Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking on the forum since buying my Raging Judge Magnum a few months ago and I appreciate all the Judge love. So many people love to bash these guns, but I'd guess 95% of them haven't experienced just how fun they are. Anyway, I've been shooting my 6.5" RJM with Federal JSP .45 Colt and Hornady .454 Casull (240gr and 260gr). I love how this thing feels (huge) and shoots. Shooting short tossed clays with 3" #6 shells is probably the most fun I've had with a handgun in a long time. That being said, I'm starting to think my cylinders might be slightly out of spec. Here's why:

1. Both the 240gr and 260gr Hornady brass has been sticking pretty badly in the cylinders. They have noticeable bulges in every case.

2. Every type of factory .45 Colt I've shot has had a lot of carbon/residue on the OUTSIDE of the cases. In hand loading, I understand this means the case isn't sealing properly against the cylinder and the load is too soft (not hot enough). Because it's happening with factory colt (not cowboy action loads), I get a bad feeling about the size of these cylinders.

Does anyone know what the specs on the cylinder size should be? Also, if it's they're supposed to be a little over-sized in order to fit the .410 shells or something like that, I'd like to know. I don't want to send my gun in for service/a replacement cylinder, but at this point I don't feel confident re-loading those bulged .454 cases. I'll get some pictures of the bulges tonight.

Thanks for the help!

:guns:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That doesn't sound normal. I would call CS and see what they have to tell you. By the way, neat idea with busting clays -- it would be a lot easier than pulling out my Winchester 1300! However, why did you have to give me another (practical!) reason why I need to purchase a Judge? :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Not the best picture but you can kinda see the bulge about 1/4" up the case. The second picture is one that actually split. My calipers say the cylinders are within SAAMI specs for 45 colt, which is a couple thousandths larger than the Casull.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Taurus today and it looks like I wont be busting any clays for a while (at least with the Judge). When I told the CS guy that I had a split case in the 30 or so Casull rounds that I've fired, he told me to send it in and let them look at it. Anyone have any idea how long their repairs/replacements usually take?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i finally got around to calling and getting the shipping label emailed to me. I kept forgetting to write down my serial number and bring it to work for the CS call to Taurus. Anyway, they told me 2-4 weeks for a turnaround time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I finally got it in the mail on Saturday and they received it Monday. Their website says "received" but that's about it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got the RJM back yesterday and the first thing I did was read the work order sheet. They had 3 issues and repairs.

1. Shells hard to extract.
-cylinder walls poorly polished. Polished cylinder walls.

2. Shaving lead in forcing cone.
-forcing cone adjusted.

3. Cylinder locking up.
-insufficient headspace. headspace adjusted

The second and third issues weren't ones I brought up. They found those on their own. I was disappointed to see their fix for the extraction was to polish the cylinders but if that fixes the problem, I'll be happy.

The leading issue surprised me since the only lead I've shot has been buckshot and I hadn't noticed any lead. Now that I think about it, if there was leading that I missed, it MIGHT have been causing higher than normal chamber pressures, leading to the difficult extraction. I'll try to post a range report this weekend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unsurprisingly, the 454 brass is still bulging. I'll shoot it over the 4th of July vacation, but then it's going back to Taurus again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts