Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know which way to go. Really torn.

I want the simplicity of a .38 revolver but the extra capacity and fire power of a 9mm pistol.

Thru the help of a poster here, i have my sights on a M856 stainless 2" snubbie for $313.

I also have my eye on a 809C for $337.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
As a general rule I would prefer to entrust my life to a revolver. Learn to shoot it well and pick up a couple speed loaders, a reload doesnt take much longer than an auto and revolvers wont refuse to run with certain ammo.

·
Registered
14,084 Posts
Couple of good choices, and tough to pick between. Both should be easy to conceal, both have a life time warranty, both carry the Taurus name. The semi offers almost 3 times the ammo load capacity, it also allows for the pistol to have the magazine loaded but no round chambered ( a safey factor plus), offers a manual safety should you choose to keep a round chambered (a safety factor plus).

The revover offers the simplicity of operation, however if a problem does show up if is seldom a DIY fix or repair so it will need to be sent in for warranty repairs. While is used to be there were almost never any issues with a revolver, it seems to have become an issue that has come up more often as of late.

The one problem that does get mentioned form time to time anymore is some people as they age may have a problem with grasping the slide and pulling it back to chamber the first round. Or in an emergency their spouse may have the same problem. Where as the revolver is a grab, point and pull the trigger simple to fire get it done matter.

If this were months ago, I would have directed you to the Taurus PT911 over the 809, but then I like metal over poly pistols. But finding a 911 would be tough to do anymore.

Think it through add up the plus and minus, then go for what you feel would fit your needs and comfort zone.

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
Get the one that could most likely be banned...it will take them longer to get to revolvers.

Reactions: mwj999

·
Registered
521 Posts
Personally, when I am torn like that, and I was recently... I used my wife as a sounding board. She isn't even into firearms that much, though she has no problem with them. Still, getting her perspective can help clarify which way to go. In my case, I especially needed her advice, since there will be times when she'd need to carry it. Made it a lot simpler.

Works for me at least.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It may have been noticed on some of the other boards, but my "paralysis from over analysis" has been fixed.

I bought the NIB (on line) M856SS2 for $313. I haven't received it yet. Will probably be a week before I get it from the local FFL.

I also bought a previously owned PT145 Millennium Pro (3rd Generation) for $325. Got a really great deal. It included 2 leather Galco holsters and and extra 2 OEM magazines.

I'm hoping to get to a range this coming weekend and fire a few rounds in the PT145. I need to see what I got.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Congrats...test out all the magazines.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm not entirely facitious when I say one of each. I like both a revolver and a semi-auto for their respective strengths. I'll carry the auto and keep the revolver close at the house. Can't lose that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts