Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm puzzled by something I saw in a gun magazine. The writer was complaining about getting "nicked" when he fired a Browning Hi Power auto.

The odd thing, to me, was in the picture of the problem. He held the gun with the web of his hand clear up over the point of the "grip tang" or "beaver tail" or whatever you want to call it. That is to say, considerably above where the grip curves up and back below the slide/at the top of the grips. Another picture showed his thumb apparently touching the bottom of the slide as well.

When I fire one I put the web of my hand right in the curve, not up above it an inch.

Maybe others saw this article. Am I the only one who thinks this guy's hold is crazy?

Thanks a million

JimL

I could post a picture if helpful.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also drew a little blood with my pt-145, the rough texture at the round part under the slide would rub the back of my thumb along the rear joint. I took some fine body sand paper wet type and smothed it out and no more problem. Maybe a bur on the frame not sure but works great now. :eek:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kd4iea said:
I also drew a little blood with my pt-145, the rough texture at the round part under the slide would rub the back of my thumb along the rear joint. I took some fine body sand paper wet type and smothed it out and no more problem. Maybe a bur on the frame not sure but works great now. :eek:
Do you fire it like this?

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Administrator
17,921 Posts
JimL said:
Am I the only one who thinks this guy's hold is crazy?
Nope, that's absolutely crazy! Just goes to show you what they are recruiting for Gunwriters these days. Which GunRag did you see this one in?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Wow, that guy needs to join this forum, what the heck guess not, he wouldn't listen to the staff anyway.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jwc007 said:
Nope, that's absolutely crazy! Just goes to show you what they are recruiting for Gunwriters these days. Which GunRag did you see this one in?
Guns&Ammo, Handguns 2008 Annual.

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mrglock said:
Interestingly enough, the picture is an illustration of the "solution" to the problem - cutting away the underside of the hammer.

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
texas shooter said:
Wow, that guy needs to join this forum, what the heck guess not, he wouldn't listen to the staff anyway.
Maybe he'd listen to non-staff? Nah. I suspect that would be another case of trying to match wits with the witless (the guy with his hand against the hammer being the witless one).

I should talk. The other day I went to fire one round, a bit hastily as it turned out. Firing from waist level so I could watch where the casing went, instead of putting my support hand under the other, I put it over. :zzz: My thumb is still in the process of replacing some skin.

JimL

·
Registered
239 Posts
If the shooter won't listen to anyone about holding the Browning improperly, his hands need to go on a diet.

ECS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts