Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the manual it says not to use +p ammo in the 1911,it will void the warranty . Is the frame not strong enough to handle it or do they just not want to fix guns shooting hot loads?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I wouldn't see any reason for a good steel framed 1911 to not be able to handle +P loads. I'd suspect that its a legal thing but to be safe I'd suggest using mostly standard pressure loads with a few +P's for carry if you wish. With the 5" barrel you'll be getting good speed out of the standard pressure loads. I suspect that the target won't know the difference between a +P and a non +P load, where you hit will make a bigger difference. The +P loads will increase the time between your shots due to the greater recoil, the hotter the load, the more recoil it generates.

When I carry my 1911 I use standard pressure loads (mostly 230gr hydra-shok). I did do a conversion to 45 super for when I was in northern Mn but have shot less than 60rds of that. You do know when you touch off a 230gr slug at 1100 fps and it does slow you down between shots. No, I never tried the JHP ammo as I'd rather use 45acp for that type of work.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,686 Posts
The real danger in MUCH hotter loads is premature unlocking of the action and a case blow out. I've fired +P in 1911s, but I always go with a more appropriate recoil spring rate. Wilsons, Wolff, and others offer spring kits for the 1911 in various weights up to heavy enough for the .45 Super. I used to also use a recoil buffer, a little plastic thing from Wilsons that slid over the spring guide and cushioned the shock of the slide to frame. Hot loads in my AMT Hardballer started showing a little flair on the slide where it contacts the frame, the reason I installed the recoil buffers. They don't last forever and a session with +P stuff even with the 22 lb spring installed would smash one flat, but they were cheap and good insurance.

I kept +P stuff to a bare minimum in my 1911s because of the wear I saw on the slide, flaring where it contacts the frame, in just a few hundred rounds. Even with an appropriately heavy spring and the recoil buffers, I did not feel the 1911 was really up to the task of shooting much +P. They need to be tested in the gun if you're going to carry them, then used very sparingly IMHO in a 1911. My Ruger P90 will eat 'em all day long and twice on Sunday, but it's a much stronger built gun with a heavier slide (more slide weight = less recoil velocity) and I use heavy springs in it, too. I don't feel that an unaltered 1911 should be fired with +P at all.

BUT, that's just my humble opinion and not anything based on other than my own experience and personal paranoias. This is not specific to the PT1911, but ANY 1911. They were NOT originally designed for such pressures after all. The design is nearly 100 years old, from a time when smokeless powder was quite new and exotic, let alone the concept of +P pressures.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought +P by mistake yesterday and didnt realize it was +P till at the range. It functioned but wow what a difference in recoil! I had a few failures to eject which I have NEVER had before with my PT1911. I contribute this to weak wristing the gun, not used to those loads. I wont buy them again.

·
Super Moderator
35,686 Posts
+P will stress the frame and pound the slide where it hits. If you're going to do it, I'd recommend a 22 lb spring and recoil buffers. The buffers don't last long with +P, pound flat in 50-100 rounds even with a 22 lb spring, so just be aware of that.

Funny, but I have no qualms firing +P in my Ruger P90, but still, I see no real reason. Standard pressure .45 is more'n powerful enough for anything I need it for, which is self defense. If I want a .45 to stop a hog or game, I have a .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk. I always said don't try to make a .38 into a .357, just buy a .357.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Steelheart said:
I wouldn't see any reason for a good steel framed 1911 to not be able to handle +P loads. I'd suspect that its a legal thing but to be safe I'd suggest using mostly standard pressure loads with a few +P's for carry if you wish. With the 5" barrel you'll be getting good speed out of the standard pressure loads. I suspect that the target won't know the difference between a +P and a non +P load, where you hit will make a bigger difference. The +P loads will increase the time between your shots due to the greater recoil, the hotter the load, the more recoil it generates.

When I carry my 1911 I use standard pressure loads (mostly 230gr hydra-shok). I did do a conversion to 45 super for when I was in northern Mn but have shot less than 60rds of that. You do know when you touch off a 230gr slug at 1100 fps and it does slow you down between shots. No, I never tried the JHP ammo as I'd rather use 45acp for that type of work.

Steelheart
what he said.

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
I don't see any reason for +p in a .45ACP. I've never used it in anything except .38 Special and that was in Model 10 Smiths.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts