Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've shot my OSS in three USPSA matches so far with the only malfunction being a self-inflicted FTE. I was shooting through a window and the slide drug the top of the window frame causing it not to fully reciprocate. Anyway, prior to my last match I was going to holster the pistol and I noticed the guide rod was protruding about .25" out of the front of the slide. I stripped it and found that the threaded end cap had backed out of the guide rod body allowing it to get longer. I compressed the spring and tightened the cap. It was then flush with the slide and all was well for the match. Thankfully I saw it because I have a feeling that if it fully unscrewed the spring would be trashed and the rod would have probably gone down range.

I was wondering if this had happened to anybody else, and if it would be ok to use a little loctite on those threads?

·
Administrator
17,826 Posts
A little Blue Loctite won't hurt anything. Have not had this issue with my .45 24/7 OSS.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
At a steel match today a guy launched his 24/7 guide rod on the first shot. Couldn't strip the gun as the take down lever was jambed.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
It happened on my OSS - one time. I noticed it protruding a little on a cleaning and I backed the end cap off a little more to expose the threads. A quick spray of the threads with some break free non-clorinated break cleaner and a drop of lock-tite followed and then I screwed the two back together as tight as I could get it. Haven't had the problem since. Easy fix, but do clean the threads first, to get the best results from the lock-tite.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Wow! Good info! I will have to check mine!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts