Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know pics would help, but I don't have any. Anyway, unless she changes her mind, I will be trading an old (not pretty, but mechanically sound 'pre 37 model airweight', to a lady for her 60-3 SS 3" Ladysmith, rosewood grips, no box, excellent condition. She bought it a long time ago, and doesn't like the 3 inch barrel.

I am mainly going to trade with her to use her ladysmith for another trade with a LGD. He has a nice model 85 SS 3". He's not at all interested in my old airweight, but he is in the ladysmith. I will be swapping with the lady in a couple days, but I'm just wondering if I will be giving too much if I swap the ladysmith even for the 85. The LDS says the lady he bought the 85 from, put five rounds of +P through it. She even gave him the rest of the box with 45 rounds in it. And I must say, it looks new.

If the ladysmith was rated +P, I would just keep it, but it's not, hence the trade.

Any thoughts would be read with interest.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Wow, your rational sounds like me! I think I take after my grandfather. Anyway, I have frequently over the last twenty-five years traded or did combos for this and that so that I could get the firearm I really wanted. It all sounds to me like a pretty fair swap -- especially if you will be happier with the resulting firearm when the deal is done. By the way, where did you here that the LS is not +p rated? That's a new one to me. I thought that all of the newer productions Smiths were +p rated....

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, your rational sounds like me! I think I take after my grandfather. Anyway, I have frequently over the last twenty-five years traded or did combos for this and that so that I could get the firearm I really wanted. It all sounds to me like a pretty fair swap -- especially if you will be happier with the resulting firearm when the deal is done. By the way, where did you here that the LS is not +p rated? That's a new one to me. I thought that all of the newer productions Smiths were +p rated....
Thanks for chimen in RF,

She says she has had the gun since about 94, bought it used, and the 60-3 edition was made around 89 I believe. Those from that era are supposedly non +P.

As far as the trade goes, I see CTD has the 85 3" for $350 NIB. I am just wonderin' if I'm smarter just selling the LS, rather than trading it for an 'officially' used 85 with no box. It's not easy finding 3" Ls for sale in order to judge it's value.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I'd say keep the Smith & Wesson. I like taurus revolvers, but the S&W will retain it's value longer. Try searching GunBroker's completed sales to find out what each gun is selling for.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Ok, I just ran over to GunBroker. There's a lot of S&W 60's there, including the LS. New LS 60's are selling in the $700 range. Depending on the condition, the 60-3 is probably worth $450-550. The used Taurus 85 3" depending on age and condition is worth maybe $300 tops. I'm going to have to do more research, but I believe a 60-3 is +p rated. Your choice to make.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I just ran over to GunBroker. There's a lot of S&W 60's there, including the LS. New LS 60's are selling in the $700 range. Depending on the condition, the 60-3 is probably worth $450-550. The used Taurus 85 3" depending on age and condition is worth maybe $300 tops. I'm going to have to do more research, but I believe a 60-3 is +p rated. Your choice to make.
Thank, Laker, appreciate the input.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Limited +P would be fine.....and good to use in SD also...practice with Wad Cutters !!!!

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Limited +P would be fine.....and good to use in SD also...practice with Wad Cutters !!!!
Buckeye, can you define 'limited' +P's, and how you identify them?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
A Model 60 can handle +P ammunition. All steel S&W revolvers can, even if they are not so marked on the gun.

It's the older Airweights before the changeover to the J-magnum frame that +P should be avoided.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A Model 60 can handle +P ammunition. All steel S&W revolvers can, even if they are not so marked on the gun.

It's the older Airweights before the changeover to the J-magnum frame that +P should be avoided.
OK, thanks PD.

Also, while reading Bucheye's post again, I just has a 'Duh" moment. I now realize he meant 'limited use' of +P, and I thought he was referring to a special load!

I guess I was making 'limited use' of my brain.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I've a 60-4 in 3 inch that I will not trade. It's just too sweet. In fact I traded an Airweight with laser for it.
(Glad to see somethin' from NYPD)

·
Registered
36,663 Posts

WELL!! look what the dawgs drug in!!
good to see ya back NYPD!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts