Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted a Beretta 92, but knowing how the Italians think in terms of their creations "once it's done, it's perfect". Do the Brazilians do something better with the 92 that the Italians don't? Beretta has a long and proud history as gun makers so what has Taurus done to refine an already perfect 9mm?

*disclosure, my "opinion" comes from readings not from practical use. So take what I say with a grain of salt. I am in no way a pro. Just a student of the art. I am however quickly becoming a professional amateur ;D

·
Administrator
17,895 Posts
IMO, the main difference has been the Taurus frame mounted safety, which gives you another carry option, cocked and locked, vs. the Slide mounted Hammer drop safety of the Beretta 92. Also, Taurus Slides and Frames seem a little more beefier than the Beretta 92's and this can be felt in the grip, as the Beretta Grip seems slightly smaller, which may, or may not be desirable, depending upon the size of your hand.

Beretta now has a new model of the Beretta 92, called the 902, whose main improvement is a two stage tandem recoil spring assembly, so Beretta has not been idle in improving the design. Also, Beretta 92's and variants have a newer/improved locking block design with an improved servoce life. Taurus has not followed suit, but should.

I have a well worn Taurus 92 that has served me very well with 24,000 rounds through it. It has been, and still is, a very good value for the lower cost.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
What jwc007 said pretty much sums it up. The Berettas I've seen of late are lower in cost than they were just a few years ago, at least in my neck of the woods, though the Taurus PT92 is competitive in that area too.

I'd say if you want the Beretta, by all means get it. On the other hand, if you get the PT92, I think you'll be equally as pleased -- they're rugged, reliable, handsome pistols and will last a lifetime. I can deal with the slide mounted safety but prefer the frame mounted on the Taurus as opposed to the Beretta.

Either way, you can't go wrong. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Beretta 92 is like a fine watch. Rack the slide once and you will be sold. Superbly accurate as well. It is the only gun I own that will never be sold. In my mind it is the gold standard by which the others are judged.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Actually Taurus has made several improvements to the 92, like move the safety onto the frame where it should be, beef-up the slide and barrel and especially in the last few years, Taurus has been using better materials to build their 92's compared to Beretta. I have owned Beretta 92's in the past, but have upgraded to Taurus 92's only.

Don't get me wrong I like Beretta 92 style and would never knock anyone for owning a Beretta 92/m9 series, I just prefer to shoot the Taurus.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Actually Taurus has made several improvements to the 92, like move the safety onto the frame where it should be, beef-up the slide and barrel and especially in the last few years, Taurus has been using better materials to build their 92's compared to Beretta. I have owned Beretta 92's in the past, but have upgraded to Taurus 92's only.
I don't know about that; better materials like what? beef up the slide/ barrel how? just curoius...never heard that before ???

PT92 is more of a 92F copy (vs FS); there is no oversized hammer pin to prevent the slide from flying back if the slide would ever break.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Any competent gunsmith should be able to explain the fine differences between a Taurus and a Beretta. People always seem to have a bias against Taurus firearms when they are compared to similar designs by other makers, Taurus bought the rights to the early 92 design many years ago and continued development of that design which explains the fine differances, Berreta has left its pistol pretty much the same (nothing wrong with it). I might have kept my last Beretta had it not been lost to my x-wife, lucky for me I don't really miss either ;) If there were not so many other firearms being made that I want to own, I'd might buy another someday. But I still prefer my Taurus 92 better.

Its like the old battle over people loving there Ford and Chevys, both great automakers. Just pick one and enjoy :)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'd say that they are both quality guns. If it was me, why spend the extra money when you can buy more ammo and mags with that extra money?

BUT here's the catch. IF you would/are using a Beretta as a duty sidearm then I'd recommend against the Taurus just so all the levers (in particular the safety) are in the exact same place as your duty gun. Yes, there is only a small difference in location between the frame and slide mount locations but why risk it?

Steelheart

·
Registered
126 Posts
I prefer the Taurus for several simple reasons already noted:

Frame mounted safety and cocked and locked capability

Cheaper gun, mags to begin with.

Mine has well over 10K rounds through it over 9 or so years and is still one of my favorite guns. Although the Pachmayr grips probably need to go, it's a fat sucker with those on it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Steelheart said:
I'd say that they are both quality guns. If it was me, why spend the extra money when you can buy more ammo and mags with that extra money?

BUT here's the catch. IF you would/are using a Beretta as a duty sidearm then I'd recommend against the Taurus just so all the levers (in particular the safety) are in the exact same place as your duty gun. Yes, there is only a small difference in location between the frame and slide mount locations but why risk it?

Steelheart
Why not use the Taurus as the duty weapon? I would... Old rule of thumb, train with what you use and use what you train with :) Most LE departments do not care what weapon you use as long as it is of good quality and the caliber is something approved. Oh and I like the fat Pachmayr grips, fits my hands better.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
IMO PT92 is a best gun you can get under $400...but Beretta is worth the extra money.

also I think beretta has gone thu more changes than Taurus over the years (92S, F, FS, G, D 90-two)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't really consider model variations as changes, I was referring to actually redesigning a firearm as a change (which taurus has done).

·
Registered
299 Posts
They are both great pistols. The Beretta has a rep for being "finer", and has the hammer-drop safety. I have owned both, and let the Beretta go, since I was more comfortable with the frame safety of the Taurus. You won't go wrong with either. Hopefully, you will be able to afford both, if you wish.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I was thinking of an issued weapon from a department where you don't have the option to carry a personally owned weapon on duty. I think this is more the larger departments (or agencys). Or if you are military you are stuck with whatever you are handed.

But if you have the choice, yeah! And I'd suspect that with some serious shopping around you could find yourself a spare PT92 (likely used) for the price difference to the Beretta. Or just get lots of training ammo....

Steelheart

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've got a PT92 and I am going to get a beretta 92 FS when I get a bit more money. I will probably carry the PT 92 because of the "cocked and locked" capability plus I love the feel of the gun. But I may change it up or carry both during the winter when I have to wear a big coat.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Issue guns are often the the cheapest, not the best weapon for use. Remember all those early S&W Sigmas that were bought all of the country, few if any departments use them now that I know of.

Also Mr. Peepers, cocked and locked in my experience means rd. cambered, hammer back with safety on. Which both my Taurus PT's do. Is there some other meaning you are using? And secondly why would want to carry a sa/da pistol in that fashion? Even though many would carry a 1911 or other SA in that style it really isn't the safest way to CCW. (just curious). It is fun to shoot 2 matching handguns at the range, at the sametime ;)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I don't really consider model variations as changes, I was referring to actually redesigning a firearm as a change (which taurus has done).
all those models have been redesigned and are different.

92S - original 92 (mag release on the bottom of the grip, round trigger guard)
92F - the original M9 (suare trigger guard, mag release button in the right place)
92FS - 92F with oversized hammer pin (to prevent the slide from going back if it would ever brake) - Taurus never did this!
92 D - DAO model
92 G - decoker only model
plus ther's Elite 1 and 2, Vertec (smaller grip), Brigadier (beefier slide) and the new 90-two wich is completely redesigned 92FS ;)

not sure of any changes that Taurus made to PT92 as far as I know it's always been the same gun...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
LOL! Stubborn people crack me up...

No point me kicking a dead horse. If you don't know by now, there is no point going on about it, so I'll let it go. Just be happy with which ever gun you own, be happy and practice with it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If you don't know by now, there is no point going on about it, so I'll let it go
By now?::)

you have made a number of claims in this thread and provided ZERO evidence to support it... NONE of which are true as far as I know

next time please have some proof to support your statements... ;-)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts