Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We looked at and compared some different snubbies to replace a well used RG .38 Spl and decided the Taurus 605 SS was the right choice. After the required 10 day wait, it came home with me and was well received by my wife, the primary shooter. She's had the RG for 40 yrs. and it's showing it's age. There's a range day in the near future and I may polish out the matte finish.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Congrats on your new revolver! I hope it serves you and the Mrs. well. Oh and...

:nopics:

We do tend to be photo-centric here! :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
We looked at and compared some different snubbies to replace a well used RG .38 Spl and decided the Taurus 605 SS was the right choice. After the required 10 day wait, it came home with me and was well received by my wife, the primary shooter. She's had the RG for 40 yrs. and it's showing it's age. There's a range day in the near future and I may polish out the matte finish.
Congrats on picking up a nice looking Taurus revolver. Not familiar with the Rohm revolvers so can't comment on whether or not you "upgraded" or just opted for more fire power with .357Mag. RE: your "I may polish out the matte finish" comment, I admit that when I read that someone wants to do that, I give it some thought RE: my Taurus 66 in SS matte. Usually tho, I go lie down until those thoughts go away;). I really like that matte SS look! I have a S&W 66 with a polished SS finish and while it's a beautiful firearm, I think it would be even more so with a matte finish. As with many things tho, each to their own. With non-SS firearms, I really like the polished blued look. I think the black matte finish (on a revolver at least) is an abomination!! A few of my auto-loaders have that finish and while tolerable, are kinda ugly. Since you mentioned that your wife would be the primary shooter, I'd say run it by her before you do anything :). I've found that's a smart think to do with many things :rolleyes:.
Flex

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Excellent judgement on the selection of the SS 605. I rely on mine and it has never let me down. I have to add though, the matte finish is still on my gun and I DO NOT regret polishing it to a high sheen. YMMV. Welcome to Taurus Armed from the Mid-South!!!!

beale_street-2016-getty.jpg

·
Registered
848 Posts
A 10 Day wait. WOW ! What state is that? Here in Texas if you have a carry license we walk in buy the firearm and walk out with it.
I would hate to know I had to wait 10 days.

The 605ss2 is a very good choice, Congratulations. Kudos on polishing out the matte finish. I like that.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Didn't think the term "RG" and "well used" could be used together. RG was not known for great quality.

Congrats on the new revolver.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Super Moderator
35,382 Posts
Congrats on picking up a nice looking Taurus revolver. Not familiar with the Rohm revolvers so can't comment on whether or not you "upgraded" or just opted for more fire power with .357Mag. RE: your "I may polish out the matte finish" comment, I admit that when I read that someone wants to do that, I give it some thought RE: my Taurus 66 in SS matte. Usually tho, I go lie down until those thoughts go away;). I really like that matte SS look! I have a S&W 66 with a polished SS finish and while it's a beautiful firearm, I think it would be even more so with a matte finish. As with many things tho, each to their own. With non-SS firearms, I really like the polished blued look. I think the black matte finish (on a revolver at least) is an abomination!! A few of my auto-loaders have that finish and while tolerable, are kinda ugly. Since you mentioned that your wife would be the primary shooter, I'd say run it by her before you do anything :). I've found that's a smart think to do with many things :rolleyes:.
Flex
Oh, believe me, he upgraded. :rofl:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RG's have a reputation as being cheap, poorly made handguns. And for the most part, I believe it's earned. They started making starter guns, (for races, not beginner guns) and evolved from there. Sometime in the early 1970's, due to import regulations they moved to FL and added the models 31 and 38 to the lineup. IMHO, these two models are not bad, if you have to own an RG, these would be my choice. That said, our mod. 31 is getting long in the tooth, still shoots well but parts are getting hard to find so we decided to retire it while it's still in serviceable condition. The 605 weighs in 2oz. less and fits her hand better, is more comfortable. We'll have the opportunity to shoot both side by side next week at the club so I'll post up opinions then.
The 10 day waiting period is just part of it, we can no longer buy ammo on line, it has to be a face to face transaction, can't bring ammo across state lines (in from another state) a 10 round mag is all that's allowed. And if that isn't enough, Jan. 1st, 2019, all ammo purchased will require the sales to recorded. If you haven't guessed by now, this would be CA.

·
Super Moderator
35,382 Posts
The RG I bought as a broke student for 20 bucks brand new on sale at Gibson's Discount in Clute, Texas, was so poorly timed, it fired about 50 percent of the time when the trigger was pulled. Whadda piece a JUNK! I had a RG26, a semi auto .25ACP, that was reliable if less than stellar accurate. :D I bought both of these jewels of the gun makers art when I was a broke student. The .25 was 50 bucks brand new at the same Gibson's a few years after buying the .22 revolver. Yeah, I didn't learn my lesson. :rofl: BUT, the gun did go bang every time, at least. Where the bullet went I rarely knew.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts