Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all:
Me and a friend had a little talk with his brother (Glock lover) about cleaning and oiling guns (mostly pistols) me and my buddy said you really dont have to clean them all that much maybe after you go to the range thats ok but glock lover cleans his .40 cal almost once a week even when he hasnt fired one round from it and he oils it so hevily, he has hard head syndrome now i was looking online about harm done to a pistol exspecialy polymer handle pistols (if any harm is done) from over oiling and cleaning so my Q is does anyone now of any problems with over cleaning and oiling

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I don't know. I do know that it take an awful lot of scrubbing and solvent to get the crud out the barrell of my glock 30 after a range session. Sometimes I just have to give up and let it sit in the solvent for an evening and go back to it.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Over-cleaning? You can't over clean something :p

As far as the oil goes---Glocks prefer a few strategically placed drops of lubricant and that's it. So yes, you can over-oil.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i give my gun a once over when i shoot it.. what ever does'nt come off after about a dozen passes with a brass brush can just stay in there..

i'd oil the gun every few months if it's been sitting, if it's your carry pistol you would probably due well to check to make sure it's lubricated once a week.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree with joe sixpack. I have a buddy and he never cleans anything. I'm not kidding his 30/30, his 12 guage after a meat shoot nothing no cleaning. He did wipe his 30/30 down once when we when were in the woods and it started sprinkling. I think my buddy is at the far end of the spectrum and the Glock guy at the other end.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I don't think you can over clean, depends on what kind of cleaning.
I wipe down my guns every2 weeks or so very lightly..

I have read that to much oil can be a problem though :rolleyes:
A lot of oil can become gummy and collect grime and stuff over time.
Some oils are different than others, synthetic oils i am not sure about. They might work differently( i use them now :) )

few strategically placed drops of lubricant
NYPD is correct, that is good for all firearms

Here is a post started on this also, and has a good link also..
Might help you with your friend

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3597.0

Some more:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3127.0

·
Registered
212 Posts
The guy must have a lot of time on his hands if he cleans & oils every week even if it hasn't been fired. However, I won't judge him for how he spends his free time......I'm kind of jealous......It's difficult for me to find time to clean mine even when they do need it.

Have him pull out his Glock manual (that came with his pistol) and read it....we've established that he has the time.

It clearly states that you should NOT over-oil it. It even goes as far as to tell you how much oil to use and where to put it.

If he wants to keep to his routine, at least have him doing it right.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
over oiling usually will not be a problem.. except for places like the extractor which generall operates by hooking the rim of the brass.. if it's over lubed it could slide off before it pulls the empty brass out..

but other then that the only thing over oiling can do is attract dirt, unburnt powder while nasty looking i've heard is actually lubricating in nature since graphite is suppose to be in smokeless powder. i dont know if thats true or not though.

i use to over lube mine.. i admit it i can't help my self.. although i've since switched to slide glide which is a grease and stays put.. not yet tried it on the range but i like what i see.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
kingofwylietx said:
I have always heard that Glocks (in particular) are quite sensitive to being over-oiled.

Most other brands you can can almost soak in oil.
Glocks sure are EXTREMELY sensitive to too much lubricant. The only malfunctions I've ever had with my Glocks are when the NYPD first switched over to the Glock 19 from DA revolvers and I was dumb enough to soak that son of a b***h in lube. Poor gun didn't like that too much. I never did that again---guess what---in 15 years, zero malfunctions.

·
Registered
497 Posts
kingofwylietx said:
I have always heard that Glocks (in particular) are quite sensitive to being over-oiled.
Most other brands you can can almost soak in oil.
There is a difference between over cleaning, and over lubricating. I don't think it's possible to over clean, but it is definately possible to over lubricate. Most of the failures I've seen on the range with semi's is either too much oil, or no oil. Not only Glox, but any semi-auto only needs a very light coat of oil. It's not a good idea to soak any pistol in oil.

Have your friend read the owner's manual, or call Glock if he doesn't believe you and us.

GLOCK, Inc.
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
U.S.A.
Tel.: +1 770 - 432 1202
Fax: +1 770 - 433 8719

Hey KingOfWylieTx, I saw the movie "The Great Debaters" yesterday about your town. Is that a true story?

·
Registered
153 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
As far as the oil goes---.... yes, you can over-oil.
I have been taught to use oil sparingly as the extra oil will attract "crud".

·
Registered
212 Posts
pioneer461 said:

Hey KingOfWylieTx, I saw the movie "The Great Debaters" yesterday about your town. Is that a true story?

The story is true, however, I am in Wylie. Wiley College is in Marshall, TX.

This is what I Googled:

Wiley College:
Named in honor of Bishop Isaac T. Wiley, an outstanding minister, medical missionary and educator, Wiley College was founded during turbulent times for Blacks in America.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
actually there is a such thing as over cleaning.. cleaning ot often or to aggressively can actually wear the gun prematurely.. esp true if you are forced to clean from the muzzle end and do not use a muzzle guard.

·
Registered
63 Posts
joe sixpack said:
actually there is a such thing as over cleaning.. cleaning ot often or to aggressively
Unknown or barely known cleaners made by chemistry enthusiasts might have unexpected effects on the metal of the bore as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mr DBSound and Mr NYPD Az are correct. There may be only a few parts to a glock but its amazing how oil can seep down all through it. And Oil will actually collect more gunk than grease as it becomes almost tar like over time.

If Mr G' Lover were to do a complete breakdown instead of just field stripping I am betting he would think differently when he saw all the gunk build-up.

Mr Joebob hit the nail in regards to chem enthusiasts. From my years in the lab, I have seen, on a few occasions, where two or more mild solvents were mixed together with disasterous results. About 10 years ago I saw a gent mixed two seemingly harmless solvents together to "fast clean" a ZINC countertop. The result was some minor smoking and a very PITTED counter.

Imagine the long term results of "home chemisrty" or even commercially of someone with just enough education to be dangerous. The "latest and greatest" isnt always the most prudent.

Nothing wrong with trying new things... just be aware of what you mix them with or research a bit to see if any problems have arose on the components of your gun. Maybe its fine with steel ( or just fine over the short term) but it could destroy poly or nylon etc.

The moral- Be vewy vewy careful what you mix together or it may not be the wabbit that ends up dead.

Respectfully- Brizz

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've always been fanatical about cleaning my guns, and then I realized looking at all the rental guns on the wall at the range that they look like they've never been cleaned!
Now, I'm going to adopt the philosophy of "as needed".
I'm just gonna run a boresnake thru, give a quick brush and wipe-down in between serious cleanings.

·
22,018 Posts
My dad was big on keeping the guns clean. If you took the shotgun outside you cleaned it when you put it up. I rarely let my pistols go more than 2 matches or practices without cleaning them. I am sure they can survive with less cleaning but I enjoy it. It also gives me better chance of finding a problem that could cause trouble during a match.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts