Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you believe what you read, some guns, even cheap ones, shoot well right out of the box, and some, even expensive customs need a few hundred rounds through them before they shoot their best.

Has anybody ever figured out why?

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My best guess based on personal observations, would be that regardless of quality control, all firearms have different tolerances, even with in the same model on any given day. Climate and weather can effect even a brand new firearm. And possibly some employees at these firearms factory's have different abilities, attitudes and moods while working. Any of the reasons I have listed could possibly effect the way a firearm functions out of the box.

As for break-in periods... Any part could have an imperfection such as a burr, out of round, not perfectly straight, etc. and once all these minor but safe and workable, often normal imperfections (providing they are with-in tolerances) sometimes need a bit of time and motion to work into a comfortable fit. This is actually true with nearly anything that requires movement to function together.

I recently purchased a Remington M770 bolt action rifle, nice gun but the action was stiff and not terrible smooth out of the box. 60 rounds later it was smooth as glass, later of course I disassembled and did an action job to make it even better. Seems nearly anything mechanical needs a bit of breaking in :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DRAEGER said:
And possibly some employees at these firearms factory's have different abilities, attitudes and moods while working.
Hadn't thought of that but... I used to work at the main Little Debbie plant. One day I saw a janitor pushing a huge dust mop along the floor beside a conveyor belt of oatmeal cream pies. She stopped, shook the mop out - over the goodies - then went on about her business. Attitude? I'd say so.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'm glad that I don't eat the oatmeal creme pies but I'd guess that the same thing happens to the other product lines. But it wouldn't surprise me if similar things happen at many food factories. Yes, there are things that we don't want to know.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Think about it, your wife is rag'n on you, your kids are a pain, your boss just wrote you up for not doing your job (his way) and you feel a bit angry.... what would you do to blow off steam? I am guessing customer statisfaction of your comapnies product is not your prime concern in life at this time :'(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mannnnnnnn I didnt need to hear that !!! I just finished a box of mopped or dropped little debbies oatmeal cookies.. No Morre for me lol

·
Registered
308 Posts
DRAEGER said:
Think about it, your wife is rag'n on you, your kids are a pain, your boss just wrote you up for not doing your job (his way) and you feel a bit angry.... what would you do to blow off steam? I am guessing customer statisfaction of your comapnies product is not your prime concern in life at this time :'(
LOL....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts