·
Registered
31,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it isn't even 4 wheel drive!

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
There were two major things that made that a success: 1) the rear end was locked so both wheels were turning (drive power) together. 2) It had a low speed gear ratio in the differential coupled with a low first gear in the transmission. It was like putting a true 4 wheel drive in 4 wheel low. ....Did you know that the majority of 4 wheel drives are not true 4 wheel drive. They are what is called "dog leg" 4 wheel drive. When placed in 4 wheel drive, only one wheel is engaged on the front and one engaged in the back, opposite of the front one. to get true 4 wheel drive, the front and rear differential must have lockers to lock both wheels to the drive shafts, front and back. If you do not have an electric, air, or a limited slip locker, you do not have true 4 wheel drive.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I don't know about the Ford and Chevy's out there but my Dodge 2500 Ram spins all four wheels if 4WD is locked in.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I don't know about the Ford and Chevy's out there but my Dodge 2500 Ram spins all four wheels if 4WD is locked in.
What year is it and do you have to get out and lock the hubs? If you do not have to lock the hubs, it must have a limited slip differential front and back. Jack the rear end up and leave it out of 4 WD and turn one wheel by hand and see if the other wheel turns in the same direction. If it does, you have a limited slip locker and do the same with the front. If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction or not at all, you do not have limited slip lockers and therefore do not have true 4WD.

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
My truck has 4 wheels and I can drive it.
That's good enough for me.:tongue:

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
What year is it and do you have to get out and lock the hubs? If you do not have to lock the hubs, it must have a limited slip differential front and back. Jack the rear end up and leave it out of 4 WD and turn one wheel by hand and see if the other wheel turns in the same direction. If it does, you have a limited slip locker and do the same with the front. If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction or not at all, you do not have limited slip lockers and therefore do not have true 4WD.

2003 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed with 5.9 Turbo Diesel, 6 speed manual with 4x4 shift stick beside gear stick. I don't know if it's true 4 wheel drive but if I put my foot in it it will dig 4 holes.

Reactions: Stugots

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I made my jeep a true 4 wheel drive while living in the PRK south. It was great there but when I moved here to fungus corners it sucked royally. All for wheels locked together and turning at the same speed on snow and ice means that 3 of the 4 are spinning without traction when you turn.
I had a Detroit soft locker in the rear and a lock right in the front.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Same as all my previous 4 wheel drives>: Stomp the gas and all 4 throw dirt. mud , sand, etc at you, but once it levels off two wheels catty-corner from each other disengage.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Same as all my previous 4 wheel drives>: Stomp the gas and all 4 throw dirt. mud , sand, etc at you, but once it levels off two wheels catty-corner from each other disengage.
That's kind of what I figured because I have driven it on ice and snow quite a lot and I know it is hard to keep a full time 4WD in a straight line at speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts