Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has just bought a 45 1911 and the hammer is stuck in the pulled back position. For some reason It won't fire everything else works fine. Everything else seems fine but it won't fire can y'all please help me.

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
Welcome to the neighborhood; love your steakhouse!

can you post a pic of the gun in its current state?

·
Administrator
35,278 Posts
Will the slide rack? If so, you should be able to pop the mag out and clear the chamber, then take it down. You might consider doing that and seeing if there is something going on internally before you go too much further.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
There are a ton of 1911 disassembly videos on youtube (or used to be ;)). They really aren't that complicated. I'd recommend making sure it's empty first, then if it still can't function, to take the mainspring housing apart. That's where the issue probably is, unless the previous owner installed an after market hammer or some such and didn't fit it properly.

Maybe start here:

·
22,292 Posts
Welcome aboard!

So the hammer is stuck back. What happens when you press the trigger? Is there any movement at all, or is it just locked up solid? Either something has slipped out of place in the trigger/sear area, or the folks talking about the mainspring are correct. But a full disassembly should be possible, and should clear it up.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
36,296 Posts
My friend has just bought a 45 1911 and the hammer is stuck in the pulled back position. For some reason It won't fire everything else works fine. Everything else seems fine but it won't fire can y'all please help me.
MY suggestion, as it doesn't appear that you are familiar at all with the 1911 platform and possibly firearms in general is to take it to a gunsmith.
in addition to what the others have posted it could be any number of issues, as simple as the trigger travel screw is not correctly adjusted, the Grip safety is not properly adjusted or the triple leaf spring is out of place/broke, the thumb safety is in the safe position(although I would think you would notice this) all the way to a bad Hammer, disconnector, etc.
again we have no way of knowing your knowledge?
in the end what ever you find or not if you disassemble the 1911 then it should be safety tested before loading it, and again a good gunsmith can do that and introduce you to the world of 1911 and how they operate.
I would remind you that this is a dangerous weapon and not a toy so respect should be given to it or serious outcomes can happen.
hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I don't know anything about that,gunsmith here I come.:)

·
Registered
36,296 Posts
I don't know anything about that,gunsmith here I come.:)
Me Needer!
looks like a AMT Auto mag and a regular 1911 got put in a dark safe together and produced this!
Not at all familiar with it or its workings!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts