Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a 9mm Compact. I have a PF9 but it's actually just a bit too small for me and i'd like something with a bit bigger and smoother of a shooter too (the PF9 if very snappy).

Anyhow, I've narrowed my choices to the usual suspects Glock, XD but I've also been hearing a LOT of good things about the M&P. I'm just wondering if anyone has one or has shot one. I pretty much know all the features so I'd like to hear how it shoots and in general what people think of them.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I will not attempt to decide for you which gun works for you best, as outside of Jesus bringing you a pistol on your nighstand (one can only hope!)only you can be the best arbiter of what fits your needs.

I personally reviewed the .40 S&W and 9mm variants of Smith and Wesson's M&P series of pistol. Glock should feel very flattered , as the M&P duplicates the glock down to the trigger pull and low-slide profile design. The grips are quite unique and are worthy of the praise bestowed upon them by the M&P pistol's supporters.To this day it stands as the best polymer frame pistol grip I have sampled yet.It is superior to the Taurus PT809, which is the model I compared the M&P to and eventually choose over it.

The reasons why my Taurus 809 sits on my hip instead of an M&P can be described with one word:break. The trigger feel on the M&P is to my hand atrocious.A great deal of noodley takeup followed by a confusing and abrubt transition to heavy stiffness. It is as if a bureaucrat from the ATF materializes next to you to ask politely if indeed you really do intend to discharge the weapon. Increase pressure, and the imaginary paper pusher once again insists on your certainty of firing the pistol as your trigger finger meets even heavier resistance.Once you have accustomed yourself mentally to the idea that the pistol will not fire and that you should return it to the counter it finally breaks.This could be forgiven if the break was smooth , crisp, and light,but none of these things is a stock M&P pistol trigger pull.

Any desire to acquire one of those handguns died the first time I sampled the trigger on my PT809. It is by no means perfect, but if the PT809's trigger could be compared to vacation spots I would peg it as a vacation to Miami FL , versus the M&P's all expenses paid package to Natick, Massachusetts.For scale reference I would consider a 1911's crisp break to a voyage to the Bahamas.

Reactions: oso and bre346

·
Super Moderator
21,632 Posts
I've owned a Glock 19, a 24/7 C DS in 45 and a Springfield XD-9 I just looked at a XDm compact in 9mm and was impressed by the trigger much better then my plain 4" XD
But pricey. I have held a M&P and fiddled with it but have never shot one . It holds to a good reputation and is often seen in competition So I have to say what ever one feels right to you. Good luck. Give the Taurus 809 a try I have heard good things about it and if I did not have a carry 9 mm I would buy one.

·
22,058 Posts
I own 3 M&P handguns. below is my .40 and the one I am holding in the bottom pic is my competition gun, the 9Pro.

The trigger on the Pro was excellent out of the box. The .40 smoothed out aft about 200 rounds. I also have a .45
in the Dark Earth finish and it is the best polymer .45 I have ever shot. I owned an XD .45 and I have shot Glocks.
There is no comparison to the M&P fit and ergonomics. The closest in my opinion is the XDM. A lot of LE departments
have been switching from Glock to the M&P. The city of Atlanta recently went all M&P and the officers I have talked
to love it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own the M&P 40 and I like the gun and the fact it has interchangeable back straps shoots well and like that it has an ambidextrous safety. The only thing I found disappointing compared to my 24/7 40 cal is the trigger feels a bit gritty not as smooth. This could be taken care of by a gun smith I'm sure but my Taurus was smooth right out of the box why can't S&W get it right.

I can't say there all that way maybe just bad luck on my part but its still a good gun for sure.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
The full size M&P 9mm was one of the most accurate plastic pistols I shot. I think the trigger is better than glocks and the fact you can change the grip profile to your particular hand speaks well to the design team that thought up this gun.

·
Administrator
40,179 Posts
Texas DPS, isn't giving up their Sigs, but are going to offer the option of the M&P to it's officers. I've only handled one, and I liked what I saw. Nice handguns!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I love the M&P If I could only have one handgun I THINK it would be an M&P model of some type.. course tomorrow it might be a 1911 =P

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I can't seem to find anything but good about the M&P so I think that just might be my next purchase. What I did find out however is that they make a drop in 9mm barrel for the 40c so I may just get that and the 9mm barrel, sort of like two guns in one!

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Shoot the SR9c from Ruger. It is a compact with little recoil and a trigger nearly as sweet as the Pt1911. I've not shot any of the Taurus line in 9m. I just traded into a smith 9VE and while I like the pistol, I'll take the SR9c over it anytime.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a M&P9C, have put over 3000 rounds through it, not one single problem.
Actually the only thing I didn't care for were the sights. I installed a set of firesights on it which work great for me (eyes getting old).
Had a early model SR9, after the trigger recall I could see this gun was not going to work for me. Sold it and bought the M&P 9C, not been sorry.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
SilverTauron your reply had me rolling, i haven't laughed like that in a while. although i don't agree with you, it still was very funny

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a friend who has two M&P's, and he loves them, one is a longslide he's had the trigger worked on and you can shoot it so fast it sounds like an Uzi. I don't have one because of the frame cracking issues in .45, which is what all my autos are. I also have a policy of buying no NEW Smith and Wessons, just like I have for Colt, so that kinda prevents me form owning one. I have an FNP, which quite possibly may be the ULTIMATE COMBAT handgun, and a XDm and I love both of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts