Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Canada we have all sorts of hoops to jump through to get our guns, one of these is our Possession Acquisition licence. Mine came up for renewal this year. Around mid summer I received and filled out the multiple page renewal package and returned it in the mail. They sent me a letter saying that I didnt place a check mark in a box that asked if im single or in a relationship. So I phoned the national firearms office and said "really ? all this waste over a checkbox ?"
They said... dont worry we can just do it over the phone with you. That was that the guy on the phone checked the box for me. Its been months and theres been no word about my application. So to day I called the national office again and they said 'we sent it out months ago. It shows here that its been sitting in the office of the provincial firearms chief since the beginning of October" So I called the office of the area firearms chief and they tell me "we need a copy of your current range membership"

Here in Canada if you own a handgun you have to be registered with a range. It happens that the only local range is a field in the woods with no targets... nothing. We pay 50 bucks to get our official membership to this "field" at the local gas station. The membership proof is nothing more than a letterhead with the range rules on it.

I just renewed the membership during the summer... but I have no idea where that letterhead went. So I have to go back to the gas station and pay another 50 for another copy of the same page track down a fax machine and then fax it in and see what they come up with next. just because I own a handgun.

Seems... ridiculous to me.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
I could be worse, think of the folks in NYC or DC.....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
First off what bearing does relationship status have? Thats a rhetorical question, I don't think there is a human being alive who can explain that, with a straight face, and have the answer make sense! :D

Secondly, good luck getting things straightened out. One of the universal laws of nature is that if a government is involved it is convoluted!

Reactions: Blackcatbones

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
What about the folks in DC or NYC ? (not meant sarcastically) I just dont know what their gun law is.
They make Canada seem like there are gun shops on every corner!

All kidding aside. In DC, NYC, Chicago... they have very restrictive laws. DC had a law struck down by the US supreme court that said in essence it was illegal to own a handgun in the district limits. It had to be locked, unloaded and it could not even be moved from room to room technically. NYC, has very restrictive limits, and Chicago is just as bad. In those cities only the bad guys usually have firearms since the law abiding people dont want to break the law.. The guy who intends to mug you has a different inclination to weapons laws! :)

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Wow! I'm glad I live in Ohio. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
New Mexico is also nice. Open carry is allowed almost anywhere except gov. facilities, schools and bars. Is a must issue state for CCW and the last gun I bought I was in and out in 15 minutes with no waiting period.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
First off what bearing does relationship status have? Thats a rhetorical question, I don't think there is a human being alive who can explain that, with a straight face, and have the answer make sense! :D
Worse yet, it's impossible to answer such an ambiguous question in a simple checkbox. Possible answers are:

a) I was last Friday night.
b) I might be next Friday night.
c) Only when I drink tequila.
d) No, my wife won't let me have relationships.
e) Yes, but don't tell my wife.
f) Take my wife, please.
g) Yes, four or five actually.
h) Does my relationship with my bank count?

And so on. American government forms usually ask about marital status. Has Canada abolished marriage? :)

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Worse yet, it's impossible to answer such an ambiguous question in a simple checkbox. Possible answers are:

a) I was last Friday night.
b) I might be next Friday night.
c) Only when I drink tequila.
d) No, my wife won't let me have relationships.
e) Yes, but don't tell my wife.
f) Take my wife, please.
g) Yes, four or five actually.
h) Does my relationship with my bank count?

And so on. American government forms usually ask about marital status. Has Canada abolished marriage? :)
Well it could work if it was "check all that apply"

Lets see....:

e)x
f)x

:D

·
32,481 Posts
Mr.Murphy not only has his laws and rules. He's got relatives,too. They're called liberals.

Things are so screwed up in the Jean Pool.....er,uh, gene pool there may be some inbreeding going on. :)
Hopefully they'll all go the way of the dodo bird. They've got the dodo part down solid.

As the witch said, "What the hex is agoing on here?"

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
good luck to you with this. the guy at the gas station will be glad to see you again, i bet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts