Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should the original Taurus Preservative lube or grease be removed and replaced with normal gun lube or grease on my Stainless Steel Judge and .357 7 shot Revolver?

The original grease in the cylinder smells a bit like Cosmoline on my old Russian WWII Rifles.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I cleaned the original grease out of mine and simply replaced it with a light coat of Remoil and they both work just fine. The original "grease" is a preservative and really is not a lubricant.

Reactions: RevolverFan

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree with Slakev. I think the oil they ship them in isn't really meant to lubricate. That being said, it wont matter as much on a revolver as it would on a semi-automatic pistol.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
General rule, clean any gun that's new to you. Whether it's new or gently used, i have to personally know that nothing foreign is floating around inside my weapon. That stuff they pack it in can gel and sometimes glaze onto parts when the gun is shot, like firing pin assembly parts or down in the trigger group. They also attract powder residue like a magnet, and it can be a chore to scrub out glazed powder that just won't come clean. My usual regiment is to clean it, lube it, let it sit for a day, clean and lube it again. It hasn't failed me yet, and neither have any of my gun.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Most Taurus guns are shipped via sea transport, from warehouses that may, or may not, be temperature controlled at dock side. They receive a preservative to protect them inside and out. Clean it thoroughly. It has a waxy property, and will quickly turn into a glazed consistency in the presence of heat and pressure.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It took 2 good cleanings to get that stuff out of the center hole the extractor goes through. Glad I found this site so I could figure out how to take the cylinder off. Made cleaning much easier and now the cylinder spins nicely.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Good advice all. Always give your new handgun a good cleaning with solvent to get rid of the factory muck. Then apply lube to all of the normal wear/contact points of the firearm. I use Outers solvent to break down the gunk, and then I lube using Steeltech WeaponShield for lubricant.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts