Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....it arrived yesterday at my LGS....and I went and picked it up this morning! I have to say....the fit and finish on this shotgun is much much nicer than I was expecting for the $399 price-tag. The reviews and descriptions on the interwebs are all over the place. Truthfully, I was expecting some (mostly) plastic shoot-for-fun-occasionally, marginal quality conversation piece. When I got it out, took it apart, and cleaned it all up, I changed my mind. The hand guard, muzzle device, and "upper" are all made out of an aluminum alloy with little to no tool-marks. The picatinny rails are machined in. The "lower", grip and stock are all made from polymer and feel thick and durable (to my untrained eye!). Fire control group, bolt catch, and mag-release are all REAL metal (not pot-metal), although I'm not sure what kind. Trigger pull I would estimate at around 7 pounds and feels quite nice with NO take-up (seriously...NONE!) and a crisp break.

The shotgun came with an adjustable cheek-rest, front sight, and an M-16 type carry handle.....all of which I immediately tossed into the parts drawer....never to be seen again. They're made of plastic and of questionable quality. NO THANKS. The two 5-round magazines are steel with polymer base-plates and followers. Breakdown for cleaning is super easy and reminds me a lot of how my Mossberg 500 disassembles. The bolt is heavy and well machined. The action is tight and smooth. Like I said. I'm very pleasantly surprised!

That's enough for now......so.....here are the pictures!

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1893.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

If this thing shoots half as good as it looks, I'll be thrilled!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Sure looks like more than a $400. gun- Hope it serves you well.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Man, I've been eyeballing these things and other guns like them a bunch lately. I'm super curious as to how it goes at the range.

If all goes well, you should take it to shoot traps/clays just because it'll get you the side-eye from the traditionalists.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Gauge? Looks like a .410.

Reactions: paulky_2000

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Man, I've been eyeballing these things and other guns like them a bunch lately. I'm super curious as to how it goes at the range.

If all goes well, you should take it to shoot traps/clays just because it'll get you the side-eye from the traditionalists.

For a reason. FIT matters on the trap and skeet range. It would be like driving a nail with a screw driver.

I thought about getting a Saiga 12 (when I was looking for something tacticool before the election) for hog hunting since I'm in thick woods and nothing stops a hog quite like a 72 caliber chunk of Breneke slug. :D But, alas, I ended up with an M4.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
It's a 12 gauge........

Kicks like I smacked its sister. ;)

A lot of that could be improper fit. It's probably pretty light, too. My 12 gauge gas gun is a powder puff, hotter the load, less the recoil it seems. It does fit pretty perfectly. The gas operated action soaks up a lot of recoil. My old SxS is the one that kicks. God help ya with a slug. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took this AR12 out to shoot a bit this morning....and I have to say....

...I really really like this thing!!

However....it was not an issue-free evolution......and I will share these with you now.

1) It HATES cheap Winchester target loads (all 7 1/2, 2 3/4") but didn't seem to mind the Federal of the exact same size. The Winchesters wouldn't reciprocate the bolt and had to be ejected by hand. With the Federal, I had one stove-pipe out of 50 rounds. Not bad for a brand new shotgun, I think. Federal 00 Buck was was flawless.....as was the Wolf 00 Buck and the Federal 1oz slugs.

2) During the VERY FIRST MAGAZINE through the gun, The cheap VISM red dot was destroyed. Shot one, the dot moved all the way to the left. Shot two, the dot proceeded to travel southward. Shot three, the entire mounting claw on the left hand side sheared away and the optic fell off.....

View attachment 397785

View attachment 397793

....imagine my shock that it didn't last. ;) I wish I could be sad about it, but I just can't seem get there.

ANYWAY......after I switched over to one of my Holosun sights....there were no more issues. If you haven't tried Holosun yet. Do it. Seriously.....stop reading and go buy one. You can come back and thank me later.

View attachment 397801

View attachment 397809

3) The magazines do not drop free.....but I don't really care about that.

Breakdown for cleaning is pretty simple. I had it apart, cleaned, and reassembled in 15 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Winchester promotional ammo, the dove loads you get at Wallyworld, are notorious for jamming pumps up. One must slam the butt down while holding the pump and it'll usually break free. My old Mossberg duck gun's extractor is a little worn and will just slip off the rim and I end up punching it out with a cleaning rod. Now, I don't have a problem with the promotional dove loads, but the promotional steel shot, especially in 3" or 3.5" SUCK. My 535 just jams up every time with the cheap 3.5". I guess they make this stuff for single shots and double barrels or something. Try Winchester AA target loads. They're pricey, but the brass is BRASS and if those stick, it really IS your gun.

So, don't blame your gun for crappy ammo is all I'm saying. :rofl: I buy the promotional stuff for dove hunting, but I hunt doves with 20 gauge doubles, my fave being a CZ Redhead Deluxe 20 gauge. Funny thing, though, my Winchester 1400 feeds it all in 2 3/4". It only takes 2 3/4", but it eats the Winchester stuff, steel and dove loads, like candy. Go figure. I've heard if you take a steel wool pad and polish the chamber with it, it'll feed and extract the stuff. Yeah, right! The actual problem is they don't make these loads with brass anymore, steel cases.

I've heard this complaint from 870 owners and Mossberg owners as well as B gun pumps. But, heck, if you can afford a B gun, you can afford tungsten shot. :rofl:

·
Registered
959 Posts
Just got my AR-12 from Grab-A-Gun...<:)) Good service. Arrived in PERFECT condition... Just got me 50 3" Federal TruBall Mag Slugs to "BREAK" this Gun in, Per Factory Info... Also got two 10 round Pro Mag MKA 1919... (that work)(but tight)(there is a few little mods to make these Mags work Real Nice)

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
A guy at work just picked up one of these, and absolutely loves it. Then i showed him the Saiga 12's and he practically had to go change his underwear, so now he's on the hunt for one.

Best of luck with your new weapon, and definitely stay away from the Winchester shells (and IMO most of their target ammo in general), even my Mossberg pump doesn't like them much at all. Federal and Remington have been my goto rounds for years now, aside from the occasional hard primer i haven't had any troubles with them.

Sent from my Studio XL 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
959 Posts
~ AR-12 Ammo Bag ~

I found this is the Perfect Bag for the AR-12 Range Goodies, like the two 12" long 10 round MAG's...
Yes I have 50 rounds, two 5 round MAG's, "BEST" MAG Loader, and some other Range Stuff...
Yes all that is in the AR-12 Ammo Bag Pic...

Harbor Freight 12" Tool Bag Coupon save and Print-out (get it now through Fathers Day at this SUPER Price)
Quality of this Bag is 5 Stars (Bag is Perfect Color, and Full of Pockets)
Click NOW: Coupon Display

1 - 20 of 31 Posts