Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im ordering a new gun for my wife although Ill use it the most. The question is will there be issues orering it on line in my name (due to using my credit card) but having the FFL register it to her? This is my first online gun order and want to make sure its all good.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Doesn't sound like there would be but I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the subject then I will be along shortly. You could always call the company you are thinking about buying the gun from and ask them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you sure it has to be registered in Pa? I doesn't matter who ordered it or paid for it, as long as your wife fills out the 4473 you should be good.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant as far as the transfer I guess not really register here.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plus I want the NRA membership in my name!! lol

·
Registered
855 Posts
Ask the dealer who you'll have the firearm sent you about your states "gift" laws.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I know I have to order it in my name due to paying with my credit card. I just wasnt sure about doing the 4473 in her name or if it had to be in mine as well due to ordering in my name.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Probably should be in your name considering that's the name on the purchase order. Is there a reason it HAS to be run through on her name, because if it's for record related reasons, you'll potentially be getting her in a ton of trouble if the BATF notices having different names on the purchase order and NICS check.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its going in her name as its a christmas gift for her. But with us having 9mo old twins she wont get to go shoot as much as I do so I will use it as a back up. I guess I could order in her name and send a money order too if theres gonna be issues.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Well the reason i say that is because i've seen larger retailers force people into doing the paperwork in the purchasers name only. However, even if you do so there's no real registration here in PA. When a LEO runs your CCW permit, it's not gun specific and doesn't limit you to any number of concealed weapons. I would personally locate an FFL first with reasonable transfer rates and ask about running everything through under her name if you really want to do that, but you can always give it to her as a gift in PA with no need to go to an FFL to transfer. Face to face sale is still fully legal here too, so even if you made her give you a single dollar bill or made a 'trade' by exchanging gifts, you're no worse for wear in the eyes of the state. As for how the NRA membership goes, it's just a card you fill out and send in, so you could put the kids names on it if you felt so inclined.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
The subject of a "Straw Purchase" is enough to make most FFL agents want to run....it is not worth loosing there FFL over to them. You could however simply order it, transfer it into your name and gift it to her.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got it figured out and the gun is ordered and on its way. Thanks for the replies!!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I got it figured out and the gun is ordered and on its way. Thanks for the replies!!
Please advise how it worked out. I was under the impression that a) the seller's only concern was getting payment, as they don't run the NICS, and b) regardless of who did the 4473, a 'transfer' within the family was OK. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been told it only matters whose name the 4473 is filled out in. I was with my wife when she picked out a gun she filled out the 4473 and I paid with my cc but of course that was not an online order.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
After talking to the supplier I just simply put the order in her name but was able to still use my card being her husband and when the gun arrives she will do the 4473.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it is against federal law to buy a gun for someone else. Ask your LGS
If that were the case then I guess a ton of parents and grandparents including mine should be in jail for buying relatives (kids) guns.

·
Banned
893 Posts
If that were the case then I guess a ton of parents and grandparents including mine should be in jail for buying relatives (kids) guns.
it's kind of like a FBI wanted fugitive, they are not going to drop everything just to look for him, he will show up sooner or later, if you don't believe that it is a law do some research, I did.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts