Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find my owners manual and I can't find it on their website, does anyone know if you can use +P ammo in the 809 or 808C?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
before you use +p, call taurus and find out what your gun is rated for. :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Felix. That's exactly what I was looking for. I looked for that earlier but I don't know why I wasn't able to find it. I'm normally pretty good at googling things and finding what I'm looking for. Anyhoo, I've concluded that in a round about way they're saying yes it is ok to use +P but they dot recommend it. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
+P ammo for 809

The owners manual says you shouldn't use +P ammo in my 809C. Instead a use hollow point 124 grain Remington's. It's not what you hit them with, just where to hit them. I believe that you can look up the user's manual on the Taurus website.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
My 809 manual; bottom left:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yep, that is what the online manual says as well. And I certainly would go the range and fire 100 +P rounds. What they are saying is you can, but why?

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Yep, that is what the online manual says as well. And I certainly would go the range and fire 100 +P rounds. What they are saying is you can, but why?
Oh yeah, it's a PD round and you only ever want to fire a mag worth just to make sure it runs in the gun properly and then just carry with it. You never want to use it for target practice; too expensive and too stressful.

Reactions: Felix

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Pretty much every Taurus semi-auto is able to handle +P loads on a limited basis, but given the barrel length of the 809C you probably won't gain much benefit. The 9mm round in general travels plenty fast in standard pressures to cause its damage, and without at least a 5 inch barrel you won't gain much in that department in anything shorter.

Considering that standard pressure rounds average between 1000 and 1300 fps in muzzle velocity, I'm sure that round will find its intended target rather quickly within self defense ranges if you do your part and aim true. Most incidents don't occur outside of 7 yards, which is really a short distance to cover on foot in a confrontation. The extra bump in velocity won't do much that close, unless it's a Minnesota winter and you have to shoot through five layers of thermal lined clothing.

I'm more of the mind in using the mid to heavy weight projectiles versus higher pressured powder loads. Most any 9mm will push 115-124 gr. rounds with flawless operation over and over again; and some can be just as accurate and more effecitive with 147 gr. because the bump in mass is what gives you the real stopping power IMO. Some people go with a light grain in the 90 - 100 gr. range, but sometimes they won't cycle a pistol properly due to the lighter powder charge propelling the projectile to high velocities.

Self defense ammo is a really personal choice that comes down to the comfort and trust the operator will put in the weapon/ammo combination. Sometimes it's best to buy a few brands and try them out to find what works best, cleaning the gun between brands to see how they feel independently. That way you know what you want to carry, what you'll accept as a second option, and what you wouldn't ever bother with unless all ammo was made that company alone.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I think standard vel. is fine at that short of a distance.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Lot of wear on your gun, and you don't really need them.. Get yourself some Hornady Critical Defense or other self defense round and call it good

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Pretty much every Taurus semi-auto is able to handle +P loads on a limited basis, but given the barrel length of the 809C you probably won't gain much benefit. The 9mm round in general travels plenty fast in standard pressures to cause its damage, and without at least a 5 inch barrel you won't gain much in that department in anything shorter.

Considering that standard pressure rounds average between 1000 and 1300 fps in muzzle velocity, I'm sure that round will find its intended target rather quickly within self defense ranges if you do your part and aim true. Most incidents don't occur outside of 7 yards, which is really a short distance to cover on foot in a confrontation. The extra bump in velocity won't do much that close, unless it's a Minnesota winter and you have to shoot through five layers of thermal lined clothing.

I'm more of the mind in using the mid to heavy weight projectiles versus higher pressured powder loads. Most any 9mm will push 115-124 gr. rounds with flawless operation over and over again; and some can be just as accurate and more effecitive with 147 gr. because the bump in mass is what gives you the real stopping power IMO. Some people go with a light grain in the 90 - 100 gr. range, but sometimes they won't cycle a pistol properly due to the lighter powder charge propelling the projectile to high velocities.

Self defense ammo is a really personal choice that comes down to the comfort and trust the operator will put in the weapon/ammo combination. Sometimes it's best to buy a few brands and try them out to find what works best, cleaning the gun between brands to see how they feel independently. That way you know what you want to carry, what you'll accept as a second option, and what you wouldn't ever bother with unless all ammo was made that company alone.
:rating09:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts