Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am going back into the OWB Kydex holster world. I tried it before and had a couple bad ones that did not fit me and were very uncomfortable. I have been carrying IWB for almost 5 years no. Occasional leather OWB when I go fishing or hunting.

But I think I may have found one I can work with. Raw Dog Tactical has there OWB rigs on sale for 29.99 and I just couldn't pass it up. Might as well try the mag carrier to go with it. So a holster and mag carrier for a hair over 50 bucks shipped to my house. I like the small footprint and low profile of the holster. I'm a little iffy on the belt attachment method but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I plan on molding the trigger guard for a more click type fit if it does not retain in that method.

I plan on carrying my Springfield XDS. I own both a 4.0 9mm and a 3.3 45acp so I ordered the 4" barrel holster so I can carry either one.

I'll check back with pictures and a review next week.

·
Administrator
36,043 Posts
I just bought OWB also, but I went leather belt slide from Versacarry. I bought one for my Sccy and my LCP. I was extremely impressed with the fit and comfort and so far they seem to be holding up well. View attachment 361674

I have a Versacarry for my 1911 Officer and it's really comfortable.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have owned a holster like that before and I just done like the style or retention. I don't like a holster that can push my gun up and out if I happen to fall or sit down near a arm rest or something like that. And by design they never ride high enough. For quick range use or fartin around the property maybe I would get one to carry various guns but for my daily carry rotation I'll stick with custom made holsters for one gun.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Can we get a link to exactly what you ordered?

I have the leather type kind of like what was posted earlier and love it. It holds my PT840C nicely if my pants are around my waist or my ankles (to address you concerns of dropping a gun in public :D )

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It's hard to tell, but it looks like this is a hybrid holster. I don't personally care for these clips for OWB use anyway, but if they are only attached to the leather I would be very concerned about their durability. I would think they would start to sag quickly with a relatively heavy gun. I hope I'm wrong and the holster works great for you.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I finally got the holster and mag carrier combo in yesterday.

I'll have to admit I was pretty disappointed in the quality and design of the holster and mag carrier. The Kydex is formed decently but it is pretty thin and flimsy. Must be .060".

The mag carrier is a joke. It holds the mag about 2 inches away from my body and flops around so bad the magazine just falls out. No matter how tight the "adjustable retention" screws are tightened. They will only tighten so much before the threaded base starts to spin with the screw head. No way to hold it down because it's polished smooth.

The gun holster is "ok" for 30 bucks. It's also thin and flimsy. Retention is not as tight as I would like. It flops the gun in and out from the body and conceals terribly.

I customized both the gun holster and mag carrier to work fine IWB.

The mag carrier required one hole drilled in the outer Kydex to use the IWB clip. It holds just fine now with my mods.

The gun holster I customized for appendix IWB and it is surprisingly comfortable now. And conceals much better and is more comfortable than my bulky Desantis Inside Heat leather holster I have been using for appendix. That holster ads dam near 1/2" to the guns thickness. For appendix carry the setup works great now and has almost minimal bulk.

To be honest I would never recommend the Raw Dog Tactical OWB holster or the mag carrier. I would much rather pay a little more and get a much better quality holster that I didn't have to modify to work.

Ill post pictures tomorrow. I'm on break at work right now and wanted to update y'all on the wasted money.

BTW I did message the company and posted a terrible review that is "pending approval" for their website. Seems almost like a scam. Great reviews but then I get the product and its worst than uncle mikes.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Yeah I wondered about all the 5 star reviews and the few 4 stars. Nothing under 4 stars out of like 250 reviews... Thanks for the honesty in your initial thoughts.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The customer service has responded and said the holidays are super busy and they rushed my order. They said they will remake the holster with cleaner edges and try to make a mag carrier that actually retains the mag. Now it's just a waiting game on if the words come true.

I would like a usable Kydex OWB holster for fishing and hunting.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The customer service has responded and said the holidays are super busy and they rushed my order. They said they will remake the holster with cleaner edges and try to make a mag carrier that actually retains the mag. Now it's just a waiting game on if the words come true.

I would like a usable Kydex OWB holster for fishing and hunting.
Busy is NOT an excuse to rush a product. I would be very upset. I started making my own kydex holsters after seeing the prices all over the map. Without having first hand experience with the product you don't know if you are getting a good deal or a piece of junk holster. My holsters aren't perfect (yet) but they get better with each one. I have under $10 bucks invested in equipment. I have made about 10 usable holsters so far and 2 that were a complete waste of materials and time. If you have any mechanical ability I highly recommend watching some videos and making your own holsters.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.