Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the process of getting a 15# recoil spring per the suggestions here.

I was looking at the hammer spring and Wilson has a reduced power 19# spring. So has anyone used these hammer springs? Pros or cons? I really only care to have it for the reduced weight of the hammer if your asking why would you do that.

Well I got the springs ordered from Midway should be here in a few days. I was going to get them directly from Wilson but shipping was going to be $10. Seems a bit pricey to me when the shipping is just as much has the parts. Oh well no ranting just a little sticker shock is all.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Personally I would leave the stock 23 lb in for slide speed reduction with standard and heavy hardball loads. If you're a reloader and using lighter bullets and light loads then drop the recoil spring and hammer spring weights for reliable cycling.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I am not sure the stock Taurus mainspring is 23#, I believe Cuban inquired by calling Taurus to find out the mainspring# and surprisingly it was pretty light, i think Cuban said he was told 17# which is one of the lightest in the industry.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
well the pro's is a tad bit faster cycle time, the con is that when you pull the trigger the worst sound to a shooter can be heard --"CLICK", especially if shooting target loads with harder primers due to foreign made ammo, and shame on you if it does that and you really need that sefl defense round to go BANG!
I have no idea what the actual weight of the mainspring is?
I just do not want a light trigger on a carry 1911, 4 pounds is as light as i go, carry or range gun personally.
I actually increased the trigger pull weight on my Dan Wesson as it was just way to light.
still a nice smooth trigger just a bit heavier.
Same idea i have about the mainspring, I don't care to go to the range and have dimpled primers when i shoot,.
enjoy.
But 1911 can be like barbie dolls and you cna play dress up to your hearts content.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I will try it see what the hammer spring does on the range. We will try it with 230gr and 185gr see what happens and I'll give a report. I am not looking for it to lighten the trigger if so I'll play with the 3 finger spring to get the trigger back where I want it. I am not doing my own loading right now I don't have the brass and the primers and bullets I want can't be found locally at this time. I use Ga-Arms ammo in all my handguns is not cheap chinese junk.

As far as the 15# recoil I should be good right? That is what some of have suggested.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I am in the process of getting a 15# recoil spring per the suggestions here.

I was looking at the hammer spring and Wilson has a reduced power 19# spring. So has anyone used these hammer springs? Pros or cons? I really only care to have it for the reduced weight of the hammer if your asking why would you do that.

Well I got the springs ordered from Midway should be here in a few days. I was going to get them directly from Wilson but shipping was going to be $10. Seems a bit pricey to me when the shipping is just as much has the parts. Oh well no ranting just a little sticker shock is all.
Rich, about 2 years ago I called Taurus and spoke with Christian one of the Taurus Managers and asked him to provide me with the spring wieght for the recoil and main spring on the PT1911, at the time he did not have this information available and assured me that he would request the information from Brazil and that he would call back with the information, to my surprice the next day I recieved a call from Christian and he told me that the wieght of the main spring was 17.4 lb and that the wieght of the recoil spring was 16 lb, I think that 17.4 is the lowestI've ever herd of but maybe thats why the PT1911 has a reputation for having a light trigger, most owner don't like even messing with them, so I don't think that you will notice much difference from the Wilson 19 lb main spring, as far as the re-coil spring, in about 1500 rounds it will feel like a 15 lb spring, so I wouldn't change out your stock re-coil spring but its nice to have a spare, what your experiencing right now is a side effect of the 1911 addiction (tinkering fever) and you'll be tempted to change out every part on your 1911, which should be helpfull to gain experience, but just remember that your 1911 came from the factory with quality parts that were manufactured by Taurus to work in harmoney with all the other parts and when you change out any of the parts the new ones will have to be fitted to work in harmoney with what ever remaining stock part are left, My PT1911 has over 20K rounds through it and it still has all its stock parts with plenty of life left.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Well I will try it see what the hammer spring does on the range. We will try it with 230gr and 185gr see what happens and I'll give a report. I am not looking for it to lighten the trigger if so I'll play with the 3 finger spring to get the trigger back where I want it. I am not doing my own loading right now I don't have the brass and the primers and bullets I want can't be found locally at this time. I use Ga-Arms ammo in all my handguns is not cheap chinese junk.
As far as the 15# recoil I should be good right? That is what some of have suggested.
Well a test will tell for sure, in the case of the mainspring i personally had rather have the insurance that its a bit heavy rather than a bit light for sure function.
Now reading your post i need to ask--
You do realize that the mainspring and the three prong (sear) spring do different functions right?
let us know how it runs.
The recoil spring weight should be picked out for the weight and power of the round that you are shooting usually a 16-17 pound spring works across a wide range of ammunition.
I always start with a 16 1/2-17 pounder but thats just my choice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cuban, Olf.

Thanks for the info. I find that I have wasted the money on the mainspring as the Wilson unit is heavier. Yes olf I understand the functions of the main and 3 finger spring and also understand they have different jobs. I found that my PT1911 was made in 2009 which is older than I thought by the good condition that it seems to be in. Yes I do have the modifying bug but that goes for anything I have. I've only had it a week and already stripped every part out of it and put it back together.

If nothing else I will have extra springs on hand if something happens .

I have already taken it apart and took some of the take up out of the trigger, but left just a little bit to insure trigger reset. I have polished the feed ramp and barrel throat. Also a bit on polishing and de-burring of some internals. And took alittle bit of tension off the beaver tail. YES I am being careful not to remove metal just clean up. I will be getting a new hammer and have it fitted, and I'd like an over sized slide lock, and atleased a tritium front sight, oh yea and a set of hogue 45000 grips. Other than that just some extra parts on hand encase something should fail.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Cuban, Olf.

Thanks for the info. I find that I have wasted the money on the mainspring as the Wilson unit is heavier. Yes olf I understand the functions of the main and 3 finger spring and also understand they have different jobs. I found that my PT1911 was made in 2009 which is older than I thought by the good condition that it seems to be in. Yes I do have the modifying bug but that goes for anything I have. I've only had it a week and already stripped every part out of it and put it back together.

If nothing else I will have extra springs on hand if something happens .

I have already taken it apart and took some of the take up out of the trigger, but left just a little bit to insure trigger reset. I have polished the feed ramp and barrel throat. Also a bit on polishing and de-burring of some internals. And took alittle bit of tension off the beaver tail. YES I am being careful not to remove metal just clean up. I will be getting a new hammer and have it fitted, and I'd like an over sized slide lock, and atleased a tritium front sight, oh yea and a set of hogue 45000 grips. Other than that just some extra parts on hand encase something should fail.
Interesting that you found the 19 lb Wilson mainspring to be heavier then the stock Taurus mainspring guess that confirms that the Taurus is in the 17.4 range which is good information to have, I personally changed mine out for a 23lb mainspring and a square bottom firing pin stop to manage the recoil better and did a trigger job, my trigger breaks at 3.5 lb with the 23 lb mainspring, but it is a little harder to thumb cock the hammer thats for sure.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
well extra parts ain't a bad thing,and the wilson mainspring is fine, I think that i have needed to replace 1 mainspring in my 1911's?
for some reason a brand new ATI commander had a kinked mainspring,likely not hurting a thing but I went on and replaced it, I mean there are a lot of things i might worry about wasting cash on but a few bucks for springs ain't it.
Actually it might be real sad for me to actually count the number of brand new recoil springs I got in the box-LOL
just seems to be a natural thing to order while you are ordering other stuff!
-He-he-He.
I can see the wife and kids going through my stuff after i pass on and trying to figure out why "Dad" had 473 --1911 recoil springs!
likely think i had a fetish or sumpten.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting that you found the 19 lb Wilson mainspring to be heavier then the stock Taurus mainspring guess that confirms that the Taurus is in the 17.4 range which is good information to have, I personally changed mine out for a 23lb mainspring and a square bottom firing pin stop to manage the recoil better and did a trigger job, my trigger breaks at 3.5 lb with the 23 lb mainspring, but it is a little harder to thumb cock the hammer thats for sure.

Whoa slow down Cuban.:D

I was going off your info of 17.4# vs the Wilson at 19# I haven't received the springs yet. They say it will be here Monday, but ups say's it is in Atlanta already so I hope it will be here by friday. My goal is a little lighter thumb cock I like the trigger pull where it is now which is a guess at 4.5-5#.

I would like a new trigger. Mine has too much up and down movement.

I will report on new vs old mainspring.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Possibility Taurus uses the lighter spring is because of the series 80 firing pin block, it can pass the drop test. For grins I pulled the MSH on my Metro Arms (series 70) and put a force gauge on it. Yikes, 26 lbs. No wonder it had such a heavy trigger. Dropped in a 19 lb spring and it made a noticeable difference. Didn't have to tweak the sear spring.

·
Registered
24,850 Posts
You want to be careful using a reduced power main spring. Too light can cause FTF.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I took out my stock spring many thousands of rounds ago, I replaced it with a 23 lb main spring, because I reverted my 1911 to like what JMB had designed a 100 years ago, and that is with a small radius FPS and a 23 lb main spring so that the hammer produces the most resistance to the slide which in turn softens the impact to the frames abutment then you reduce you recoil spring to 15 lb to further reduce the felt forward recoil and ultimately giving the perception of a reduced recoil cycle, I do believe that the most benifit derived by a softer cycle will increase the life of your 1911 for a much longer period of time, but if you have soft fingers I wouldn't recommend such alteration to your PT1911, because changing your main spring to a 23 lb will make thumb cocking the hammer much more difficult, which proves the point of added slide resistance = slower slide = softer impact = less recoil, fellows chew on that a bit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You want to be careful using a reduced power main spring. Too light can cause FTF.

I have found that the PT1911 mainspring is already lighter than 19#. Cuban said it was somewhere in the 17.5# range. After installing the Wilson 19# MS it is obvious the factory MS is lighter than 19#. I say that cubans info is correct on the factory spring weight. For me the 19# MS is more than I want and my MS is probably a little weakened over the few years of use. If I end up needing a new MS I will give the folks in Miami a call.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'm going to test it with my reloads using CCI, Remington, Winchester and S&B primers. It hasn't been a issue with my Taurus (even with the speed hammer) and the stock hammer spring.

I'm only concern it the long term abuse of the faster cycling time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts