Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has caught my eye recently. Local ad says it's a "Taurus 38 Ultra Lite 7 shot 38".

"has wear on cylinder due to being in being in between car seat and console hard to find 7 shot less than 20 rds fired sell or trade "

They are asking $315.

The 7 shot part was what caught my eye. Be a good "faster than reloading the other gun" gun for my gf. However I know nothing about these guns really. How old is it? I see that it is discontinued...when was this done and why? What is it worth? What was it sold for new? BudsGunShop.com says the last price they listed them for was $388 but not when that was.

Are these +P rated?

I'm not worried about the finish damage. Just mainly if it's a good piece before I even bother the owner.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That would be a reasonable price at the gun stores in my area. I'd offer a little less due to the finish wear, but I don't think you'd get hurt at 315.00.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had one when they first came out and mine would lock up after shooting it a couple times. Sent it to Taurus and still the same when I got it back, sold it.

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
Does not sound like a bad deal to me. Depends on where you are, used guns in S. FL retain a high resale value.

·
23,466 Posts
But 7 rounds? Dang, that would make for narrow chamber walls, so I would probably say NO to +P, but who knows?
You're familiar with the 7 round .357s, right? That's a pretty bulky cylinder.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Reactions: silverblackman

·
32,811 Posts
Definitely not for +P use.
The Taurus website would not agree with that assessment.

Model 817SS2UL | .38 SPL +P RATED

Model 817B2UL | .38 SPL +P RATED
Archived Item

Model 817BULC | .38 SPL +P RATED
Archived Item

Model 817SSULC | .38 SPL +P RATED
Archived Item

·
32,811 Posts
The Taurus 617 and 817 are built on the same frame. Compact frame that is. True, the size seems big, but a snub revolver holding 7 shots is hard to beat.

There are plenty of 617 owners here who use their's for CCW carry.

Being short means one might have a problem hiding it comfortably and then again it depends on the owners ability and size to carry it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Were the hammers and triggers on these case hardened or unfinished or whatever?
Now there's an 817 on Armslist that I'm suspicious is the same gun but the owner is asking $400 with a couple boxes of ammo. There don't appear to be the marks on the cylinder that the other had (but that could have been general scuzz) however the "blotches" on the trigger look similar.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts