Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
No shortage of opinions here.

I'll agree with stupimlico above. Information on building "ghost guns" is freely available on the Internet. They may package it together so you don't have to search (but of course, it may not be straightforward).

However, it is illegal to build a machine gun, even if it is a "ghost gun". An AK-47 is an automatic weapon. Sure, you'll find people who say they have an AK-47 and, no doubt, whomever sold it said it was an AK-47, but a true AK-47 is a machine gun. They bank on that confusion, when they're just selling you shipping on instructions to build a semi-automatic gun that looks like an AK-47.

·
Super Moderator
19,803 Posts
By name, the AK is an “automatic” but it don’t mean it’s a machine gun. I have an AK-47 but it is a semi-automatic action “automatic loader”. The action/fire control unit cannot be converted to automatic. When they first opened to the civilian market, they just adjusted the sear/etc to semiautomatic but it could be easily reconverted back to semiautomatic. That’s no longer the case.

And, it is NOT illegal to build your own automatic weapon. Not sure why I keep seeing these “you can’t XYZ yourself . . .” It is not illegal to build a firearm. It is not illegal to build an automatic firearm AS LONG AS YOU BUILD IT FROM SCRATCH AND NOT FROM KITS OR GUN PARTS. You are not allowed to build a firearm and sell it or with the intent to sell. It has to be for personal use.

There is a great book out there called “Unintended Consequences” by John Ross. It can be hard to find and you really tough to find. It is written as a book of fiction (characters, etc) but is historically and factually accurate with the evolution of gun industry and laws over the past hundred years or so. It takes you on a first person journey into the court system, congressional commissioned studies on firearms laws etc. it is 860 pages and took me a few months to fully read. It cost ~ $150 brand spanking new but I paid ~ $85 for “good condition”. It is in and out of print and due to the nature of the topic is not very popular in the common press and “brick and mortar” bookstores. You will never be sorry you read it and you will find out some hoods have been pulled over our heads that we never knew or THOUGHT we cared about.
FD2A4F4A-6662-4771-AB51-A6BEB2B70F26.jpeg

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I have read that building an AK is difficult. Bending the sheet steel and using the rivets to put it together...read it is tough to do right.

·
Registered
24,687 Posts
My Daddy told me there is no such thing as a free lunch

Reactions: JimmyA

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have read that building an AK is difficult. Bending the sheet steel and using the rivets to put it together...read it is tough to do right.
I have a friend that is a AK guy and he says the same kind of thing, the sheet metal lower and the rivets are the hard part. I wonder if a person can buy an 80% aluminum lower for AKs and like what can be bought for ARs and do the same sort of router work to finish it.

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's interesting how folks will work you for the shipping cost.

Of course I'm aware that the profits are in the somewhat worthless material they provide. But it's really nice to know the esteemed members of the forum are in total agreement! :) :D ;)

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
U tube recently prohibited videos showing how to make ghost guns. The videos still exsist, but on peoples websites, just not on U Tube.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts