Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just got my first iwb holster with a metal clip, its a pro carry hd from the holster store. all my others have had only plastic clips like the sof tuck. i can't figure which way this should go as the clip is extemely stout. it's easier to clip my pants but then the clip mars the side of my belt. i can get it over the belt but it's a pain to do so. how do ya'll wear yours?, and will the clip get easier?. thanks

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Often you need to go up one size in your pants.
You also may need to get a tougher belt. The thin dress belts ain't gonna do the job, and they will mar.
I usually wear mine in the small of my back, at the 5 o'clock position, but some people like it at 3 o'clock, or appendix carry at 1 o'clock.
Another personal preference.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
i just got my first iwb holster with a metal clip, its a pro carry hd from the holster store. all my others have had only plastic clips like the sof tuck. i can't figure which way this should go as the clip is extemely stout. it's easier to clip my pants but then the clip mars the side of my belt. i can get it over the belt but it's a pain to do so. how do ya'll wear yours?, and will the clip get easier?. thanks
Capture pro carry.JPG

This sort of clip goes over the belt.

Yes, it can be tough to get on, but you REALLY want the clip to keep the holster where it is; there's no time out if you pull the holster with the gun when you draw.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I agree with 777 - One of the most important things about wearing a holster is getting a substantial belt. Dress bests, canvas belts, etc.. will sag. Mt preferred carry is OWB appendix belt clip with a KORE Essentials EDC gun belt. No slip, comfortable, and no sag (other than my belly.) :)

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
It is impossible to answer your question without seeing the actual clip. There are a number of different type clips..."J" clips, "C" clips etc. Some are designed to go over the belt and some behind or under and some even through the clip. You might be trying to use your clip in the wrong way. I prefer ones that go over the belt to allow the belt to carry the weight instead of your waistband. As some have pointed out it's imperative that you have a strong gun belt when you carry.

Below are the clips I prefer. They go over the belt and waistband and hook under the belt so it doesn't pull off when you draw your weapon. Most but not all holsters allow you to change these clips if you don't like the one that came with it. I hope this helps!

black-plastic.jpg

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
It is impossible to answer your question without seeing the actual clip.

the holster pic of 230JHP is the one i have
That type of clip is not really deigned to go over the belt (or not designed to do it well) but I suppose you can force it. On that particular holster I don't think it can be changed out. I don't know if yours is the same in that regard. I do not like that type of clip at all.

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Super Moderator
37,282 Posts
My IWB holsters are mostly Alien Gear and only one, the first one I bought, has steel clips. I selected them because I thought that Kydex clips wouldn't hold up over time. I have proved that wrong and now would only buy the Kydex ones as the steel ones can scratch/tear upholstery/wood, etc.

I wear a Hank's belt with the clips over the belt. The steel being a spring steel probably will not stretch much over time.

Looking at the photo in post #2 it looks just like the Don Hume that I put on Pay it Forward here. That steel clip is designed to clip over the waistband and the belt, that's why it's about 3/16" wide to accommodate the belt thickness.

Reactions: 230JHP and jtg452

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I would not recommend A IWB holster with that clip from the Holster Store, is is worthless. It is far to weak, when you draw your pistol the holster comes with it. I have one from them for a 3" 1911, new and sits in a drawer because of weak clip. I only buy custom IWB holsters, I like leather with leather belt loops this type of holster stays put like it should.

·
Super Moderator
37,282 Posts
I would not recommend A IWB holster with that clip from the Holster Store, is is worthless. It is far to weak, when you draw your pistol the holster comes with it. I have one from them for a 3" 1911, new and sits in a drawer because of weak clip. I only buy custom IWB holsters, I like leather with leather belt loops this type of holster stays put like it should.
Some of that may come from the overly tight retention that new leather holsters mostly exhibit. I wrap my pistol on waxed paper, even a few layers thick, and jam it into the holster for overnight or even for a few days. Some people make the mistake of using a leather conditioner or saddle soap which can stretch the leather too much or make it limp.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Personally, I like the holster and clip in 230JHP's post. However, I prefer a forward cant, and a little deeper set inside the belt and pants.

The clip goes over the belt, and thus keeps the holster where it should be, even when you are drawing. The metal clip-types has served me well for decades, and they can be changed out if you wish. The part of the clip you see protruding from the leather pad (below the end of the clip) is a raised portion that keeps the clip properly positioned.

Flash

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Registered
71 Posts
Any iwb holster clip is designed to go over the belt. There is no retention security for a holster clipped to your pants only. In fact if there is a holster made anywhere in the world that is designed to only clip to pants it should be immediately thrown in the garbage.
You also need a GUN belt. Makes all the difference in the world.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
I gave up on clip based IWB holsters long ago. My first try was Remora, which I liked a lot. Now, all my guns have Sticky Holsters. A good gun belt keeps the Sticky Holster firmly in place, and because it uses pressure/friction, most of the weight of the gun disappears.

·
Super Moderator
37,282 Posts
Personally, I like the holster and clip in 230JHP's post. However, I prefer a forward cant, and a little deeper set inside the belt and pants.

The clip goes over the belt, and thus keeps the holster where it should be, even when you are drawing. The metal clip-types has served me well for decades, and they can be changed out if you wish. The part of the clip you see protruding from the leather pad (below the end of the clip) is a raised portion that keeps the clip properly positioned.

Flash
I'm with you on these features. The Dun Hume I had, for the PT 145, was a nice holster and looked like the photo up higher. I could even live with the preset depth of the holster/gun but with the single clip (no matter how wide) it would not hold a forward cant. I learned that the two clip styles while larger do that for me and that's why I went with the Alien Gear. It affords cant and depth adjustment.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
View attachment 432003

This sort of clip goes over the belt.

Yes, it can be tough to get on, but you REALLY want the clip to keep the holster where it is; there's no time out if you pull the holster with the gun when you draw.
I carry a holster similar to this with a metal clip over the belt at 5:00. The clip wore a hole in the seat back on our van... Wife not happy...

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I prefer the spring steel style clips like those in the pic on post #4.

There's a lip at the bottom that hooks under the belt when the clip is properly seated. Hook the clip over the belt properly and it's not going anywhere. There's also just enough of a rolled edge below it that you can easily remove the holster.

Call me old fashioned, but metal is better than plastic. I've never had one break in the 27 or so years that I've been using them. I even used one from a cheapo holster (the best part of the holster was the clip) as a money clip for several years.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
If you want to replace the metal clip with something else, start by soaking the holster to soften the leather. How much depends on the leather and how thick it is, so I can't offer a suggested time. The clip can be worked out of the wet leather, and something else inserted in its place. (I wouldn't do it, myself but if I did, that's how I would go about it).

Then, while the holster is wet, you can wrap your gun in a couple of layers of supermarket bags, then in a layer of packing tape and insert it into the holster to let the holster dry and take the set of the gun.

If you keep the clip, and don't want to/have too much trouble opening it enough to slip it over the belt, then just slip the clip over the waistband of your pants, and thread your belt through the clip as if it was a loop.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
If you keep the clip, and don't want to/have too much trouble opening it enough to slip it over the belt, then just slip the clip over the waistband of your pants, and thread your belt through the clip as if it was a loop.
I have to do that with a clip on single mag pouch from Bianchi that I use when I carry my Para. The clip's so stout that I can't just clip it onto my belt, I have to thread it on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts