Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some Pachmayr Full Signature replacement grips with finger gooves from cheaper then dirt..

they came today and i thought yay i'll put them on since im planing on shooting it for the first time this weekend im not crazy about the standard plastic grips on it.

ran into a few problems, 1 the wraparound make it very very very tight and hard to line up the holes..

when i finally did get the holes lined up i could not get them to screw in.. i called pachmayr and asked i needed replacement screws or if stock taurus grip screws would work.. perhaps replacement screws was included and just missing from mine? they informed me that stock screws was to be used.. the lady (who i failed to get her name) told me the grips needed to be counter sunk some more.. :(

i then asked if she would be paying shipping since i already paid a pretty penny to get them.
So im to get reimbursed if i include the shipping receipt, which is good only now i wont have them for this weekend :(

has anyone else used these grips before or had this problem? i also noticed the grips are much thicker then the standard plastic grips im now doubting rather or not these will be any better since i like to have a firm grasp and a closed hand is better then a open one even if the grip is better, i have fairly large hands too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had the same type of issue with my PT100. I ended up returning them.. My stock grips were the wood ones, which were never really comfortable for me. I ended up putting the rubber Hogues grips, and have thought about adding the pachmeyr slips ons for the finger grooves. Sorry not much help...

·
Administrator
18,060 Posts
I've read that sometimes you have to heat some of the Rubber Grips up with a Hairdryer in order to have them fit. Have not had good luck with the Pachmayer Grips on Semi-Auto's but their Revolver Grips have been stellar. Would be curious to try the Pachmayer Finger Groove Grips on my PT92.

Found the Hogue Slip On Grips a bit too large on my PT92, but the Uncle Mikes/Butler Creek Slip-On Grips have been very good for me on a variety of Hi-Cap 9mm Pistols. Below is a pic of my PT92 with a set of Factory Plastic Grips under an Uncle Mikes/Butler Creek Grip Sleeve.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm.. i had not thought of that but i suppose it's worth a shot.. maybe i'll google to see if anyone has a install guide.

i have a feeling they are gonna be fatter then i want once i get them on anyway.. really want finger grooves but im now thinking i should just go with a pair of rubber grips.. which are both easier to find and cheaper but it means i'll be eating the 30bucks i paid for the packmayr's :/

·
Registered
317 Posts
How did you get the factory top screw out the left side panel. Mine has some kind of ring holding it in above the decock spring. Just got these today for christmas from the wife and don't want to tell her anything else has to go back cause it don't fit.

·
Administrator
18,060 Posts
If you are talking about the Grip Screw Bushing, shown below, that is supposed to stay in the frame to help retain the Decocker Return Spring. If the Grip Screw Bushing has come out, as frequently seems to happen, put it back in the frame if you can get it seperated from the Grip Screw.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well I went to mess with them today and the screw came out just fine. ?? So I got them put on. I gave the bushing a quick tighten first though. These grips would be perfect if they were thinner than the factory ones but with the added "grippyness" of the rubber and the backstrap piece they still feel better. I try to post some pics when I get home. Thanks again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you wanted the grips like the stock style I think you can get some rubber panels. I just got the Pachmayr grips on Xmas and had a hard time getting the back strap on but then I manned up and used my Irish magic and got the whole thing installed in 2 minutes. They look good on your gun tj, but they look even better on a stainless model.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I wanted the finger grooves. I got mine on Christmas too, and they are a strecth to put on. I did notice the backstrap said Beretta 92 so i tried it without first and it felt empty on the back side.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah I had mine on without that back strap for about 3 minutes. After handling and looking at the gun I realized that the back strap was integral to the entire idea of a "wraparound" grip. I want to get another set for my PT 101. Only thing that has got me wondering is how the grips will fit on a gun that already has grooves cut into the frame? Hopefully they will line up and fit as well as they do on my 92.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just ordered a PT 101 Plus I believe is what they are calling them. Taurus has decided to redesign their already redesigned 92/100 series. It has grooves cut into the frame but the real selling point is 16 in the mag as opposed to the 11. I feel better knowing that I only paid 399, considering my local shops want like 475 for one. I can't even find the gun on the Taurus USA website, but the Brazilian site has it listed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
TheDude said:
I just ordered a PT 101 Plus I believe is what they are calling them. Taurus has decided to redesign their already redesigned 92/100 series. It has grooves cut into the frame but the real selling point is 16 in the mag as opposed to the 11. I feel better knowing that I only paid 399, considering my local shops want like 475 for one. I can't even find the gun on the Taurus USA website, but the Brazilian site has it listed.
Congrats on your new purchase. I too have the pt101p and believe me the finger grooves are awesome. Not too large, but not too small. It has a very comfortable grip. 16+1 was the selling point for me as well. Shoots flawlessly. :)

·
Registered
36,602 Posts
well of course my mod. 99 is about 20 plus years old and so has no decocker and other modern frills but, Mine has worn pachs since I got it, they installed with no problems other than needing to be firmly gripped and stretched around the frame, used the same grip screws and everything worked just fine. the idea of warming them up (especially if they are cold) sounds like a great idea to me, wish I had thought of that when I installed mine years ago, it would have saved a lot of huffing and puffing from an old man!
of course they need to be a tight fit so they will not stretch over time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The stock plastic grip panels on my PT-101P just don't feel right. I bought a Pachmayr full wraparound grip, which installed over the existing finger grooves on the frame of the 101P just fine. The rubber finger grooves gave a better grip. But... with the rear piece installed, the grip - which is already kinda large for my hands - even bulkier. Because the rear piece is integral part, it doesn't look or feel right without it.

I ended up getting a set of Hogue grip panels instead. Not wraparound finger grooves, but with the finger groove already cast into the frame, not too big a deal. The rubber panels aren't any thinner than stock plastic, but they give me a better tactile feel and a more secure grip.

Too bad the Pachmayr didn't work out of me. I really like the looks. They are of excellent quality, fit & finish, and would work great in larger hands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts