Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post of a hopefully long relationship.

Yesterday I was laying on the floor in front of my gun cabinet. Tucked in the back I found 6 full boxes and 3 partial boxes of 22 mag ammo. Now I need a revolver to stick these in. What do you think of the 941 series for a "nice and handy" outdoors type handgun? I'm leaning to the UL. Anyone willing to share some experience ?............Thx

P.S. I also found 3 boxes of 38 special......HEHEHE

·
Super Moderator
35,132 Posts
The gun is fine, however, I never cared for .22 mag in handguns. There is absolutely nothing a .22 mag can do that a .22 LR can't do at cheaper costs in ammo. .22 mag is loaded for rifles with powders efficient in rifles. From a rifle, it produces between 300 and 400 ft lbs. That's about what a .38 +P does from a 6" revolver and it's doing that with a tiny bullet. It's mostly flash and bang out of a handgun. I'll give you a little more energy, but heck, what's it good for that a .22LR can't shoot far as hunting goes? I'd certainly not rely upon it for self defense. I can buy a box of 9mm for about the same money as .22 mag and I can reload it for a lot less. The 9 is a heck of a lot more effective as defense calibers go.

I traded a guy out of a .22 mag rifle a while back. I never really had a reason to buy one, but it was a good trade for a little motorcycle I had no need for and was trying to get rid of. It is flat shooting and 100-150 yard shooting is fun which is a stretch for my best .22LR. However, what would I HUNT with it that I can't kill with my .22s down here? I do some squirrel hunting, but the LR works great for that. The gun is good fun at the range, though, and I guess that alone is reason enough to own it. :D I guess if you WANT a .22 mag handgun, there really is no reason to logically justify it if it's fun to shoot. I just always tend to do such. Had I not run into that trade, I'd still not know the joys of the .22 mag in a rifle, I reckon. It is quite the hoot, accurate little bugger.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
That is why I got my Heritage SA revolver. Cheap shooting, with 22LR, fun with the 22 mag cylinder. Only reason I would get another revolver in 22, would be if I found one cheap enough. I can live without the magnum, but I would love the 9 rd of 22LR, in a 4 to 6 inch gun, but I would buy a 2" if it was cheap enough.

·
Super Moderator
35,132 Posts
I've thought a NAA Mini Master with both cylinders would be way cool. :D

My first handgun as a kid was a "Hawes" .22 single action switch cylinder, similar to the Heritage. I hardly ever used the mag cylinder. You kinda need adjustable sights when switching between the two, at least on that one it would have been nice. It shot to a different POI with the mag cylinder.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ruger also makes a very nice 22LR/22 Magnum switch-cylinder SA pistol. More expensive than the Heritage but it will last forever. This would bea great 22LR for a range-pounder and would be dirt-cheap to shoot 22LR all day for $12-$15.

·
Super Moderator
35,132 Posts
Ruger also makes the Bearcat, or did, don't know if it's still in production. It was brought back from the grave some years ago. It doesn't have adjustable sights like the Single Six, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first handgun was a Colt 22 switch cylinder. Mine was a total piece of junk as compared to my brothers Ruger 22/22mag. Fortunately I dumped that Colt revolver on something else and got what I paid. Unfortunately it is probably worth more now that the "something else" I needed at the time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a single six buntline, 91/2" barrel, that shot 22lr and 22mag to same poa at 25 yards. The 22 mag cylinder did good duty on armadillos and jackrabbits in west central Texas . The gun also got decent velocity with the 22 mag , in the 1500 range +/- . However i have a Ruger 77R in 22 mag and a Contender 10" that milk more velocity out of the little round ! The 10" Contender gets 1800+ , actual chronograph results, and the rifle gets 1900+ and like i said they will stretch the little round to 150yards effectively. I took the Contender to Wyoming when I was there on an antelope hunt and after hunting antelope we shot prairie dogs out to 150 yards with the 22 mag contender . CCI 22mag +V dropped the PD's nicely with a center chest shot and we had a lot of fun doing it. A 22mag has a place in the scheme of things , I just don't think it is in a short barreled pistol.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have a couple of 4" 941's that I am saving for my sons. I also have a couple of Marlin 22 mag rifles for them as well. The keltec pmr-30 is all mine. What's not to like about a high capacity lightweight 22 mag semi auto?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have two revolvers that have a .22 mag cylinder but I have never used them. For revolvers, I just shoot .22 LR. I do have a .22 magnum lever action rifle with a scope that I use for varmints, it works much better than .22 LR for varmints.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The gun is fine, however, I never cared for .22 mag in handguns. There is absolutely nothing a .22 mag can do that a .22 LR can't do at cheaper costs in ammo. .22 mag is loaded for rifles with powders efficient in rifles. From a rifle, it produces between 300 and 400 ft lbs. That's about what a .38 +P does from a 6" revolver and it's doing that with a tiny bullet. It's mostly flash and bang out of a handgun. I'll give you a little more energy, but heck, what's it good for that a .22LR can't shoot far as hunting goes? I'd certainly not rely upon it for self defense. I can buy a box of 9mm for about the same money as .22 mag and I can reload it for a lot less. The 9 is a heck of a lot more effective as defense calibers go.

I traded a guy out of a .22 mag rifle a while back. I never really had a reason to buy one, but it was a good trade for a little motorcycle I had no need for and was trying to get rid of. It is flat shooting and 100-150 yard shooting is fun which is a stretch for my best .22LR. However, what would I HUNT with it that I can't kill with my .22s down here? I do some squirrel hunting, but the LR works great for that. The gun is good fun at the range, though, and I guess that alone is reason enough to own it. :D I guess if you WANT a .22 mag handgun, there really is no reason to logically justify it if it's fun to shoot. I just always tend to do such. Had I not run into that trade, I'd still not know the joys of the .22 mag in a rifle, I reckon. It is quite the hoot, accurate little bugger.
Good advise right here! You could build a DYNAMITE .22mag target/varmit rifle for cheap!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I think the 22 magnum makes an excellent defensive revolver cartridge, especially in modern loadings like Critical Defense. Bill Jordan also thought the cartridge was a good defensive choice. Currently, in my area, 22lr is going for 8 bucks a box or so, and 22 magnum is running 14 to 15 a box of 100. I often carry a j-frame in this caliber as a backup. For a fun gun, the Standard Mfg Thunderstruck is interesting. It has two barrels and fires two rounds at once.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think I might sit back and wait for Heritage to bring out their Rancher revolver carbine in .22 Magnum. As mentioned, the Magnum works better in longer barrels.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I like the nine round Taurus model 992 revolver in SS with a (approx.) 5 inch barrel it comes with two easy to switch nine round cylinders, one for .22 mag and the other one for the standard .22 assorted rounds. It is a fun gun to shoot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think I might sit back and wait for Heritage to bring out their Rancher revolver carbine in .22 Magnum. As mentioned, the Magnum works better in longer barrels.
You can buy the .22 mag 6 round cylinder from Heritage. Thirty or forty dollars.

·
Registered
163 Posts
interesting heads up ,22lr vs .22 mag testing in same model short barrel revolvers --------------

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd say 200fps more for the 22 Mag in a 3" barrel vs. 22LR in a 3" barrel is a significant increase. It's about the difference between a 38spl and a 357 Mag or a 30-06 vs a 300 Win Mag.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts