Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an Otis all gun cleaning kit for around 50 bucks at sportsman's warehouse. As some of you may know I recently had a manic cleaning attack after I realized some of my guns were pitting inside the barrel due to me just relying on boresnakes and just a little solvent. So after some major purchases of base chemicals to try out and your basic cleaning rods with several different bore brushes and jags for the myriad of calibers I own, my office\gun room is now full of guns, knives, and a heap of supplies to feed and clean the beasts. So I figured I would try one more little gimmick and see if it works.
The Rundown:

This kit comes with a pouch about the size of your fist containing, acording to the provided literature, everything you need to clean any gun you own. Inside were a long steel cable with threads on both ends a short steel cable of the same configuration, and a cable meant for .17 caliber guns. It also was provided with brushes for .17 to .44 caliber guns with a brush also for 20 and 12 gauge shotguns. It had the eyelets for patches and an adapter to attach the .17 caliber and two ends to supposed aid in removing stuck cartridges. A few special patches, bore light type object, a tube of otis cleaner, a pick, and a instruction cd complete the kit.

I used the kit to clean my new acquisition, a ruger sp-101 jsut to test to see what the hype was all about and this is what went down: Following the destructions I ran a patch through with the small cable with the porvided cleaner. The ruger had been test fired at factory, and they send it out uncleaned. The bullet they used was jacketed so there was copper fouling. The patch can out very dirty, I let it set then ran a bruch through like the video, and then I ran a dry patch.

The result: While the kit was very handy the otis cleaner did nothing to remove the copper fouling, I used break free foaming bore cleaner to remove the copper. I will say that the pull through concept works well, but there is no way to push a jag through, which is a good way to clean the barrel. I will regulate this thing for deer camp, and for trips to the range, but I will be bringing along some bore cleaner, and clp to lube as well. For 50 bucks, it is hard to recomend, if the price came down, or you plan to live in the field and space is a precious commodity, you would be hard pressed to find something else to clean your guns.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Performing a bit of thread necromancy because I didn't want to start a whole new thread if one existed to mention this thing, but I did want to say that the price has come down some, and that I'd highly recommend the $25 Otis 'Handgun Cleaning Kit' to the folks here. The pull-through design is great because you can't really damage the muzzle/crown and the funky patches can easily be fabbed up from regular square .38-.45 patches and a pair of scissors. I just use it with regular patches with an off-center hole cut in them and Hoppe's #9 and it works well enough that I haven't used an actual rod to clean my handguns in some time.

·
Super Moderator
21,707 Posts
I always wondered about that thing if it was worth it or not thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I think i`ll just stick to my old cleaning kits. They have served me well for more than 35 years.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I finally spent the time to get an Otis kit mounted onto my AR. Since I've got a collapsible stock I had to go with the Pistol Grip kit. The kit is nicely compact, too bad I wasn't able to use their actual attachment system, my grip was too tight at the mounting end. Fortunately I had a trapdoor style grip on hand (the original idea for mounting the kit) and with a little cutting and filing was able to make the thing fit. I just didn't feel right without a cleaning kit of some sort attached to my rifle. I do wish I had a place to put a small bottle of CLP but I'm still working on that.

Steelheart

·
22,058 Posts
I have a small tool box with a collection of stuff from several cheap cleaning
kits. I end up using just a couple of cleaners and lubes. If I dig a little while
I can get matching rods to clean the barrels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts