Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
23,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Outstanding 738 mod!

I used to have a .25 Raven (yeah, I don't wanna hear it), but that was ages ago and I never shot it much before I.... what the heck did I do with that thing? Anyway, back to the point.

The TCP is the first really small .380 I've ever had/shot/stuffed into a back pocket. The first time I fired it, it had so much flip to it that the molding line on the inside of the triggerguard abraded the skin on the bottom side of my trigger finger. Snappy. So I smoothed the line down with my pocket knife, and held it with an even firmer grip. It was still harsh; the fun was all used up after about 50 rounds.

After some pondering, I decided that improving my grip on the pistol would be a good thing in every way. There are grip kits that you can buy on line, but they cover more of the grip than I wanted. I figured grip tape on the sides (large flats) of the grip would chew up the inside of the pants pockets where this pistol lives. I wanted to use the absolute minimum amount of grip enhancer. So I looked around and found some grip tape at a hardware store; the stuff that you put on ladder rungs or skateboarders put on their skateboards. Cost me about $5 for a couple of feet; I don't remember exactly, but it was trivial. I smoothed down the frontstrap a bit, and mounted the tape using the adhesive that the manufacturer puts on the back. I put a little on the magazine as well. I thought I might need some on the backstrap too, but I decided to take it one step at a time. Don't add what isn't necessary. After the adhesive set, I hit the tape with a smooth stone (not a sharpening stone - just a garden variety pebble) to take the sharpest tips off of the sandpaperish material.

I shot it today for the first time after adding the tape. I've got to tell you, it's a huge improvement! The pistol is locked in place in my hand, it's much more controlled, and it's a lot more fun to shoot. The difference is huge.

Here's what I added:

I love this pistol even more.

·
23,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I considered something like that, but I didn't want to make the pistol any thicker.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
The Hogue Handall and Handall Jr. are the ones that add thickness, The Pachmayr's are kind of like two full wraps of say cloth tape around the grip.

·
23,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't have any effect on the width View attachment 63696
I don't see how you can say that. Anything that goes all the way around the grip, any sleeve, is going to make the grip thicker. Maybe it's just two wraps of cloth, but that's extra thickness. 1/8" extra thickness is more than I'm willing to add. Right now, the pistol is very flat, and that's a big part of the appeal for how I carry it. Can someone post a view from the backstrap with one of these grips?

What I've done works for me, without adding any thickness at all. None. And the improvement in controlability is fantastic. I'm not saying you all are wrong to use those grips, I'm just saying that for me, the grip tape on the frontstrap was perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts