Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda new here to the forum but since my second taurus purchase, thought I might be able to get some questions answered.
I've been thinking of putting a drop of "glow-in-the-dark" paint on my sights. Has anyone ever tried this? I did put a drop of red nail polish on the front sight of my Mil-Pro 9 and it seems to have helped with quicker targeting. I've added a Stainless 617 to my collection and thought that dressing up the sight line with this type of paint might help a bit. It is pretty accurate as is, but since I put the drop of "polish" on my 9 my grouping has tightened up conciderably.
Anyone ever hear of doing this or is it something I need to check out on my own? The paint I'm looking to get is highly visible and it says it will glow in the dark for up to 12 hours.

Thanks.....

·
32,575 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2555.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6017.0

The glow in the dark paints have severe limitations, short light time(30 minutes or less), and have to be refreshed too frequently. From most tactical points of view the glow in the dark paints are not a viable solution.

If you are in a defense scenario and lights on the sights dim relighting them is necessary.
Turn on a light to do that and the bad guy has a prime target he can't miss. Under extreme duress, stress, and fine motor skills will be lacking, do you want to have to do that.

Take your eyes off the bad guy and he can surprise you and shoot you down.
The good alternatives as far as night sights go or low light conditions are concerned are in the second link.

There are tactical flashlights made. Use one of these ,but don't attach it to a rail on the gun. When the light goes on the bad guy has now a beacon to shoot at.

There are techniques to holding a tactical/flashlight like the Harris and other techniques where the light is turned on for a second or two and then the light is doused and turned off. That gives you a picture to of what's happening ,but nothing the criminal can shoot at normally. Moving to a new location is a good idea. The light on for a second or two gives a sight picture long enough to shoot if necessary.

Mas Ayoob's Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery an other authors have flashlight techniques in them and how to use them.
Combat Handguns, American Handgunner,S.W.A.T., and other tactical or police magazines and journals have this in as well.
Advance shooting techniques can be had at accredited shooting schools. Make sure that the flashlight/tactical light stuff is covered if that is what you want or need.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
1. i've never used glow in the dark paints but i've heard they can glow for several hours as reasonable lamination.. and for many hours at a dimmer state.

im not saying your wrong and obviously i would'nt believe they can go for 8 hours without seeing it my self but 30 mins sounds a bit low to me.

2. they do have infrared lights you can use to charge them.. you can't see infrared with the naked eye.. only shows up on video cameras and night vision scopes/goggles.

dont point it in your eye though it can still damage your vision even though you can't see it.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The glow in the dark paints have a "useable" illumination for about an hour. They are fairly useless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your quick replies.
At this point I am more interested in brightening up the sights for easier targeting. The "glow-in-the-dark" factor would be a plus, but from all I've read about in a night time defensive situation, more often than not, sighting comes from knowing your firearm. The time it takes to draw a bead and pull the trigger could leave you cold, as it were. I'm not saying that you randomly shoot in the general direction of the BG, but being prepaired and knowing your gun is paramount.
Most defensive situations last only a few seconds and are often shots "from the hip".

I'm beginning to enjoy this forum more with each visit......

·
32,575 Posts
thomasm4. You got the gist of it and seem wise. That'll hold you in good stead if anything ever happens.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5569.0

Let it be recommended that these authors be looked up and a small reference library be started. Mas Ayoob at Gun Digest Books, www.krause.com , and Police Book Shelf, are good places to start.

These have easy to read and understand info. Step by step info as well.

Better than most advice given on the Internet. These and the other authors are the real deal.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
wheres a good place to get your nitesights installed?

i was thinking about getting some on my 92 but it shoots so well im almost afraid to send it out to have the sights toyed with i'd hate for them to come pack and be off seeing as it's a fixed sighted gun.

price is always a consideration but coming back accurate is more important.

i still like the idea of glow in the dark, the guy selling "nitesiters" has 8 dots for 10 bucks.. i might try'em anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i'm not sure if everyone gets the same banner ads (above) but i checked out the link:

http://www.nitesiters.com/

these look pretty good, especially in the youtube demonstration. some of the same "charging" issues apply but seem to be much less of a problem than glow-paints. it looks like they come in little pre-fabbed dots that you just use adhere to the existing sights.

and the price is right. i think i'm gonna give them a try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You'd think someone would've already said something about the quality of the product in this thread.

and i guess everybody does get the same banner ad (above.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used the nitesiters listed above and they are worth the money, comes with everything needed for the install . L would recomend the small black lite flashlite for chargeimg the dots it works pretty good. I have tried paint and its not as good . LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've tried various glow-in-the-dark paints, and always seem to go back to either bright green Testor's model paint or nail polish. I just didn't want to fuss with charging the glow stuff.

JLaw

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have low watt night lights on scattered through out the house, so i don't trip over my 3 dogs at night, 2 big dogs and a beagle, i call him my ankel dog, the other two hit high. if i awake in the middle of the night the night lights are very bright as my eyes are already acclimated to the dark. i,m sure the dogs will keep the perp busy while i aquire my site picture. put some bright halogens on motion sensors outside so the perps night vision is screwed up before he gets in the house, if he even still chooses to come in. if after the first round is touched off both of you will probably be blind and half deaf anyway. practice in low light so that your sidearm is an extension of your hand. INMHO you probably do just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts