Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after listening to the reports and thinking about "personalizing" one of these, I ordered one from Bud's Gun Shop for $479.99... plus 3% surcharge for credit card and $25 shipping... $519.39. I will pay the FFL dealer $20 for the paper work and since there's no tax... I'm out the door at $539.39.

I'm looking forward to doing some "bling" work on the gun... I've decided that the real attraction of the 1911 is that most any idiot can break them down to the frame (remember these were designed to be maintained by a GI in a foxhole).

I'll be looking forward to next weekend to see if I've got as good a one as those of you who have written about.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Way to go, Cimarron. I am still holding out for the stainless models, if
they ever come out with them! Looking forward to your full report,
after you do your maiden shooting. ;D ;D

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I broke down and bought a PT1911 today too -- apparently they're selling like hotcakes from what the owner of this particular shop I go to said. They also said they're having a hard time not only keeping them due to demand, but that apparently Taurus and Springfield (in regards to their 1911s being assembled in Brazil from what I've been told) are having a hard time getting steel at the moment. I suppose as with anything, you take it with a grain of salt. :)

I haven't gotten to take it out yet to shoot but intend on it in the near future.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ordered mine yesterday as well. Guy said "who knows" on availability. I can be patient.

Plan to use it to compete ISPC Single Stack next year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh, anyone have a good lead on extra mags for the PT1911? I need 8 rounders, preferably with mag bumpers on the bottom. I need 4 or 5 to go with the PT1911 when it eventually arrives.

Thanks!

·
32,661 Posts
www.cheaperthandirt.com/searches.asp and www.mec-gar.com might be able to help you out.

One caveat onthe Mec-gar mags. They do not have PT1911 mags per se, but they do have 1911 mags with the base pads that might fit. Since most 1911 mags are interchangeable under most, but not all conditions, giving them a call would be in order.
Adding one additional place to get these. www.ammodepot.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a hard time getting one here in Oklahoma, finially got mine fot $570 OTD with 2 sets of grips. I never liked 1911's because of my army experiance with wore out 1911's, but I really Love my PT 1911............

·
Registered
5 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
www.cheaperthandirt.com/searches.asp and www.mec-gar.com might be able to help you out.

One caveat onthe Mec-gar mags. They do not have PT1911 mags per se, but they do have 1911 mags with the base pads that might fit. Since most 1911 mags are interchangeable under most, but not all conditions, giving them a call would be in order.
Adding one additional place to get these. www.ammodepot.com
Stay away from the MEC-GARs in the PT1911s. I have two magazines from them currently and neither will fit right in, the mag release has to be depressed using either my blued or nickle mecgars. Suppose I should try a couple of my mil-surps in this thing too.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
techres said:
Oh, anyone have a good lead on extra mags for the PT1911? I need 8 rounders, preferably with mag bumpers on the bottom. I need 4 or 5 to go with the PT1911 when it eventually arrives.

Thanks!
I love the KimPro Tac-mags from Kimber. I also picked up what appears to be an ACT/Novak mag from a gun show last weekend. Both are 8-rounders.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Administrator
18,118 Posts
Congratulations to Cimarron and Taurus_9mm on their new PT1911's! They sell so well up here that they cannot be kept in stock! One of our local Gun Dealers bought one for himself, and could of sold it 4 times that week but kept it for himself, anyways. He took orders, instead!

As for the Brazilians running out of Iron/Steel, I sort of wonder about that one, as they have their own mines. However, as the Metal Commodities are in huge demand, due to China and India's Manufacturing Growth, that might be plausible.

As for magazines, I've had no trouble with Mec-Gar 8 and 10 rounders in my 1911 (Colt). The Chip McCormick Magazines are OK. Most all of the serious Match or IPSC shooters in my area use Wilson Combat 8 or 10 round magazines. I like Wilson, Chip McCormick, and King's GunWorks 1911 Parts for customizing.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Thank you very much jwc007. :D It seems more and more people are acquiring the PT1911s - both those who are established Taurus 'fans' like us -- and those who perhaps have read the overwhelmingly positive written reviews, as well as by word-of-mouth. :)

Taurus has a huge winner on their hands with the PT1911s. Now if they'd just release the stainless versions as well as the 9mm & .40 S&W versions. :D

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I had the chance to run 3 quick magazines through the PT1911 earlier and one word springs to mind: Impressive!

The PT92 is my favorite handgun though the PT1911 seemingly wants to present a bit of a challenge to the 92's favored status. I suppose a little sibling rivalry never hurt a family, eh? :D

·
Administrator
18,118 Posts
I have the same problem when it comes to my PT92 versus my .45 Witnesses (different family).

It's easily solved as there will be times you want to shoot a .45 and the times you want to shoot a 9mm. Sometimes it's just a matter of what ammunition you happen to have on hand.

There is room for both!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I keep my options diversified...

.45 acp
PT145
PT1911

.40 S&W
FN Hi-Power

9mm
Star BM

.380 acp
Bersa Thunder

.22LR
American Arms/Erma

But since I reload the .45 acp, the 40S&W and the .380 acp, I can shoot them for less than the 9mm... and I have become adicted to the .45 acp

1 - 20 of 20 Posts