Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why PA changed a while back from honoring a VA permit, to not honoring a VA permit?

·
Registered
682 Posts
And while in theory it is possible to get a non resident PA permit it is in effect very difficult at least it was 3 years ago. I called ahead to a county sheriff office and they said yes but when I got there 2 weeks later they said they'd stopped. I talked my way into the 'last'. They set the price so the county can't make enough was my interpretation.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Ohio and West Virginia are the only two states that border Pennsylvania that have a reciprocity agreement with them. Also it has to be a resident permit.

Ohio had been dropped by Virginia when Ohio allowed active duty military under 21 and at least 18 years old. Veteran groups went off in Virginia and Virginia restored reciprocity. It also looked bad in the press.

However, below is the link why they dropped Virginia.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/04/pe...-carry-permits-starting-may-16/#axzz65ICw4q2h

Maloy

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
Well, that made me go check to see if anything had changed for Michigan's reciprocity. OK, I know it's a good idea to to that regularly, but I can't remember the last time I checked.

Reactions: william

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Best and most up-to-date handgun law site - Handgunlaw.us

PA recognizes VA, but VA does not recognize PA.

Reactions: Tuco_Ramírez

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Our right to keep and bear arms should not end at any states border.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
What country is the state in? The country says i can keep and bear bear arms. The states agreed to the country right to what's in the powers of the Constitution. The country agreed that what's not in the constitution is up to the state or the people.
Shall not be infringed is to be upheld and no one state can say other wise. Criminals don't care about laws. The state is criminal by infringing A2. The supreme court must up hold the constitution be in contempt.
If "we the people" blindly follow what the powers tell us "is" and is "not" as "they" see fit, we are right back to the mid 1770's.
I am carrying legal. The state is illegal. Well, not my state we have constitutional carry.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
You have that backwards. VA recognizes PA, but PA does not recognize VA.
You are most assuredly correct, best source is generally the Attorney General website of at least one state in question and the answers are a pulldown menu away. This is taken from the Attorney General of Pennsylvania website.

I know sometimes reciprocity can change on a whim, but when I was in Virginia two years ago I knew I was fine there. It was only when I was in Maryland and Delaware that I was nervous about carrying out and about.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I may be bias but Handgunlaw.us is the best place to start. The reason is I wanted the info on each states page when I visited that states. There are direct links to all the states CCW sites/AGs/Reciprocity/FAQs and all the other info the state or issuing authority puts out to confirm all the info on the page. All Laws quoted have a link to the law for that state so you can read it for yourself. Don't trust want anyone says in a forum. I have seen more incorrect info than I have see correct info. Confirm and don't trust what someone tells you on the internet. It is you that will pay the price.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The lunacy playing out in the big population centers of VA. may just make reciprocity of a VA CPL moot.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The lunacy playing out in the big population centers of VA. may just make reciprocity of a VA CPL moot.
I agree. I got a Utah permit when the last lunacy in Virginia happened and I will keep it active along with my Va. permit because I don't trust the politicians in my state.

·
Registered
2 Posts
And keeping in mind that in principle it is conceivable to get a non inhabitant PA grant it is essentially exceptionally troublesome at any rate it was 3 years prior. I called ahead to an area sheriff office and they said yes yet when I arrived 2 weeks after the fact they said they'd halted. I talked my way into the 'last'. They set the cost so the district can't make enough was my translation....

·
Administrator
35,320 Posts
Pennsylvania has always been one of those blue states that oppress gun owner's rights - not quite as draconian as Massachusetts or NY, but pretty bad. I think you can supposedly open carry in most parts of the state too, except Philadelphia, but I've also heard that it's a crap shoot as to if you get hassled for it. Who knows. I'll probably never set foot there again, only time I was there was on a work trip about 22 years ago.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Pennsylvania has always been one of those blue states that oppress gun owner's rights - not quite as draconian as Massachusetts or NY, but pretty bad. I think you can supposedly open carry in most parts of the state too, except Philadelphia, but I've also heard that it's a crap shoot as to if you get hassled for it. Who knows. I'll probably never set foot there again, only time I was there was on a work trip about 22 years ago.
I've lived in Pennsylvania my whole life, and up until recently it was a pretty 2A-friendly State with legal Open Carry and easy-to-obtain Licenses. The only problem was that Open Carry isn't a legal right, (there just aren't any laws against it) up until a couple of years ago, police could hassle you about it, and you couldn't carry onboard vehicles as that was considered a form of concealment, even if you kept it right out in the open. However, awhile back there was actually a legal battle on the issue in which the Judge ruled that police couldn't stop or detain anyone simply because they were visibly carrying a firearm on their person, so that's no longer an issue.
Furthermore, a License to Carry Concealed is as easily obtained as showing up at the Sheriff's Office, (or other designated locations) filling out a minor bit of paperwork, then handing a person at the desk $20.

That said, Governor Tom Wolf is currently living up to his name by suddenly pushing a ton of Gun Control laws, (including a few which were blatantly against existing state laws) so now Polymer 80 frames are restricted (for now) and require an FFL Transfer. Fortunately, he's facing staunch opposition, will most likely fail, and will have only succeeded in making the 2A supporting citizens that much more vigilant.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
"PA doesn't honor VA". Given the votes for gun control in Virginia's legislature and your anti-second amendment Governor I'd be more concerned with a future in which Virginia may not be honoring Virginia.

Reactions: slong115
1 - 20 of 21 Posts