Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks... I was just wondering what the verdict is on +P and Hollowpoints with the Mil Pros? Are +Ps tearing up these guns? Are Hollowpoints failing to feed? I've heard mixed reports and some mention of Taurus saying +P is OK as long as its under SAAMI specifications. Is this true? Also, info is hard to search for because no search engines recognize +P as a search term.

I've got a 3rd gen. I have fired mostly FMJ out of mine and have never had a failure to fire. I don't think I've fired a +P (but I might have), but I have fired probably 20 or 30 hollowpoints with no problem. I keep it loaded with FMJ target loads right now since I don't yet trust its reliability with HPs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I alternate carying my PT111 and my PT145 and even though I fire FMJ mainly at the range out of the PT111, I've shout about 100rounds of 124gr remington HP's, Speer GoldDot +P 147gr's, and winchester SXT +P 147gr blacktalons without any issue at all.

In my PT145 I have 100rounds of MFS +P 230gr HP's, 50 rounds of remington 230gr HP's, and 20 speer dot gold 200gr +P without issues.
Although I have to say that I've noticed some metal shavings and a slight grove in the frame right under where the recoil spring sits against the frame. The PT111 has this also just less pronounced.

·
32,808 Posts
Some very large mouthed JHPs might not feed or cause jams. Speer and Hornady XTP may cause problems, but this is a case by case basis rather than a overall pistol problem.

I have shot just about everything that Speer,Remington,Winchester, and Federal have put out through my PT111 Mil/pro. Add wide mouthed Silver Bear( Russian made ammo) 115gr. and 145 gr. JHPs to the mix. Haven't run into anything that this pistol will not take.
Here's some light reading that clarifies all this. This has to be one of the more often asked questions. :)

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=90.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=568.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=832.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1926.0

I will add that standard pressure loads are an advantage over +Ps for several reasons.

Added velocity gain in short barrels is minimal for the amount of energy wasted outside the barrel by burning powder and gasses.

Less recoil. Shorter recovery between shots. Fractions of a second or seconds are needed in a gun fight. One can bring the gun back down on target quicker and get in extra accurate shots if needed.

Less wear and tear on the gun and user. Gun parts and inner workings have less stress put on them. Same can be said for the user. Less fatigue and less stress on the user. May not seem like it ,but it is there. Long practice sessions will do this.

Standard pressure 115gr. and 124gr. bullets will get the job done. All the newer cutting edge bullets in all the primary defense calibers were and are designed to expand or deform at low velocities. Most in the 680 feet per second bracket.This has been true for over a decade or two.

Your gun should be able to take a steady diet of +P, but why do that? Ammo(+P) is expensive and practice can be accomplished with standard pressure ammo. Saves wear ,tear, and small parts replacement costs over a longer period. Recoil springs and other parts will need to be replaced after several thousand rounds or more anyway. Like all mechanical things these need to have worn parts taken care of.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You may void the warranty by using +P or +P+ ammo. This is taken right from the manual.

“Plus-P", “Plus-P-Plus” or other ultra or high velocity ammunition generates
pressures significantly in excess of the pressures associated with standard
ammunition. Such pressures may affect the useful life of the firearm or
exceed the margin of safety built into many pistols and could therefore be
DANGEROUS.

·
32,808 Posts
Then there is this from the 2007 catalog(Taurus isn't helping things by doing this) and it is a quote: +P RATED FOR DUTY USE
ALL Taurus handguns are engineered to accept a steady diet of factor-new Plus-P (+P) ammunition built to SAMMI specifications. This includes the Ultra-Lite hammer forged aluminum alloys, Titanium, blue steel, and stainless steel models. End of quote.

That's why I included the links with the info that I did.

PisnNapalm is right. The manual says that ,and then they go and undo it in the catalog. It seems that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing sometimes. Drives one to the point of frustration.

Many of the loads have velocities and bullet weights published as to what specs. Most approach or are in the +P brackets already.If one stays within those specs then there should be no troubles.

For example, Taurus recommends that weight for bullets be at 124 grains for a speed of 1224 feet per second. Most of the +P loads for the 9mm.are with in those boundries.

Corbon and Black Hills have some ammo that are screamers at or over 1300fps.and loaded to higher pressures. Checking out the pressures and velocity,stamped on some boxes( ammo maker web sites are another means to check),means you will know if it is within specs. Foreign made ammo is normally(not all) built to higher pressure and higher velocity than SAAMI specs. That can be detrimental to the gun and shooter not tomention dangerous. So these things need to be closely scrutinized before shooting the ammo.

+P+ can be a definite no-no in a lot of guns.Nice to have, but very well may not be needed.

Since a lot of users of ammo here have the short barreled guns +P and +P+ are not necessarily the best options. Velocity gain is minimal and wear and tear on the gun and user are more pronounced.

Longer barreled guns can make use extra power.

Ammo makers are putting loads out that burn the the powder more efficiently in short barrels within SAAMI specs without increased recoil. Not that many out there right know, but the numbers are increasing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts