Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had such a hard time ordering a part for anything as I am with Taurus.after 2 yrs.trying to get a spare slide for my TCP.they are still not available.and you can't just order and get on a "back order" list,you have to just keep calling to check availability.CRAZY!

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
It must be just me, but If I had a need for a slide (fitted to the frame), I would want someone to do it that could be considered a gunsmith, or at least familiar with fitting parts.

You might be ableto do that, however, CS does not know you or me from a fence post. and from what I understand, guns are made as a package deal in most cases. Slide, frame, barrel are serialized at least alike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The TCP is an inexpensive,mass produced,pistol.I doubt that there is a lot of "gunsmith fitting" of parts.I've had mine completely disassembled,trust me they're pretty rough.regardless of this,I'm not trying to debate what can, or can not be replaced be the end user.I'm commenting on Taurus's parts ordering process.

·
Super Moderator
35,578 Posts
Liability and Lawyers is how we got here, combined with a lot of people who simply cannot take personal responsibility and Juries of their peers who believe the same way.

If I am selling gun parts in the USA and wish to keep doing so, I would be very selective about what I sell also.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Though I feel your frustration on the issue, the TCP is unlike the 1911 which has dozens of vendors willing to sell slides or frames.

A slide is a major firearm part not akin to firing pins, springs, screw etc.

One less TCP slide is one less of these popular guns that don't get sold.

I'm sure this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but "may" be an explanation as to why they seem uncooperative.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
One less TCP slide is one less of these popular guns that don't get sold.

I'm sure this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but "may" be an explanation as to why they seem uncooperative.
That is definitely true. Also, I doubt they're going to make a special shipment of just a single slide extra without a matching lower for it from Brazil. Because they're really pushing the TCP's out to the street right now, there really isn't room in production for 'extras' at the moment. Maybe later in the year possibly, but given that Taurus seems to be streamlining the entire production line as much as possible, the 738 probably won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a complaint I hear from a lot of people, why I can’t order parts?
I 100% agree with them, don’t take me wrong I like Taurus life time warranty, But sometimes it would be easier and cheaper to be able to just order a part. Than spend the money and the time on shipping the gun in to Taurus to be fixed.
And I thank we all would hear a lot less Taurus bashing if people could just fix the gun them self.
This is why the only Taurus’s I have is my pt92 and my pt1911 I can get parts all most anywhere.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
There are a few differn't perspectives to look at here. Taurus International in Miami has established intricate policies and procedures as part of a complex business structure. To change a single policy or procedure may effect many different operational processes and departments. Many of their revenue streams are also effected by these processes. Prior to changing the way they do business they will have to consider a major paradigm shift and corporate restructuring. They may indeed be planning on changing some things however, day to day operations cannot be compromised and must continue, so maintaining a status quo is imperative.

I came to this conclusion with my Taurus firearms (2). I stay within their warranty terms. After inspection(best I can) taking delivery, shortly after purchase, I make sure that the firearm is functioning properly. If it is not, I send it back to them as many times as I need to until I am satisfied, or the firearm is replaced. If this takes no trips to Miami or 30 I will follow protocol. In doing so they can document the quality of the firearm, the effectiveness of their warranty process and if their policies and procedures are no longer cost effective: if overhead for the logistics of shipping and then servicing the same gun over and over, kills their profit margin on that firearm. That is on them. As long as it is not money out of my pocket, the firearm still maintains its price point on my end.

When one purchases products from a company they have also purchased intangible services if there is a warranty included and replacement parts available. Especially if those replacement parts are exclusive of the manufacturer. Not only have you purchased a Taurus fire arm you have purchased their corporate culture, policies and procedures. The great thing about capitalism is there is also a choice. If one is not happy with Taurus one can move on to another manufacturer (this is a general statement not directed at the OP).

·
Registered
27 Posts
My "complaint" is the lack of aftermarket parts for my 945, as well as my PT908. I just sent back the second set of 945 sights because they will not fit my weapon (recent thread "Sights for PT945"). Also, the price for extra mags for this pistol is ridiculous. I guess we can't blame Taurus for other companies' lack of interest in outfitting Taurus' weapons, but it IS frustratining nonetheless.

Thank you doctor, I feel better now!

John

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I started doing more research in regards to this prior to purchasing firearms. For example. I wanted a striker fire 9mm full frame semi auto that felt good in the hand, use for home protection, reliable and possibly use for competing with, not to obtrusive for carry. It was down to the Glock 17 or the Walther PPQ. The Walther actually had a better feel in the hand and sweet, sweet trigger, great shooter. HOWEVER, the Walther had low parts availability, low to no after market parts, expensive accessories. Of course I went with the Glock and haven't had any regrets. This being said the Walther may be a tremendous piece, however, parts availability, mods, affordable accessories were a huge selling point for me.

I impulse purchased a Taurus 617. Parts are close to impossible to get and a simple holster can be a PITA. My second Taurus revolver was a M85, not my #1 pick. I got it becuase sure I liked it, but also parts are very easy to find and accessories are abundant since it is Tauruses "bread and butter" revolver. I did my research the second time around. Lets face it if your conservative keeping up with a fire arms hobby gets expensive fast, so you got to do your research. That's my take anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
To me the lack of parts and lack of aftermarket, Is what is keeping a lot of people from buying Taurus handguns.
It’s like me I was looking for a single stack 9mm over Christmas time. It came down to the Taurus 709 and the Ruger LC9. Well I got the RugerLC9 reason easy access to parts and cost of clips. And aftermarket is all ready making parts for the LC9.

Ruger SR9, Galloway Precision Asheville, NC Home

1 - 12 of 12 Posts