of forearms. Short barrel pistols are notorious for failures to eject, frequently due to the case not hitting the ejector hard enough to be thrown clear. The next time you shoot focus on locking your wrists and absorbing the recoil in your forearms. With such a short recoil cycle your gun needs all the resistance you can give it. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I find this usually happens when I let someone else fire my gun. So watching closely, I noticed the other person would unknowingly make contact with the magazine clip button when gripping and firing the gun. When they do this, then I get a jam or partial extraction. After I clear the gun and fire it myself, I then instruct the other person to not touch the magazine clip button. The problem automatically goes away.

·
Banned
98 Posts
My first guess would be the extractor , I have a p-13 that was doing the same exact thing. I replaced magazines ,changed ejector and recoil spring. Its always the last thing that you replace that is the cause of the problem. It was the extractor . Gun is 100% reliable after replacing extractor.The extractor must get a firm hold on lip of round if it does not you will have a double feed or Fte.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts