Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
There where actually a few P-51s flying around the house on Monday; pretty cool.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Nice !!I wonder could i get one for my Tahoe

jhp

·
Registered
24,937 Posts
Love them P51s with their big Brownings

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Massive fire power. Ran as fast as the German jets when diving, and more maneuverable.

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
Massive fire power. Ran as fast as the German jets when diving, and more maneuverable.
The P-51 had no chance of catching an Me-262 in level flight with both at full-throttle. If a Mustang pilot saw a Schwalbe several thousand feet below, on the same heading and maintaining a steady altitude, he stood a chance, in a dive, of catching the Hun. If the German sighted the P-51 early on, there's no way the Mustang could catch him. Most of the P-51 kills of 262s were made low, around German airfields, where the 262 had slowed down on final or had just taken off, and was extremely vulnerable. Full-on combat kills were rare, and mostly due to a lucky snap-shot or the German pilot having his head down and locked.

What stuns me about this video is, those were fully functional Brownings, and that was live ammo they were shooting. That raises some questions in my mind. 1. Does the owner of the plane have an ATF "tax stamp" for each of those guns? 2. I thought the .gov wouldn't allow a civilian-owned warplane to fly armed, even if it was 70 years old. 3. How big a smoking hole did that session put in someone's Visa card? And 4. WHO'S BOOTS DO I HAVE TO LICK TO FLY IT??

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I would pay good money to see Chuck Yeager, back in his prime during WWII, put a Mustang through its paces. He's one of the few that got lucky and caught a 262 down on the deck and smoked him.

I live about a mile or so off the north end of Addison airport, and they have a fantastic museum, the Cavanaugh Flight Museum, and has many flyable warbirds. This includes a Mustang or two, as well as the only remaining flying B-29 Superfortress, and it's awesome to watch (and especially hear) them when they are heading out to a show somewhere. The first Rangers game here this season, which happened to be on my birthday (April 2), the flyover was by "Fifi" (the B-29) and 3 or 4 other fighter warbirds. As awesome as it looked on TV, it was even better about 20 minutes later, when my top floor apartment started rumbling, and I stepped out on the patio in time to see Fifi, wheels and flaps down, on final about 300 feet over my apartment. Nothing like the sound of those old birds!

It's even more awesome when the wind is out of the north, and they are departing full power overhead. Seems the F-86 Sabre wasn't built with noise abatement in mind! :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts