Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I've been doing a little research into safes.
Lowes has one safe that I'm considering.
It has a fire rating of 1200 for 20 minutes and weighs in at 245lbs.

I only have a few thousand dollars worth of guns so I can't put thousands into a safe.
On the other hand I want to have some protection against theft.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Shop Liberty Centurion 12-Gun Black Gun Safe at Lowes.com

· Registered
8,812 Posts
Here are some links to recent safe discussion at T-A. I have the Cannon 24 gun safe and it got small real quick. While I had some issues with it early on, all is resolved and I'm a happy camper. Cannon probably has the best warranty in the market. I picked mine up on sale in December from Academy stores at about $550 out the door. It has a couple of adjustable shelves and an inside door panel with storage pockets which is quite handy. The safes from TSC are very competitive in price.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/firing-line/88075-tsc-called-sunday-2-10-got-my-cannon-challenger-safe-accessories.html

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/firing-line/86505-looking-24-gun-safe.html

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/firing-line/85399-looking-safes.html

· Registered
2,850 Posts
I picked up a 24 gun Winchester safe at Tractor Supply last week for $699. As Wino said a safe can get small pretty quickly so I would recommend you get one larger than you currently need. If you can wait you may be able to get them on sale during Memorial Day or Fathers Day though. Here is the one I picked up. Some advice though make sure you have some help lined up to move it if you are not paying for delivery. If you are putting it upstairs, the delivery fee may be worth it. This safe weighs 507 pounds empty.

Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - 1043297 | Tractor Supply Company

· Administrator
42,841 Posts
Look for the biggest and heaviest you can afford. Like others are saying, they get small fast. All the weight you can afford, will make burglars at least work for it, if they try to take it.

· Registered
7,332 Posts
If you have to opt for a less expensive, and lighter weight, safe, keep in mind that securing it to the wall and/or floor with LOTS of STRONG fasteners can accomplish, more or less, the same thing that heaviness will. If it's inside a closet, it will be harder to use a crowbar to compromise the fasteners. Of course, a light weight safe will never have the fire protection that a big thick safe will have.

Lack of a decent air exchange from inside to outside the safe or not using desiccant can ruin your guns with moisture.

· Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess what?
Everyone is out of stock on gun safes.
No big surprise

10,382 Posts
But won't a larger safe encourage you to buy more guns than necessary? :)

There's such a thing as necessary? Or too many? Oh man, I've been doing it wrong!<g>

Reactions: Wino
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.